It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer linked to heavy mobile use. (Disinformation?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Cancer linked to heavy mobile use. (Disinformation?)

news.bbc.co.uk

Heavy mobile phone use may be linked to an increased risk of cancer of the salivary gland, a study suggests. Researchers looked at 500 Israelis who had developed the condition and compared their mobile phone usage with 1,300 healthy controls.

Those who had used the phone against one side of the head for several hours a day were 50% more likely to have developed a salivary gland tumour.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Conspiracy Against Nuclear Power In USA

[edit on 18-2-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is the worst type of scientific study. Check out the tiny size of the control group, for something supposedly so rare! This article is guaranteed to scare any cell phone user around.

Look at the article, way down stream. It makes many qualifications (including a Denmark study that completely refutes this study!) I can't see how anyone could possibly take this seriously! Yet many will! They may even change their cell phone habits, based on this single story.

Why publish such a story? I smell a conspiracy somewhere. What is the motive?

I'll put this in the "Disinformation" folder. Observe how easy it is to scare people by a single word: "cancer".

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

They link cancer to everything. You cant even breathe without risking your life to cancer. Personally I have more things to worry about than this. If we were to listen to all of these reports we would not be able to do anything without the risk of getting cancer. What a joke.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Cellular phone radiation is dangerous to the cells in your body it says so in the *warning* pamphlet that you receive with every phone.

The towers which broadcast the signals emit even more radiation.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz

They link cancer to everything. If we were to listen to all of these reports we would not be able to do anything without the risk of getting cancer.

I agree, Baked, and I would put a lot more credence into a study like this if someone could actually and positively determine what cancer actually was. Is it something at the genetic level? Something else?

Maybe there is an MD here at ATS who can fill me in. I don't see any agreement on the web (but I'm no biologist.)

Seems like trial and error to me. A good way to get $$ grant money from the government!

Maybe that is the "conspiracy" that I mentioned in my OP?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xion329alpha
Cellular phone radiation is dangerous to the cells in your body it says so in the *warning* pamphlet that you receive with every phone. The towers which broadcast the signals emit even more radiation.

That is what I hear, Xion, but I am not sure it is true. Please see the article below:

"Afraid of Radiation? Low Doses are Good for You"

Also, google "Radiation is good for you" and you will see plenty of articles that say the same thing. Just because there is a warning label doesn't mean it is true.

I know there are lots of theories. Some may be correct. What if they are not? What if the whole thing is this incredibly exaggerated myth?

Edit: Hey, just to be clear, I don't mean there aren't real carcinogens out there. I just have my doubts about cell phones, diet soda, other things which are casually moved into the "suspect" column. See the earlier post by Baked for the consequences of this.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Its true. Cell phones are bad for your health. I carry one for some reason even though I know its bad for me.

Radiation in any dose is not good for you, but it won't kill you. I can't imagine any of us are on the phone long enough to do serious damage.

The problem with a study saying a cell phone is good or bad is the time constraints.

Cellular phones (and other electronic devices) haven't been around long enough for us to be able to tell what is good and bad for us. There's simply not enough data.

However, I personally believe they're harmful.

I guess I'm like a cigarette smoker (or alcoholic) who knows what the consequences are for smoking.

I'd say you are better off not using a cell phone until we figure out tesla technology (or its not suppressed by the government).

[edit on 2/18/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I think you pretty much nailed on the head when you said its a good way to get grant money. Just like man made global warming, it is a multi billion dollar industry. People will say anything if the price is right!

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Hi Buck,

I reported on apparently the same study Israeli Researchers Link Cell Phones, Cancer in early December.

Until I get more assurance I will be using the hands free option whenever possible. As a surgeon, the cancer risk seems credible to me and I know the hands free option will reduce auto accidents!

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I personally believe someone should do a study to see if the Internet causes cancer. I think it does. Cell phones probably cause cancer too, but more and more people I see use some kind of bluetooth setup so I don't think it is going to matter much longer. Unless bluetooth gadgets also cause cancer.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I personally believe someone should do a study to see if the Internet causes cancer. I think it does. Cell phones probably cause cancer too, but more and more people I see use some kind of bluetooth setup so I don't think it is going to matter much longer. Unless bluetooth gadgets also cause cancer.

This is really an epistemological question. (No, really!) Either cell phones, Internet, soft drinks, cooked foods, benzene, cigarettes, etc. cause cancer -- or they don't.

The fact is, nobody knows for sure whether cancer is really genetic in nature or not! Perhaps only certain people can get cancer?

www.cancerbackup.org.uk...

I am reminded here of a horrible disease: rickets, which is a softening of your bones. In the 17th century nobody had any idea why this terrible disease struck down so many people, mostly children, and created grotesque and crippling deformities for no reason. Was it witchcraft? Some sort of plague? Sanitation issues? Hereditary factors? They couldn't figure it out! Rickets was something that everyone feared!

www.associatedcontent.com...

As it turns out, once the cause was understood, rickets was easily eliminated. (Rickets is just a deficiency of Vitamin D, and nothing more.) All that fear of plague and witchcraft was pointless.

Why can’t we get there with cancer? Should we blindly fear everything around us, until we do? Are the fear mongers of cancer serving any purpose other than exerting their influence and power to frighten?

These are all questions I would like to have answered. (A reasonable guess would suit me. I have an open mind, thanks.)

top topics

join