It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress passes legislation recognizing the importance of Christianity and Christmas

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I do have to admit that I'm a little alarmed at the phrase about being free from persecution and bigotry. Why are they making an issue out of that? Does it mean that any religion other than Christianity is not free from bigotry?
Singling Christians out for special protection from bigotry is offensive to me. Shouldn't ALL religions be free from that?
I agree it is a ridiculous resolution and I do feel that it marginalizes anyone who isn't Christian. Why don't they have a resolution recognizing ALL religions, not just Christianity?
I agree, it's probably to get people out shopping and spending money. Which is completely against the whole idea of Christmas.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
thehill.com...

Maybe they're just trying to make the justification for them running off on their holiday vacation without accomplishing anything meaningful sound a little better to their constituents?
Kind of like....
"Hey, I know, you're tax refund is on permanent hold till the ATM is fixed....but ya know, Chirstmas is a very important holiday and we wouldn't be good christians if we weren't home celebrating it!!

I'm sorry, but it seems to me that they have more important issues to address instead of stroking the conservative christian egos for votes!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I'm not sure why a lot of you folk are up in arms over this. No laws were passed. It was simply a statement of recognition over a certain group's holiday. I for one and happy with this news. If it makes the Christian majority in the US happy, it should be a good thing, no? Perhaps now they'd stop whining about how 'Christmas is under attack' and all that.

In my country they recognize the importance of all major holidays of all the main cultures in the country -- Eid'ul Fitr for the Muslims, Christmas for the Christians, Chinese New Year for the Chinese, Deepavali for the Indians, Harvest Festival for the indigenous tribes, etc... It promotes racial harmony in a multicultural society, so it's a good thing.

apc

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
... she stated that she wants us ... to behave in a manner that better falls in line with her beliefs ...

She did?

Where?

I'm looking over her posts and she seems to echo the sentiments of most other posters... that this is pathetic and moronic on the part of Congress. Do you not have a problem with the federal government making a public endorsement and appraisal of one specific religion in this country?

[edit on 13-12-2007 by apc]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Cavscout

Where do you see me pushing anything? for people that complain about others discriminating religion you seem to be at the top with that statement.

Congress have no right to get involve on any kind of suggestion or even hint of religious believes of what is right or wrong on anything or to take sides with one religious believes and disregard others.

Unless it violates religious freedom

Plain and simple, anybody that fails to see behind the actions of congress are truly blind.

I guess after Bush and the republican congress failing to give the religious rights their do after the 2004 elections the now Democrat congress is trying to win their votes with a gesture of proclamation.

The only hypocrite here is congress itself.

BTW the only one been worshiped on Christmas eve is the Big fat man in the red suit he has replaced Christianity's Jesus for a shopping spree.

[edit on 13-12-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
No way there are 2 billion Christians. Real Christians let you kill them, steal from them, and they are not angered.
That is what the bible teaches - good teachings indeed, I am not sarcastic.
www.ashidakim.com...
Who does not follow those is just calling himself Christian, maybe because he is afraid of what could happen after death. Look - if we call ourselves Christians we go to heaven

[edit on 13-12-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Why the need for the government to recognize any religion's importance?

Hey Ras. Merry Christmas.

Probably because so many people want to PC Christmas into the dust bin, but the fact is that the history of this country is deeply entwined with Christianity. So to recognize that fact could help appease those who recognize that the MSM and the schools (etc etc) are trying to make Christmas vanish.

It makes good politics and it is nice for this time of year.

Just my guess.

Originally posted by infinite
Doesn't that kinda violate "separation of Church and State"?
Isn't the Congress meant to not support or endorse any religion?

Recognizing that Christianity has been important to the history of this country isn't 'endorsing'. It's just making note of a historical fact.

Originally posted by marg6043
It looks like an opening for more legislation to protect only Christians from other denominations of believes.

If it said 'recognizes the work that BLACKS have done for America' (paraphrase), would you all have a problem with it because it said 'blacks' and not 'eveyrone'??? Or would you say 'it's nice to recognize what a group of people have done for this country'.

MY OPINION - The time and effort would have been better spent on discussing and passing something of importance - like better border security.

[edit on 12/13/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You know that I agree and is not doubt that most Americans love the holidays and that also is a big majority that worship the Christan meaning of the holidays.

I love the holidays.

To think that a minority of people that have a problem with the Christmas and the holidays are going to become a force and persecute those that enjoy and love the holidays and its Christian meaning is just speculation and just been stupid.

Congress should use their time to do in our nation what they were elected for.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Fine with me. I'm not religious (though not an atheist, either). As long as no fundamentalism of any religion becomes "officially" accepted, I'm okay with religion. Religious people are mucher nicer and easier to deal with than fundamentalists of any religion or gloomy gus atheists. I enjoy the festivities and feasting which all seem to copy the pagan observances of the changing seasons. I don't care as long as they don't start chopping off heads, etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm going to write to my congressman about passing a resolution that describes how awesome a beer is after work. Providing that:

(a) Said beer must satisfy my thirst

(b) Be accompanied by a juicy cheeseburger

(c) Congress recognizes that it tastes great and is less filling.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'm going to write to my congressman about passing a resolution that describes how awesome a beer is after work.

Bet you could get it passed! I also bet that if you asked for folks to sign a petition to send to congress on this... that you 'd get a whole bunch of signatures.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It looks as if the Christian element was reacting to previous resolutions passed in October:

I want one of those!

p.s. no pizza resolutions but it is very worrying when this sort of thing can happen!

[edit on 15/12/2007 by skibtz]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I do find it interesting that people post about this and freak out that the Congress would do this, and yet when they did the very same thing for Ramadan no one freaked out. Oddly, NOT ONE SINGLE representative voted NAY to that resolution, even though a few did on the Christmas resolution.

Hmm...I wonder why...

[edit on 16-12-2007 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

Had I known I would have freaked out. It's as useless a resolution as this Christian one. Why not pass real legislation that will help the average, or even below average American.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

I agree that they are pointless but they do help the Congress satisfy its political groups, which is part of their job (even though we do not like it). I would not want to see them passing any legislation to help anyone, but I would like to see them pass legislation to cut their own pay and shrink government.

And I'm a former bureaucrat.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This is a good one and there is nothing absurd about it....The left and other organizations are attempting to stop using the word Christmas in School and Abridging Christian Rights........

The Thing is this They still talk about Hannukah and the Pillars of Faith of Islam are still taught in school....but god forbid you mention Christmas or Christmas break

Teachers have been disciplined for saying Christmas this is what is absurd.

This is not persecuting any other Religion because if any 30 year old white male were to dare go to High School and condemn the school for it teaching the Islamic Pillars of Faith just imagine what would happen.

I have read all of your POSTS and you guys scare the you know what out of me...are you that blind. This was brought into hearing over the ludicrous assumptions that are being made by educators in our school and is not from the conservative right it is from people who are sick of the idiocy.... Check this stuff out for yourself....

You mean you are all going to say how stupid this was even if it was from the conservative right...But you are going to allow Elitist homosexual education groups to come into your school and let them tell your kids that being gay is just fine and that they should try it and feel free to experiment.. You people really, I mean really scare me!

[edit on 17-12-2007 by birchtree]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join