It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good place to park an RV near Area 51?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? I can't have a camp fire in the middle of nowhere in the desert? Thanks for the heads up, I had NO idea. Yeah I remember your story alright. You said you didn't feel like an American with rights out there, which is the best way to describe it. I think all Americans should feel like that once in their life

We won't be chased, because we won't leave. We would just lock the door and hide under the blankets. If they knock on the door, we will say "who is it?" and then finally get to meet a camo dude. That would be awesome. I really doubt they will hurt us. BUT if I go and never come back to this site, then you know something happened!

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
P.S.

Emsed showed me this site:

yippy!

lifted bans

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trisch
P.S.
Emsed showed me this site:
yippy!
lifted bans

I don't mean to sound like a typical male, but I am rather amazed that "chicks" would be into the whole Area 51 appeal. When I tell my wife my plans for my son and I: "camp out near the gates, setup some video cameras including some with infrared, scanners, binoculars, spotting scope, laptops, cammo netting, cammo clothes, 4 wheel quad, etc. etc. etc." she gives me this blank look and shakes her head like I'm retarded.

Anyhoo - we might be making the trip again at the end of March.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

We won't be chased, because we won't leave. We would just lock the door and hide under the blankets. If they knock on the door, we will say "who is it?" and then finally get to meet a camo dude. That would be awesome. I really doubt they will hurt us. BUT if I go and never come back to this site, then you know something happened!

you sound very naive and somewhat like this is a game or something fun you saw on tv. Its not, they are protecting secrets that are much more important than your insignificant lives. Repeat this a few times and let it set in. I do know of others who had camped out there for several days and hid in a camper but i dont think your honestly prepared for what your going to receive. None of them give a hoot that your chicks have boobs or pee in the desert. I really think you should spend some time near the border before taking the plunge or get some experience first. Just my warning and advice to you. This is NOT a tourist attraction or a safe place by any stretch of the imagination. These people would not and i repeat not hesitate to kill you under the right circumstances. The border will NOT protect you from them. Sorry if i'm coming across as severly negative, but i think you really should see what your getting yourself into before being too brave (foolish) with your plans.

I suggest a much more careful approach were prehaps you build up to a closer location over several days.

also not to go offtopic but anyone know when conditions will be decent enough to campout on Tikapoo? I think its still too cold out and i cant wait to head back to the base asap.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by hiii_98]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FosterVS
I don't mean to sound like a typical male, but I am rather amazed that "chicks" would be into the whole Area 51 appeal. When I tell my wife my plans for my son and I: "camp out near the gates, setup some video cameras including some with infrared, scanners, binoculars, spotting scope, laptops, cammo netting, cammo clothes, 4 wheel quad, etc. etc. etc." she gives me this blank look and shakes her head like I'm retarded.

Anyhoo - we might be making the trip again at the end of March.

Well, by "chicks" you might mean those kind of chicks that spend a lot of time going to martini bars and getting their hair striped and their nails faked. We are the chicks that are into all kinds of things. Things we got laughed at for in school and now we laugh at them because they are fat with 3 exs and on Jerry Springer. Yes. Dork chicks. We are dorks. You know who we are. I love Star Wars. Jen loves Harry Potter. D*O*R*K*S

P.S. I also used to love Star Trek. OK I still love Data...

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hiii_98

also not to go offtopic but anyone know when conditions will be decent enough to campout on Tikapoo? I think its still too cold out and i cant wait to head back to the base asap.

[edit on 27-2-2008 by hiii_98]

So you are an expert on Area 51 and you can't even spell 'Tikaboo'?

Mod Edit - I can spell, manners and stay on topic. Please do so.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think there is no argument that the government conducts secretive operations at Groom Lake, among other facilities. Those type of operations that are crucial for national security must necessarily be guarded.

Nobody has suggested that they are going to cross any borders or stray from public lands.

The signs make it clear that deadly force is authorized but I challenge anyone to provide clear evidence that a border-crosser has ever been killed, or even fired upon.

Hundreds of thousands of people have camped out on the lands around Groom Lake without problem. The ones stupid enough to push the limits were promptly detained and turned over to the Lincoln County Sheriff and sent packing.

I know this forum is a hotbed for paranoia, but it's not really nice to criticize somebody looking for advice or information. I am sure the OP would love to hear about any experience or trouble anyone has experienced, and it sounds like she is being very diligent about finding out everything before she goes.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
no shes not she thinks its a tourist attraction like alot of the ignorant people on here. Go find out yourself the hard way. [snip] Unbelievable. these are people with semi automatics trained to kill you , this is not area 51 the theme ride. if you "dreamed" of this opportunity all your life then show some respect to the subject. Unless you have a tv crew with you and ten other cars you are NOT safe out there. This is not a game and you people will never read stories about problems that occur out there. Those stories will never get published and the authors will never be heard from again. You rights as a citizen mean nothing, you think the police will protect you? they are hundreds of miles away , your in the middle of no where with a cell phone that wont work. Once you venture off the highway you are on what "they" consider their property illegal or not.

Made up that [snip]? lol... who..who said that? Typical ATS response... dont like something ohhh the poster must have faked it. I hope you find the attention you seek. Mislead you with the campfire comment are you joking?!?! did you even bother to read the link the other poster left? It said they just lifted the ban in October....uhhhh i havnt been to the base since then. Oh but i must have conveniently made that up too because i'm such a jerk. Listen i'm one of the only people on here rather than oogeling over the fact that two fat older women have breasts and are into area 51 i'm trying to help by warning you to take a cautious approach and to be safe/careful out there.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by hiii_98]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

So you are an expert on Area 51 and you can't even spell 'Tikaboo'?

I didnt realize you considered me to be an expert, why thank you. Also please demerit my report card and put a dunce hat on me for my simple spelling error. Sorry for being human.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
alright hiiiiiiiiiiiiii you are being really rude now. Calling me fat and old? Why would you say that? I was the one who posted that link to the lifted ban, genius.

I know this is no amusement park, I HAVE BEEN THERE. I love the desert, I love watching the sky. This is the best place to do that. My trip before was ruined, and I am going back. Why do you have such a problem with that? I am asking questions, and getting different answers, and yours sound paranoid. I was not harassed last time, and I don't think I will be this time. I am not going to get killed for camping near the border. Try to scare me, but I'm not. This is not a game, but it sounds like it is to you. Stop trying to scare me out of my fabulous trip I have planned.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trisch
Well, by "chicks" you might mean those kind of chicks that spend a lot of time going to martini bars and getting their hair striped and their nails faked. We are the chicks that are into all kinds of things. Things we got laughed at for in school and now we laugh at them because they are fat with 3 exs and on Jerry Springer. Yes. Dork chicks. We are dorks. You know who we are. I love Star Wars. Jen loves Harry Potter. D*O*R*K*S

P.S. I also used to love Star Trek. OK I still love Data...

Sorry about my venacular - females/women/wymen/girls - take your pick.
I too am a self-proclaimed dork, geek, nerd and damn proud. Star Wars, Star Trek, Potter, Lord of the Rings. I counted 10 different computers in my house at one point, two of them servers. Uber-nerd....?

I admire a woman who sees and lives beyond the description of "chicks" you pointed out.

Originally posted by hiii_98
you sound very naive and somewhat like this is a game or something fun you saw on tv. Its not, they are protecting secrets that are much more important than your insignificant lives. Repeat this a few times and let it set in. I do know of others who had camped out there for several days and hid in a camper but i dont think your honestly prepared for what your going to receive. None of them give a hoot that your chicks have boobs or pee in the desert. I really think you should spend some time near the border before taking the plunge or get some experience first. Just my warning and advice to you. This is NOT a tourist attraction or a safe place by any stretch of the imagination. These people would not and i repeat not hesitate to kill you under the right circumstances. The border will NOT protect you from them. Sorry if i'm coming across as severly negative, but i think you really should see what your getting yourself into before being too brave (foolish) with your plans. I suggest a much more careful approach were prehaps you build up to a closer location over several days. also not to go offtopic but anyone know when conditions will be decent enough to campout on Tikapoo? I think its still too cold out and i cant wait to head back to the base asap.

Quit fear-mongering, hiii_98. As long as you don't stray over the line onto the base, there is little they will or can do. Unless you pose some kind of perceived risk - i.e. don't sneak around in cammo gear with weapons, real or not. It is public land you are on, key word being "public". They may watch you, they might even approach you or intimidate you (highly unlikely though).

Every day people make the trip to the "signs" - hell, I think there is even an "Area 51" tour out of Vegas that runs to the signs, among other spots. It has turned into a tourist attraction. Including people camping out at different spots, including close to the line at the signs. However - I don't suggest camping right at the signs - it might be prudent to find a spot a little farther back.

I suggest you discuss any concerns with gariac, or talk to Joerg or Hank at
www.dreamlandresort.com...
Also read the "trip reports" at www.dreamlandresort.com...
Most of the questions people have when they are planning one of these trips is answered here:
www.dreamlandresort.com...

I have made the trip 4 times now; the last time we did an entire loop around Creech Airforce Base (saw black helicopters and UAV's flying around) at Indian Springs, through Beatty, Goldfield, Tonopah (entrance to TTR), Warm Springs, Basecamp and more. Beautiful desert scenery. Be sure to take cameras, maybe a GPS if you have one, a radio scanner, binoculars, a good set of maps, fill your gas tank at every opportunity, lots of extra water, don't try 4 wheelin' with an RV. AND HAVE FUN!

[edit on 28-2-2008 by FosterVS]

[edit on 28-2-2008 by FosterVS]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FosterVS

Sorry about my venacular - females/women/wymen/girls - take your pick.
I too am a self-proclaimed dork, geek, nerd and damn proud. Star Wars, Star Trek, Potter, Lord of the Rings. I counted 10 different computers in my house at one point, two of them servers. Uber-nerd....?

I admire a woman who sees and lives beyond the description of "chicks" you pointed out.

Yeah, we have 7 computers here
Now I am sitting outside with some stray cat. He's not a scared stray, just a lost or roaming cat. I couldn't go inside and leave him here and he can't stay inside because my other cats were upset. I'm torn. So I will ATS out here in the cold and the stars.

So you like Star Trek too huh? I even went to a convention (shhh!). That was a long time ago. Have you seen Star Trek Experience in Vegas? It's awesome.

So now that I put that hiiiiiiiiiiii guyyyyyyyy on ignore, I will ask a few more questions when they come up. I like dreamlandresort.com and I talked to Hank there before with Jen. He answered a lot of questions we had about moving to Rachel. We also plan on moving there in a few years.. Just like everyone who lives there, we want to get away from civilization. It's not only because of Area 51, but it's a bonus. Rachel seems like a perfect town for us. I didn't get a chance to talk with any locals last time, but I hear they like to keep to themselves, just like us.

We are so excited about this trip coming up, we never get to see each other, since she lives a few hundred miles away, and we share a love for the desert and Area 51. Just being near it. Also camping, we love it. Never been in an RV before, I prefer to "rough it", but out there, I would prefer an RV, just for the toilet. And hiding, if someone does indeed shine an oh-so-intimidating flashlight on us. I wish I could meet up with some of you nice folks on here, perhaps next time.

Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hey everyone!... well, I can tell you from experience and knowledge that the military does not want you trying to unlawfully gain access to their bases. First off, the base is not secret... but there are some projects inside that might have different classifications. If you try to get too close to the base they will most likely want to know what you are doing so close to the perimeter. God help you if you get on the base...you will be taken into custody and most likely man-handled. The Security Police (SP)s take their job very seriously there. There are 1000's of people every year that try to enter the base looking for things they think are top secret or even alien space craft.
The base is supposed to have a higher level of protection. They are researching things that, if given to the wrong people, would be very bad for the US. The fact that they don't want you to know has some basis. Secrets are secrets... just look on this site.. everything anyone suspects or has heard, winds up on here. All an adversary has to do is type in a couple letters and they have what they want. It's a secret because too many people are very loud and have the "just dont tell them i told you" mentality.
Now as far as looking for things outside the fences, you should be fine. Just don't touch the fence. They know there are people all around the base perimeter looking in. Just don't give them the idea you're trying to enter and you should have no problems. When they go around at night they are checking for security beaches. They do that to make sure there isn't anything out of the ordinary and all of the fences are still there. Most of the guards are pretty cool. If you end up flashing them, I'm sure it will put a smile on their face. But they will do their job if they have to. Just be curteous and respectful.
They might even come down to bs.
At night some of the planes fly and you might be lucky enough to catch some cool sights. During the day you'll see buses coming in and out. I've noticed a lot of people making a big deal of these, but a lot of the people that go there don't have cars and the military wont pay for rentals for all these people. Buses save money lol. And the fact you don't have to be in uniform for some of the functions.. just makes it all that much better!
If you do go, have a good time. You might see some stuff that a lot of others won't for a long time... or ever in some cases. But in all honesty.. you have a lot more to fear from some of the crazies outside of the fence than anyone on the inside.
Good luck and hope you have fun! If you feel the whoosh but don't hear anything give me a smile

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
and just how many of your advice givers actually camped out literally next to the off limits perimeter ? I did and it was not a comfortable experience. I think alot of you are making a guess as to what would happen. Or camped much further back.. i literally camped next to the border and it was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of our lives regarding the camo dudes. (mailbox road border, not groom).

Its one thing to sit here on the internet all day, read a few stories, review the constitution and think you know what its like... it a completely different story to actually hit the dirt and be there in person at 3 am off roading through the desert chased by armed military men with machine guns driving like they intend to kill you. [snip] The real world is alot more harsh and unforgiving.

Ask "Gariac" what to expect hes one of the few people on here who has successfully lived and breathed covert desert life next to the base. Perhaps he completely disagrees with me, i have no idea but he is one of the few "experts" on here.

BTW You do realize the majority of the hundreds people who without incident visit the base outskirts

A. do NOT camp all night
B. do NOT camp literally on the border all night
C. do NOT camp with a suspicious looking giant RV on the border all night

[edit on 29-2-2008 by hiii_98]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well, this thread has really degenerated.

Getting back to the comment about no fires allowed in the desert, I'd like to see a reference. This photograph is of a fire in the area where you want to park:
www.lazygranch.com...
This camp fire was located right by the back gate:
www.lazygranch.com...
[Referring pages
www.lazygranch.com/bg.htm
www.lazygranch.com/tikabo_tales.htm ]

I have made countless camp fires in the desert. I generally burn a Duraflame, but also place nearby dead brush on the fire. Burning dead wood is good since it reduces the amount of flammable material in the area.

The USAF probably is the largest man made source of fire in the desert due to malfunctioning flares. Lightning is the natural igniter Most fires in the desert run out of steam, so they don't bother to fight them. On the mountain slopes where there are large trees, fire is a significant hazard.

I believe I posted this here, but if not, here goes. Nellis had a Beech flying at the last flag with callsign Angel Fire. I bought the FAA records for this plane. It appears to be a fire detection aircraft. It has special IR gear on it. In addition, it has conventional optical gear and laser mapping (LIDAR) hardware. Here is the air worthiness record (about 20Mbytes):
www.lazygranch.com...

Regarding this RV, see if you can find a small "conversion" rather than a pig of a RV. One small RV I've seen is the "Vixen." I've also seen conversions of those Dodge Sprinter vans.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hiii_98

Camo dudes are there to observe. If you don't cross the line, you will not interface with them. If you cross the line, expect to be arrested.

If you are near the border, expect to be watched. I think the dudes like visitors. It gives them something to do. How would you like to sit in a truck all day with nothing to do?

At the TTR (including Cedar Pass Rd by Reveille), security can talk to you. However, it has been my experience is all they do is wave. One time when I parked on a hill, a security guy came to visit. He was just curious because he never saw a SUV on that hill. [The Marines made the tracks with their humvees.] The guy hung around really more than I thought he needed to, so I said "I think I know what you want", lowered the rear hatch, and he quickly copied my plate and left. They probably have databases of regular visitors. Security can run plates just like the cops.

One thing you can do is go out of your way to talk to people you meet in the desert. I have talked to the guys running the radar "threats" a few times. They are contractors, not military. They will explain things if they have the time. That Roland radar is so old that nothing is a secret. I've talked to ranchers and hunters too. Remember, these towns are small, so the ranchers see nothing but the same dozen people over and over.

The only place that doesn't like snooping is Base Camp. Note that they do try to be nice to the locals, but not visitors. Base Camp does an open house once in a while, as far as I know when the commander is changed.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by pointman1921
Hey everyone!... well, I can tell you from experience and knowledge that the military does not want you trying to unlawfully gain access to their bases. First off, the base is not secret... but there are some projects inside that might have different classifications.

Oh no, we are not trying to sneak in or anything like that. Not even push the limits. Yes maybe a flash, but that's only because we figured they don't get enough out there
Seriously though, we are only planning on camping close to the border, because many people have told me about a perfect spot for parking an RV. Last time I went I didn't notice a good spot to pull over, and I don't want to waste any daylight looking for a good spot. This is why the title of this thread is what it is

Now as far as looking for things outside the fences, you should be fine. Just don't touch the fence. They know there are people all around the base perimeter looking in. Just don't give them the idea you're trying to enter and you should have no problems.

We are not staying anywhere near fences. I never saw anything resembling a fence there. But last time I only went down Groom Lake Road. We won't be doing anything to look like we are planning on trying to enter..

If you do go, have a good time. You might see some stuff that a lot of others won't for a long time... or ever in some cases. But in all honesty.. you have a lot more to fear from some of the crazies outside of the fence than anyone on the inside.
Good luck and hope you have fun! If you feel the whoosh but don't hear anything give me a smile

Thanks
As far as the crazies outside of the border, do you really think people would try to hurt us while under surveillance? Not that I think camo dudes will come to our rescue, but who would even try? Just to be safe, we were thinking about bringing a gun. Is this a bad idea?

What's this whoosh business, hmmm?

Originally posted by gariac
Getting back to the comment about no fires allowed in the desert, I'd like to see a reference. This photograph is of a fire in the area where you want to park:

Yeah, I remember photos of fires at campouts..

I generally burn a Duraflame, but also place nearby dead brush on the fire. Burning dead wood is good since it reduces the amount of flammable material in the area.

Is there very much dead brush around? I didn't look at all last time, and we will have all day to gather it, just want to be sure to bring enough wood to burn to last us a few nights. I wish I had paid attention to these things last time.
About the RV, we definitely do NOT want a huge one. We don't need much room. Just a toilet. I have never driven one because I usually camp in a tent, but this should be neat. Help with the RV would be nice but that is a whole other forum

If you are near the border, expect to be watched. I think the dudes like visitors. It gives them something to do. How would you like to sit in a truck all day with nothing to do?

Exactly! That is why we want to make them a sign! We know we will be watched, which is why we are getting the RV. For the toilet.

They probably have databases of regular visitors. Security can run plates just like the cops.

Even though a lot of people rent cars?

Remember, these towns are small, so the ranchers see nothing but the same dozen people over and over.

That is why we want to move out there

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Trisch

Just to be clear here, most of the border is not fenced. They use orange poles mostly, sometimes posts with silver balls on them. There is nothing to stop you from accidentally crossing the border. Once you cross, the dudes then do their duty.

The nearly bombing range is fenced off. I never saw it bombed, but I've seen targets shot by the AC130.

Regarding bringing a gun, you are on your own. I've seen open carry, and the only person I know ever to be hassle by a dude was doing open carry. I've seen the sheriff hassle some guy wearing ammo and doing open carry. Personally, I think keeping a low profile is a better idea.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join