It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. military reports "significant confrontation" between 5 Iranian vessels...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

U.S. military reports \"significant confrontation\" between 5 Iranian vessels and 3 U.S. naval ships in Persian Gulf

edition.cnn.com

U.S. military reports "significant confrontation" between 5 Iranian vessels and 3 U.S. naval ships in Persian Gulf. Details soon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/1/08 by Navieko]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I first heard the news just minutes ago from a couple other members of another forum about seeing this breaking news just now on CNN. Supposedly the 5 gunboats acted in a "threatening manner" and came within 200 yards of one of the US ships in international waters. A radio transmission from one of the Iranian boats supposedly said, "we are coming at you, and when we get there you will explode!" The navy reportedly almost took them out.

Reports are still very sketchy, I'm sure -- but worrying nontheless. I find it suspicious and highly unlikely that it had anything to do with the Iranian government though.

Gulf of Tonkin all over again?

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/1/08 by Navieko]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Wow, you are Johnny on the spot on this one. I see CNN is just now posting it. Very strange stuff.

I don't think it would be nearly as strange, if I hadn't been reading all of the conspiracies about how Bush could be setting up a false flag for when he is in Israel this week. My mind has been warped and this story came in at the wrong time

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
"Gulf of Tonkin all over again? "
Or quite possibly a threatening manevuer by Iranian forces. There are forces in the world who hate the U.S. And I bet sometimes, they are indeed the antagonizers. Too sketchy right now.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
There are reports all over now. U.S. military officials told CNN the boats were "attack craft" that they believed were operated by Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard.

reuters

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
you beat me to the punch I just hit submit and then saw your post come across

darn it oh well great post and great catch

I feel as though this will lead us yet one step closer to actions against Iran
especially given the poor judgment of our current leaders..

by the way I edited my thread with a link to this one so all opinions could be posted in one spot..

Respectfully
GEO

[edit on 1/7/2008 by geocom]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Not the first time... British Navy back in March 07

Link -

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Lets see, isn't it basically seen as a declaration of war to have "your" warships head to and say you will destroy someone else’s navy ships in "International Waters?????

Clearly Iran was hoping to start a war with the US.
They are probably hoping that is the US responds to the clear aggression of Iranian military.

Now, let’s look at the real timing of this event.................

Real negotiations starting with Israel and the Palestinians...........................
Since the US is taking the lead in these negotiations, Iran wants to mineralize the US's influence at peace.
Basically, I am sure they want to completely destroy the peace process.

Since this did not work, look to see action by the Muslim terrorists that Iran and Syria train/arm/supply.

And oh, buy the way, I wonder what would happen if 5 US navy ships all made for 3 Iranian ships and radioed them that they are going to blow them up????

Also see the moving of Russian warships to Syrian ports as emboldening Iran. Yes, I do think they are stupid enough to attack the US if they are promised they can tuck their tail and hide behind Russia military.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I think the Iranians may feel a bit cocky towards the united states due to our recent loss of face in the international media over Iran's nuclear program. MAybe they do not see us as the big bully in the schoolyard anymore? THis could be the US"s doorway into Iran, since they have been searching for one for quite a while.
I really do not like how Iran demonizes the US, in the media and through their prime minister, and then goes and pulls a move like this in the international political playing field. It's just immature and not right.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The ships in that area a sitting duck. I would not have started a firefight as the ships do not have air support nor do they have everything in place to attack. But they almost fired upon those who where hostel towards them. This good have been a stragic move from Iran as if they had everything in place to take out the ships. I applaud the navy for stepping down. You need to understand if the Iranian navy attacks then they have in place a counter attack. Such we should have in case such a senerio happens.

[edit on 1/7/2008 by zman]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
let me put it like this insted :

I really do not like how U.s demonizes the iran, in the media and through their goverment, and then goes and pulls a move like this in the international political playing field. It's just immature and not right.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
let me put it like this insted :

I really do not like how U.s demonizes the iran, in the media and through their goverment, and then goes and pulls a move like this in the international political playing field. It's just immature and not right.

HMM so you are saying that it is not okay to sit in international waters?

I'll put it this way if I was in a bar (fat chance since I don't drink) and some idiot came running up to me telling I was about to get hit I would punch him in the throat and then probably break his leg, In this situation I think the US Navy showed great restraint..

Good on the the Navy for this one.

Respectfully
GEO

[edit on 1/7/2008 by geocom]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. This story just recently broke over in the U.K on Sky News. Very interesting. And, of course, equally worrying.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Brad.T]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
"we're coming at you and you'll explode in a couple minutes."

"There were no injuries but there very well could have been," he said, adding that the Iranian boats turned away "literally at the very moment that U.S. forced were preparing to open fire"

This could be a very interesting day.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It sounds like they were seconds away from shooting at the Iranian ships.... just think how different today could have been if they had, just a couple of seconds could have changed the world.

I see a lot of conspiracies regarding future wars with Iran and its even mentioned in End Time prophecies and Nostradamus etc... I tend to take these with a pinch of salt but if it kicked off today then I would have to think again.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

I I don't think we demonize Iran more than let''s say N. Korea, Sudan, Venezuala, and so many more countries. It just so happens that right now the ADHD eye of america is focused on iran so all of americas ignorant constituents are focused on iran. We really never do any positive talking about any other countries just like they report mostly negative news about us to. Thats just the way it works. Personally i root for the home team.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by geocom

HMM so you are saying that it is not okay to sit in international waters?

Well if you don't mind Iran etc hanging around your waters, then I guess its OK!!

[edit on 7-1-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Folks,
Puke!

The Iranians are not stupid enough to try and start something with just five gunboats. Trust me, if they are going to try and start something it will be with hundreds of gunboats.

This kind of crap goes on there all of the time, I am just surprised that this made the news.

I think that folks are making a mountain out of a mole hill in the news yet again.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

As long as they are in international waters I have no problem with them being there at all none what so ever..

But very good point indeed most would make a huge deal over this while we sit at their front door..

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This is a big story. While the US showed restraint, they did state that they were seconds away from blowing them out of the water when they turned and ran. If this was in fact a sanctioned action by the Iranian gov't I don't believe this will be the last, and more are probably soon to come. You don't just send 3 gunboats into international waters to threaten US gunships and not have something up your sleeve.

I feel certain something will happen because of this incident, especially if Iran states that it did occur and it was indeed their military that did it.

-B

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join