It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good place to park an RV near Area 51?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hi guys,

I am a very firm supporter of the Second Amendment but I am not sure bringing a firearm would be a good idea.

If you are coming in from out-of-state with a firearm there are a LOT of things to consider, especially if you are in a vehicle like an RV that has open access between the driving area and the living area.

At a minimun, while traveling, the firearm should be unloaded, in a case and in a place inaccessible to the passenger compartment (like the trunk).

In the end, it's probably a risk vs. benefit argument. On the one hand there is your personal safety (two women, scary desert, etc). On the other hand. if there is ANY chance of interaction with police/security, the presence of a gun is going to cause things to get VERY bad VERY quickly.
A simple Q&A, show us ID, show us your boobs, etc. could turn into a felony.

Nobody ever plans to interact with law enforcement at Area 51, but things like a flat tire or getting lost could result in having to talk to them. They may sniff around for their own safety and you definitely don't want them to find anything, including guns or any other 'items'.

Anyway, it's a tough call and I think if it was *any* other place but a top secret government installation I would say absolutely, but there are just too many variables.

There are a lot of things, however, that I WOULD recommend:

-- Water. LOTS and lots of water.
-- Lip balm
-- Deodorant
-- Vibrating anal probe

Why is everybody looking at me like that?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hi Trisch. Instead of a full size RV, think about a smaller class C. I'm 5 ft., 110 lbs and have no problem at all maneuvering ours. You may even consider pulling a small car behind it. And no worries, the dump tank will hold you for at least a week.

Sounds like a great trip, just play it smart and careful. I think that I would be more worried about the rattlesnakes and scorpions than the camo dudes.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hsur, there are only 2 of us going, we are getting the smallest possible. Neither of us wants to learn how to drive a huge RV in the city of Las Vegas
Thanks for the info on the tank, been wanting that questions answered! The only sign of life I saw last time were cows, rabbit, and an armadillo looking thing. As far as scorpions, I won't be laying on the ground or barefoot, so I think we should be ok
as long as they don't jump. Not worried about camo dudes, just the possibility of crazy people out there (besides us)

Emsed, the pros vs cons is pretty much all we are thinking about the firearm. We know the safety and how to store it etc... and how to bring a firearm on a plane.. I doubt proper storage of a firearm is going to upset any cops, I am sure they are used to it out there, like in Oregon. BUT the fact that we are camped out at a military installation armed is what I am worried about, that's what I would like to know.. Does anybody bring along a firearm? What about a pellet gun for shooting targets while bored?
Just kidding, kind of. Flak jacket? Now *I* sound paranoid

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Trisch]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

The sheriff department may stop and talk to those parked by the road. Even if you are parked on the gravel spot, they may pay a visit. As you probably know, anything visible through the glass is fair game for the PD. If they ask to search your car, ask for a warrant. I won't go into the details but I know someone who spent a pile of money fighting a drug bust from the LC sheriff.

Most people are really crappy shots. About the stupidest thing you find in the desert are those people that try to shoot snakes. Not exactly much body mass with a snake. Just toss a rock and the snake will feel the vibration and move out of the way. Really, all you need out there is a walking stick, which the locals refer to as a friendship stick.

I encounter easily 10x the snakes in the local bay area parks than I do in the desert. Generally all I ever see in the desert are cute little bunny rabbits. Well, the rabbits aren't exactly little, but you know what I mean.

Now the Tonopah Test Range is another story. Lots of wildlife out there. The coyotes will serenade you to sleep. The wild horses will watch you for hours. Big horn sheep like to stampede. The only hunters I've met are looking for sheep or dove.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac

The sheriff department may stop and talk to those parked by the road. Even if you are parked on the gravel spot, they may pay a visit.

More photo opportunities! Do they just make sure we are ok and ask what we are doing? I guess there isn't much else they could ask..

Most people are really crappy shots. About the stupidest thing you find in the desert are those people that try to shoot snakes.

I could never shoot a snake! I'd rather shoot someone shooting a snake. Thanks for the tip on scaring them away, I wasn't sure if they were in that part of the desert or not, now I know.

Now the Tonopah Test Range is another story. Lots of wildlife out there. The coyotes will serenade you to sleep. The wild horses will watch you for hours. Big horn sheep like to stampede. The only hunters I've met are looking for sheep or dove.

I took a photo of what I thought was a goat of some kind at first, and saw that it must be a cow being that size, but it sure looked like a horse, I didn't think about wild horses, and I didn't think they would be on the open range. Cool! It was a wild horse!! And we were driving a Mustang! I had a horse obsession when I was a kid (finally got one) and always dreamed about seeing wild ones. I guess now I have. I can die with a smile! After I see Kraftwerk live that is... and after this trip, which by the way.. We got our tickets and the RV today. All systems are Go.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The other thing you see in the area of the TTR are pronhorn, which is an antelope of sorts.
en.wikipedia.org...

There are cattle on the TTR too. Most of the range is grazing land, though I would hardly call these contented cows. [Hot as hell, not much water, and nothing green to eat.]

When I went looking for the A12 crash, I met this guy near the "one room school house". [You pass the sign on route 93.] He appeared as normal as can be expected for someone that lives in Elgin, though he had rather large peace symbol studs in his ears. Anyway, he told me he picks up snakes all the time if they are in the road, and to be sure not to run over any snakes.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well I am jealous.

Take lots and lots of pictures and video! (pictures of the base would be nice too) lol

Be sure and write up a trip report for dreamland resort. It sounds like you will all have a great time.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
WoW.....Area 51 groupies....I heard some still exist, but never really believed it.
Why anyone would want to go to a place so well watched on the off chance something might be visible is really beyond me.
With so many things to do in the desert--Valley Of Fire, Cathedral Gorge, Petroglyphs everywhere, hidden streams and ghost towns, why anyone would want to sit in a dusty parking lot hoping to see a not-so-secret flight while people who's only entertainment is in watching you and looking up all your personal info to the smallest detail, taking a bunch of pictures, and making a large file on you that never goes away eludes me.

Hey, I guess it's your money and your trip.
Have Phun, but remember that this trip may come back to haunt you if you ever want a job requiring a security clearance.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think it's the whole thing of just wanting be there. To somebody who lives thousands of miles away it might be interesting, but it would be boring to somebody who lives there.

I think it's like that whole thing where people say they want to roll around in a big pile of money. Folks at banks and stores who work around it all day long realize that money is just dirty nasty paper and would never want to do it.

It sounds like not much goes on out there anymore. It just seems like ever since the government acknowledged the existence of the base in the 90's and commercial satellites started releasing pictures it took a lot of the mystery out of it.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox
Hey, I guess it's your money and your trip.
Have Phun, but remember that this trip may come back to haunt you if you ever want a job requiring a security clearance.

I don't want a job requiring a security clearance. Thanks for the warning. I don't want a job at all. I want to move to the desert and live cheap and see the stars every night. I tried to visit the ghost towns last time, didn't have time and had a party pooper with me. This time we may do it, depends on how bored we get. I have the maps to the ghost towns of interest.

Emsed, rolling around in a big pile of money would be neat. It would make a cool picture. I have never worked at a bank either
Nor would I want to. B-O-R-I-N-G

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
looking forward to an update on this...

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That sounds cool,I had my 4x4 tricked out,love to see them catch me on the off road,when are you going everyone around here want to stay in a 5 star hotel,I'm going to Vegas in March in a 5 star lol,but I can leave,plus have dvd player and screens in car

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Cammo Dudes are idiots nothing more than Barney Fife type security that got # duty for some screw up down the line, Yes they can arrest and detain you but the ones you need to beware of are actual M.P.'s they can give chase beyond Groome Lake Road and onto the Highway but are more likely to encounter them at the back door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Black Hawk Patrols are all military and they will blow you a new one if needed, for those that are very dumb like myself and have taken a ride out along the bombing range there are way to many low flying aircraft out there no match for any ground vehicle or person on foot....

Weapon definately recommended and disregard the guy that said to keep it unloaded Nevada is full of freaks and criminals, 2 women 5 days camping in the desert this is the beginning to alot of Horror movies!!!!!!!!

Keep your weapon loaded at all times with the safety off and ready to go unless traveling on the highway because I'm a guy Dirt Bike rider and some of the people out around Groome are just plain Screwed up and not to be trusted and this is coming from a guy that hangs around Hells Angels!!!!

Enjoy your trip hope it is fruitful but be careful like I said there are some freaks out there and if by chance you see us on our Dirt Bikes riding cross country dont let the Tattoos and long hair scare you we are the Good Guys and we all carry weapons You can trust us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
14 days and counting... I hope everyone is ok.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Trisch

If you see *Sir Charles* in the photo below could you let me know? He was with a herd of 4 mares. BLM picked them up. Some A_Hole was too Cheap to fence off his property!
The jerk complained when Charley and his mares ate his precious foliage.

The large scorpians sting here are painful, but won't kill you. It's the smaller Arizona Bark Scorpian imports that could be lethal. The snakes are probably still in their den. It may be still a little too cold for them. I'd definitely open carry if I were you. Don't stop for anything left on the highway especially at night. Keep going and go around it. Criminals have put large boxes on the highway in order for you to stop. If you do they will rob you and possible hijack your vehicle. (and Lord knows what else)
Hope I'm not too late with this thread.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
LIKE I SAID BEFORE CARRY A LOADED GUN AND SHOOT ANYONE THAT COMES CLOSE ASK QUESTIONS LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hiii_98

What *if* someone walks into Area 51 past the gate and the camo dudes drive up and take you in for questioning? Perhaps, they won't shoot you but simply arrest and hand you over to the local authoritys. Maybe they'll offer the foolish brave one a one-time free 'question' & 'answere' coupon?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. (it rhymed!) So we are wrapping up for our trip now. All is in place, and all systems are GO. Thanks so much for your advice and worries and whatever else you have expressed (hiii_98). We have weeded through all posts and weighed it all out and have come to our own conclusions with the help of a very informed person who is trusted. We are going to be just fine. Not looking to push the limits, gain any knowledge, only bask in the wonderful desert near a mysterious place to us. Yes, we know it is most likely only top secret military test flights, but even a peek at that is exciting to us. Enough to fork out over $2500 and call it a vacation. We would love to get some kind of response from the camos with our signs, but expect nothing. At least they are nice signs. No, we don't care if they know who we are, we have nothing to hide. We are not planning an ambush or hippy parade demanding to know what goes on there. If we knew, it wouldn't be exciting now would it?

Thanks again for all the replies and advice, it is very much appreciated
We will be back with some kind of story, most likely a boring one, and pictures, again, boring ones. Fat and old women as we were called, looking for an adventure.

Ciao, thanks again Hank, Emsed, Gariac and the rest...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainStar

A fellow Art Bell listener eh? Since '96 here! He thinks I am a stalker... I guess I kind of am now aren't I

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Good luck Trisch! Be careful and can't wait to here about your trip and see some pics. I'm going to Vegas (girl's trip)
and thinking about a day trip out there, just for some kodak moments and something to do after I blow all my money, so I'll be looking forward to hearing how it went.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join