It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New epidemic: 82 youths have died in 'choking game'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

New epidemic: 82 youths have died in 'choking game'

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - At least 82 U.S. youths have died since 1995 engaging in "the choking game" in which they try to experience a fleeting "high" by cutting off the oxygen supply to the brain, U.S. health officials said on Thursday.

An unknown number of youths, mostly boys, are taking part in the practice in which they strangle themselves with their hands or a noose or have someone else strangle them, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a report.

"They hope to get a cool and dreamy feeling, as they've described it," said Robin Toblin of the CDC's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, who led the report.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Now this is disturbing. Kids seem to go through weird, masochistic phases-You have the cutters and piercers, etc...But now kids are actually DYING in fairly large numbers by CHOKING themselves! Evidently some teenage genius figured out a way to get a high, light-headed feeling was to cut off the blood / oxygen supply to his brain, and it seems to have caught on as a trend.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I would hardly call this an epidemic. 82 deaths in 13 years? Its forced choking. That alone should let you know that it has deathly risks.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Natures way of weeding out the morons..

Do I feel bad for these kids? No.

Do I think these kids are messed up? Ya.

Do I think highly of these kids parents? No.

Its almost funny. Actually it is funny. Kids that do this crap.. *sigh* .. How am I supposed to feel bad.. messed up youth.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The lead singer from inxs, died in the same way, trying to get this rush, did he not.

I wonder why they say its an epidemic.

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Yup, definitely weeding out morons.

It's getting harder and harder for morons and idiots to die off what with everything being socialized and all yet still nature finds a way. Like the deer returning after Chernobyl, the saplings sprouting up from under the ashes of a forest fire, grass pushing through pavement, so will the idiots and morons continue to die despite all of governments and bleeding hearts efforts to keep them alive.

They'll drink themselves to death, use heroin and crack, huff Lysol and gasoline, murder each other for sneakers and strangle one another for a buzz.

Let government ban everything they could conceivably hurt themselves with and these people will drown staring up at the rain with their mouths open.

top topics

join