It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Astonished by Violence of Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Astronomers Astonished by Violence of Universe

www.foxnews.com

In the past few days, scientists have unveiled plenty to ooh and aah over:

• Photos of "blue blobs" that astronomers figure are orphaned baby stars. They're called orphans because they were "born in the middle of nowhere" instead of within gas clouds, said Catholic University of America astronomer Duilia F. de Mello.

• A strange quadruplet of four hugging stars, which may eventually help astronomers understand better how stars form.

• A young star surrounded by dust, that may eventually become a planet. It's nicknamed "the moth," because the interaction of star and dust are shaped like one.

• A spiral galaxy with two pairs of arms spinning in opposite directions, like a double pinwheel. It defies what astronomers believe should happen. It is akin to one of those spinning-armed flamingo lawn ornaments, said astronomer Gene Byrd of the University of Alabama.

• The equivalent of post-menopausal stars giving unlikely birth to new planets. Most planets form soon after a sun, but astronomers found two older stars, one at least 400 million years old, with new planets.

"Intellectually and spiritually, if I can use that word with a lower case 's,' it's awe-inspiring," Wheeler said. "It's a great universe."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Looks like cosmology is still a very young and developing science. For example planets are thought to only form from newly formed stars but recently 2 older stars were found to have newly formed planets!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Nice find, I love reading about this kind of stuff.

Never heard of orphaned stars before.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Ok....enough out of you, my friend.

I'm gettin f'n whiplash looking upside down all evening.

Lysergic...when you get up in the morning...I'm gonna beat yer arse!!!

1. How DARE you be different from society?
2. How DARE you make me look 'upside-down?
3. How DARE you retain a sense of 'individualism' like that?

HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME LIKE YOU?

Love

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Never heard of orphaned stars before.

Hi Lys, Right on! How and where does one suppose they came from! Exciting stuff!

Another question is why do galaxies (and there are millions of them) form stars while between galaxies there are (almost) none? And wouldn't we like to watch the hand of God (reference to Steven Hawkins)?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
loved the article, thanks!

starred and flagged

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

in response to your reply over on sleepers thread Giant Gas Planets Create Moons And Spit Them Out

What really bemuses me is that all these sientists are so bemused by everything they find in the universe. They don't seem to have answers to anything they find. Rant over.

There are theories which could explain this. One I can think of is the capture theory. Why the scientist won't touch this is beyond belief. How it might work is this. A young planet gets ejected out of its young parent solarsystem and travels out in space for a long while, a wanderer if you will, till one day it encounters a relativly older solar system and gets captured by it. Presto. Man prooves God does not exist and gets run over at a zebra crossing.

peace to you and a nice thread

daz

new topics

top topics

join