It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lady Tazed at Best Buy!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Yoga Instructor Tazed at Best Buy!

www.wesh.com

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A surveillance camera catches a police officer using a Taser to bring a customer under control in a Daytona Beach Best Buy Thursday.

Many people are asking if the officer really needed to use 50,000 volts of electricity to calm the allegedly loud-mouthed customer down, WESH 2 News reported.

Daytona Beach police officer Claudia Wright said the shopper was resisting arrest, but many people said Wright used excessive force.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: Had to cut the lame humor as it doesn't translate well into these forums.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Wasn't there a time when we didn't need to shock people with thousands of volts for them to comply? What happened to discussion, reason, compromise, and even persuasion? This seems like it's getting entirely out of hand and police forces are more and more relying on the tazer instead of their wit or mental skills.

www.wesh.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This is ridiculous - If someone comes towards me aggressively whether it's a cop or not it is only instinctive behavior to back up. If someone is coming at you and you are law enforcement that "might" be a reason to taze but it should be a last possible resort

And since when are you confronted in a store by the police for a "suspected" stolen credit card. I think this story is not disclosing the truth of the matter which we can all figure out is - The credit card was not stolen. It takes a one minute phone call to verify something like that!

If it was stolen you can bet all your marbles that they would have known for sure by the time this story and video got to the press and aired and the very fact that they don't say whether the card was actually stolen or not makes me sick - the press is protecting the police and that is just pathetic.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by CyberTruth]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
They instruct yoga and can't even remain calm.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CyberTruth

I definitely agree. If I was ever accused of using stolen credit card when it was mine, I would be shocked and offended. After I'm accused, I have a police officer coming at me trying to arrest me for using MY credit card? Please. I'd be more than pissed.

I really wish there was audio.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

perhaps it is because these officers do not have any wit or mental skills; probably predicated on an over-abundance of testosterone and feeling of superiority due to the fact the have a badge, a gun, and they can do what they want cause they are the law; i say turn the tazer on these gestapo wierdos and apply in liberally to their testicles; they might then realise they are supposed to protect and defend,enforce the laws of society, not be clueless jerks.

just my upinion.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It seems as If "To protect and Serve" has little meaning anymore to law enforcement.

The law enforcement officers I know have a "we/them" attitude and if you are one of "them" expect to bear the brunt of their force. Guilty until proven innocent.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
sad sad sad. she was using her own card. when will this crap stop. something like this happen to me once i put 10 dollars of gas in my car then went to pay with my card and they said i was not a good card. it was a debt card from my bank account and i knew it was good. i had just used it to buy a new computer. i knew i had a few hundred dollars left in the account. but it seems when i payed for the comp. the bank froze my account thinking i had stole my own card. so i got to go to jail for using my own money. this is why i don't us banks anymore. its all a scam.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the inevitable "it's all her fault because she did not immediately throw herself on the ground and beg for mercy & forgiveness from the mighty LEO" posts that seem to pop up in all these threads.

Apparently it is now illegal to get ticked off because you're accused of something you didn't do - in this case credit card fraud.

It's illegal to dispute anything an LEO says, illegal to be angry, etc...

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
They instruct yoga and can't even remain calm.

Oh please. Just because she is a yoga instructor doesn't mean she gives up her rights to be human and feel emotions - everyone has their breaking point. She was innocent and was treated like a piece of garbage, I'd be very upset, too.
That's just a cheap shot that proves you think the cops are right, no matter what they do.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

LAW- The principles and regulations established in a community by some authority and applicable to its people, whether in the form of legislation or of custom and policies recognized and enforced by judicial decision.

ENFORCEMENT - To impose (a course of action) upon a person. To impress or urge (an argument, contention, etc.) forcibly; lay stress upon. To put or keep in force; compel obedience to.

Officer - A person appointed or elected to some position of responsibility or authority in the government, a corporation, a society, etc.

Maybe we've confused a "defender" of the community with what is the "Enforcer" of the community.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Here is story to warm the heart of those who find cops stupid now days. This guy supposedly beat 2 cops up for assaulting his wife in there homes garage and tazed, beat and pistol wipped em.

Beaten, tazed and confused

Than, at the trial, the judge cuts the guy loose with a small fine.

Justice served on the two dummy cops

Guess thats the way it goes in the world of clops.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldShadow

shadow,that was refreshing;

last year the company i was working for had one of thier road tractors stolen on a thursday out of thier lot; it was recovered on the following monday,i watched the officer sign off on the release and i drove the truck back to the facility; one week later i was asked to make a local delivery to help out the shipping depart(i was the facilities and maintenance manager) and i also have a CDL; i took the load for them to the customer and was stopped by a local cop,had a pistol stuck in my face,handcuffed, and was almost arrested,even tho i had the company insurance and manifest,had my id as being one of the corporate managers, and a copy of the release from where it was recovered!

the pig(oops! officer) had called for back up and the second cop was actually fairly decent and let me stand outside the car until word was received that the truck wasn't stolen and not on the hotsheet anymore; the whole point was the officer was very abusive and a total jerk, and i explained in detail my thoughts on the matter; to make matters even worse he had run my id and was making comments about my past concerning my service to this country.

our police system is a joke, a farce, and when i see that an outraged citizen has retaliated and been vindicated in a court of law gives me some minor satisfaction.

i hope this poor lady sues for a bundle.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There was an interesting article the other day from USA Today that raised the possibility that due to lowered standards, "necessary to fill the ranks," less than desirable candidates are becoming LEOs, resulting in more cases of brutal behavior.

From the article:

Federal prosecutors are targeting a rising number of law enforcement officers for alleged brutality, Justice Department statistics show. The heightened prosecutions come as the nation's largest police union fears that agencies are dropping standards to fill thousands of vacancies and "scrimping" on training.

Cases in which police, prison guards and other law enforcement authorities have used excessive force or other tactics to violate victims' civil rights have increased 25% (281 vs. 224) from fiscal years 2001 to 2007 over the previous seven years, the department says.

During the same period, the department says it won 53% more convictions (391 vs. 256). Some cases result in multiple convictions.
Source | USAToday.com | Police brutality cases on rise since 9/11

Hmmm, those numbers don't add up...

Anyway, and however, and this is a big however:

Federal records show the vast majority of police brutality cases referred by investigators are not prosecuted.
Source | USAToday.com | Police brutality cases on rise since 9/11 Empahsis mine.

And here's the clincher:

Last year, 96% of cases referred for prosecution by investigative agencies were declined.

In 2005, 98% were declined, a rate that has remained "extremely high" under every administration dating to President Carter, according to a TRAC report.

The high refusal rates, say Burnham and law enforcement analysts, result in part from the extraordinary difficulty in prosecuting abuse cases. Juries are conditioned to believe cops, and victims' credibility is often challenged.
Source | USAToday.com | Police brutality cases on rise since 9/11

So LE agencies are putting poorly trained thugs in uniform, and when they inevitably brutalize citizens, if they're even prosecuted at all, juries are reluctant to convict.

Nice.

Keep in mind, probably the only reason we're hearing about cases such as this latest one, is the fact that surveillance cameras have recorded the altercations, not because LE agencies have been forthcoming.

Just as LEOs are armed to enforce "the law," the common citizenry are henceforth going to need to be armed with personal surveillance technology to protect ourselves from "the law."

What a sad state of affairs.

The above referenced article was the subject of a thread posted the day the article was published, you can find it here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=321601

It's curious that it didn't get more replies...

[edit on 21-12-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
We are nothing than cattle to this so call new under the protection of the patriot act law enforcement.

Yes sound funny but is not, is very true that since 9/11 and the patriot act the police brutality is in the raising but you only get to know the cases that civil groups get particular and person interest in.

Sad but a tremendous damage has been done to this nation and its population by over zealous and corrupted politicians since 9/11 and we are now paying the price.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hmmm....

Best Buy tasers people! I'm never shopping there again. Scary.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Each state needs to establish a no taser law. Contact your local Representative/congressmen and try to put an end to this madness.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

I'm wondering if the fatality from police firearms have dropped since they started implementing these "non fatal" weapons. It seems that they use them to avoid using lethal force, but it has opened up this amazing grey area for them to use these tazers and bean bags whenever someone doesn't agree with them.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I was once treated like a criminal at Best Buy..(before tasermania)
I tried to return a camera for my nephew.
His mom, had purchased a camera, at a different store, in another state.

I had no receipt, just the camera. The box had never been opened.
The manager would have NO part in the return.
I didn't want the money, I wanted to upgrade to a better camera so my nephew would not get discouraged in his attempt to become a good photographer. I was even going to buy the extended warranty.

the manager started talking to me as if I had stolen it, and refused to check with the other store. He flat out said, he would not do it.

I argued with him, about good business practices..And how, all it would take was a phone call, or a record check. He refused, he would not even try. And started glancing over at his security guard, who walked up behind me.
An attempt at intimidation, I suppose.

So, I asked him to check MY records of purchases. I used to spend a reasonable amount of money there. Again, he refused.
This was a completely re-sellable camera!

My last offer was, that I would continue to shop there, if he would at least check the other store. He would not. He stood his ground, he lost a customer permanently. I have never been back.

I took the camera to Circuit City. Told them my Best Buy experience.
Here is the funny part. The MANAGER of the store..Ripped the Best Buy stickers off of the camera. Gave me a refund for the camera, an in-store credit actually. I immediately purchased a camera that was 200 dollars more expensive, along with the extended warranty.
I ALWAYS shop at Circuit City now. And have actually become friends with the management there.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I've said this before, but everytime this kind of thing comes up, I find myself reminded of various parts of Clockwork Orange for some reason.

If you notice, the increase in brutality and the us vs them mentality has sort of followed along with the militarization of the police attitude, gear, and methods. The military is for killing people and destroying things. How can fostering that mindset in our "peace officers" be a good thing?

The sad truth is, I fear law enforcement and our own government much more than I fear any criminal or terrorist. The same type of cop who tazes people at the drop of a hat or at someone getting out of the car too slowly, is the same type of cop who will be right there behind the next Hitler.

I'm just waiting for someone's pacemaker to get fried or someone die from a unnessisary tazing. It will happen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join