It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW new NASA pic of Mars door

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Dont think this has been posted before... if so sorry.

Link -

www.dailygalaxy.com...

This looks very man made to me.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

Hi, II HAL II :

If i'm correct, there's an ongoing discussion about it in Space Exploration
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Its still just a shadow ..

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tep200377

I disagree

I dont think this is a shadow

If it were a shadow of a pillar it wouldn't have such a straight line at the top of the door, look at the shadow cast by the mountain its self it doesnt have a sharp definition between light and dark like the door, it blends slightly.

[edit on 5-1-2008 by II HAL II]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It also does not follow the line it should if its just a shadow...

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
After careful examination, it looks like a shadow to me. But at the same time, it also looks to have an open door-like feature that creates the shadow. The top of the "door" is easy to see, if you look at the original image with any kind of magnification. The sun clearly highlights that top edge, in my opinion. I did a little mock-up to further highlight the edge of the feature that I perceive to be creating the shadow.

The sun would appear to be on the horizon in the image. It would be interesting to see a different image of this area, obviously with the sun in a different location in the sky.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by D_Hoffman

I agree it's an opening and not just a shadow of a natural pillar, I think taking into account the various points made above, this must be a fairly significant find by whoever found this picture. on par with the face of Mars even.

I would also like to point out other various points of interest in this picture -

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think your light angles are a bit off...
it looks pretty much straight across the horizon... from middle right, to middle left...

but it does still look like a rather large projection could cause the door shadow, but what?

It almost looks like a "flap" that has been opened, or raised... but maybe it is just a large hillock on the slope...

The clue is in the top corner... that is where it doesn't seem to make sense. too tall, on too angled of a slope... and the shadow does indicate a fairly straight outcrop.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
A better picture of the shadow lines and why it must be an opening -

[edit on 5-1-2008 by II HAL II]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
whats too discuss about this picture the website shows a tear drop like mountain casting a shadow, shadows on terrain thats not level can cast in all manner of directions away from the source thats blocking the light just look at the shadow of a lampost as it crosses a kirb, i think this just truly is a case of chasing shadows

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by R-evolve

LOL funny..

But both shadows are cast on an even surface... one being a flat wall or cliff face and the other a flat floor, its fairly obvious from the picture that these shadow lines dont match if its just a shadow.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

So then is the other clearly visible shadow between your two "correct" lines with yet another shadow direction for its lower line just something wrong or what? Its seems awfully convenient to omit it.

Face facts. Shadows change with terrain. This square looks interesting though, I'd love to see more pictures on it.

[edit on 5-1-2008 by merka]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

I'm not sure what shadow line you mean but if its this one -

Its because this is not a shadow line... in other words its not where the shadow is cast but an object that is casting a shadow

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
i dont see how there is anything unusual about that shadow obviously both edges are not parallel, the cliff top is narrower than the base and the light isnt hitting the cliffside perfectly straight on, not to mention either edge of the cliff is probably completely different in angle and shape, so the shadow would be cast that way, try it with something in front of a lamp and turn the object too see how the angles of the shadows change with the angle of the light like a sun dial, its just not possible to be so uniform with shadow angles on uneven surfaces with odd shapes to predict how a shadows should fall at least not without knowing every facet of the surrounding area

did that even make sense, im tired

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by R-evolve

I think I see what your saying but its not just the shadow lines its also the fact that in the other cast shadows (we know are shadows) they have a blending effect between light and dark but the top of the door and sides dont have this blur... they have a sharp change... so how can this be a shadow cast like the others.

I also see alot of straight lines in this 'natural feature'

Taking all 3 of these points together and just looking at this picture at face value it 100% man made in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you.

-closed-

top topics

join