It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group Says NBC Refuses to Air Ads Thanking Troops Over Holidays

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Group Says NBC Refuses to Air Ads Thanking Troops Over Holidays

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — NBC has nixed holiday advertisements meant to thank troops for serving overseas in opposition to the inclusion of a non-profit's Web address.

The ads, paid for by the non-profit Freedom's Watch, are a simple thank you, the group says, with people shown paying gratitude to members of the military and the final frame showing the group's Web address, www.freedomswatch.org.

NBC is refusing to air the ads as long as the address is included, according to an e-mail exchange between NBC and the group, which Freedom's Watch provided to FOX News.

"Per my previous email, the www.freedomswatch.org website will have to be redacted from the commercials for approval. This comes from Alan Wurtzel and Rick Cotton," according to one of the notes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Come on.......Aren't we over this yet??????

the link to the website violates their policy on controversial issue advertising because it encourages political action and other activities. He said the policy is applied consistently across the board and this group was not targeted in any way.

Wurtzel also expressed general concerns that NBC has about people with "deep pockets" being able to buy up a great deal of advertising and affect public perception on any issue, solely because they have the money to do it.

NBC insisted the company sensor themselves on their own web page in order to be allowed to show their web address. Have they ever done this to moveon.org???? I wish they had asked that question.

NBC also objected to using images including military uniforms and vehicles and asked for proof of government approval for the group's use of the images in its ads.

How petty can someone be to go as far as to question that? Seems like to me, NBC is afraid of making someone mad. Seems like to me, in a time when there is more election coverage going on then actual news reporting, the last thing they want on TV is anything positive about the troups over seas. It could be perceived as backing republicans......

I bet if Moveon.org wanted to tahnk the troops, CNN would give away free airtime to them. NYTimes would kick people off their front page and give it to them. When is this double standard going to stop???

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I agree this is terrible, these boys are putting there lives on the line and we cant say thank you. No political message there, this is just the far left libs. This never would have happen if it were move on.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This is all carefully orchestrated to add to the illusion of a "liberal" media and to further the division agenda. Believe me, NBC knows EXACTLY what it's doing.

Peace

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

There is no illusion to the liberal media. When 80-90+% of journalists in the USA vote Democratic, and news stories in the majority of the news media slant to the left of center, you can't tell me that it's all orchestrated by the right, to appear slanted left. That's as they say in technical jargon, a bunch of hooey.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

With all due respect, you're living in an illusion. Based on most of your posts it doesn't surprise me.

Peace

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
No- I'm living in the concrete world, not the abstract world. Can you show one iota of evidence that what you claim is happening/has happened? If not, then it's your opinion and not a fact.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I have to go with the Dr Love on this on and point out that NBC and the like rarely has a problem carrying the conservative line and are only forced to admit that they will whore out themselves to those with power or large amounts of money when they occasionally try to pretend to allow contrary views on the mass media. The fact that Moveon were treated that way while all the obvious lies about Iran and Iraq has never led to many if any official apologies makes the reactionary media bias quite obvious.

Why their occasional attempts to report on the truth, to maintain some kind of credibility, should get them branded with the 'liberal' tag while they are so obviously owned by conservatives is one of those striking examples of how people will believe something if it's repeated often enough!

Stellar

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by StellarX and DrLove

Are you two saying the libs can't and won't think for themselves and will always be controlled by cons?

What crock!
How about the Hollywood bunch and the Academia?

How about moveon's ad in the NYTimes about "General Betray Us" that back fired?

This victim mentality crap has got to stop.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by StellarX

NBC is not really owned by anyone conservative. They are owned by Universal which is owned by General Electric. and Vivendi. Both companies are currently promoting everything green, of course they have a huge amount invested in alternative energy including solar and wind. And we all know that MSNBC is even more slanted left than CNN is. And thats pretty hard to believe!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I don't see how one can watch most news stations, or read most newspapers/news magazines, and then say with a straight face that they are conservative. The only area where conservatives have an advantage is in talk radio, because most listeners don't want to listen to whiny, self-loathing, defeatist commentators.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
BlueRaja...Have you ever looked at the ratings? Conservative shows are off the charts, what bubble do you live in?

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigJoeNYC
I agree this is terrible, these boys are putting there lives on the line and we cant say thank you. No political message there, this is just the far left libs. This never would have happen if it were move on.

These boys have invaded a country for oil!

Why should this be thanked?

Innocent people are dying and being murdered while Halliburton gets richer and richer, and we should thank them?

This would be the equivalent of thanking colonial settlers who came from Europe and murdered and killed innocent native americans.

Should they be thanked as well?
Oh ya, i'm sorry, they are, that's what Thanksgiving and Columbus day is for. I apologize I forgot who we were talking about.

Happy Genocide!

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

apc

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
80-90+% of journalists vote Democratic? Did you ask them personally or is this some sort of legitimate statistic given in range+ format?

I'm not saying I doubt it. Just let us stick to what's provable, mmkay?

It's NBC. What can we expect?

Every morning when my TV is still on NBC from watching Leno I want to vomit if I'm not fast enough to change the channel and I'm forced to view a close-up of Hillary for an instant. NOT how I like to start my day.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Are you two saying the libs can't and won't think for themselves and will always be controlled by cons?

What is one's conclusions going to be like when the vast majority of your information channels are being controlled by the conservative ( and i am being generous and not calling them all reactionary) corporate machinery? What happens when the 'liberal' , and not even so according to normal western world standards, voters are miles ahead of their so called representatives who so diligently pander to corporate interest despite the best wishes and actions of their supporters? What are the 'liberal' voters supposed to do when their 'liberal' views are so riddled with conservative presumptions about this world?

What crock!
How about the Hollywood bunch and the Academia?

The liberal academia had a chance in the 60's but they pretty much got fired and worked out of the university system long ago. Sure many remain but it's a watered down type of resistance that understands what it can and can't get away with. As to the Hollywood bunch i am not sure what they have done for liberals or liberty unless sex and violence are now considered signs of a liberal bias?

How about moveon's ad in the NYTimes about "General Betray Us" that back fired?

That's what happens when the ACTUAL liberals have the audacity to try publicize their views in the main stream media. When the same NY Times helps the conservatives/reactionaries to sell wars for resources and the like they are very rarely forced to post retractions or apologise for accepting money in return for propaganda.

This victim mentality crap has got to stop.

It has for a long time surprised me that reactionary ( because conservatives don't believe such nonsense) right do not believe in victims and that everyone pretty much deserves what they get. As i keep repeating the mind of the commissar is a most fascinating , if scary, place.

Originally posted by traderonwallst

reply to post by StellarX

NBC is not really owned by anyone conservative. They are owned by Universal which is owned by General Electric. and Vivendi.

So they are owned by corporate entities that are NOT conservative? GE is not reactionary in it's drive for profit? Where have you been?

Both companies are currently promoting everything green, of course they have a huge amount invested in alternative energy including solar and wind.

Actually both companies have invested a little in covering their terrible environmental record by pretending to be green and giving a few dollars , that they stole from you, to alternative energy production which they will no doubt eventually try to sell you are massive profit to themselves having convinced you that paying more for 'clean' energy will 'save' the environment.

And we all know that MSNBC is even more slanted left than CNN is. And thats pretty hard to believe!!!!!!!!

CNN is still right wing and to presume that it's approaching the center because FOX and others are so far to right is just admitting to a lack of perspective. Compare American media to European media and you will quickly see that what is considered 'left' in America is admittedly quite right wing in the rest, if not actual, civilized world.

Originally posted by BlueRaja

I don't see how one can watch most news stations, or read most newspapers/news magazines, and then say with a straight face that they are conservative.

But how can you when you wont look?

The only area where conservatives have an advantage is in talk radio, because most listeners don't want to listen to whiny, self-loathing, defeatist commentators.

In radio the reactionary bias is less obvious than in print or TV but that is mostly because radio is still relatively cheap to do and people still have community radio that has a harder time selling obvious nonsense and propaganda. Obviously you will find the worse types of right wing excess on radio but since that's the last place you can still find what can be called a left it's to be expected.

Stellar

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
So many errors, I don;t know where to begin?

First off you say CNN is right wing!!!!!!!!!!! HUH?????????????
Now I know that must be a typo, if not you certainly have no idea whats going on in today's world and you lose all credibility to me. Making all other comments moot. So, for sake of my sanity I will assume (and I hate to assume anything) that you made a boo-boo on that one.

You say information channels are owned by conservative corporate machines. The idea of being a publicly traded company is to serve your shareholders. You must do what is in the share holders best interest, so saying they are reactionary is the proper way to go about everyday business. I am pro-business, so my argument stops there. The shareholders come first. Now, as for who runs these information channels...CNN liberal (despite what you said)....MSNBC - liberal and borderline kooky if you ask me, ABC - liberal, NBC - liberal, CBS - liberal...CNBC business minded so I have no problems with the way they report news. FOX, yes slightly conservative.

Liberal acedemia....still as strong as ever. At my alma-mater every professor, except the one in the science and business departments were liberal and had no problems pushing their agenda on students. Who led rallies while I was at school? Not the students, it was the professors leading students in marches. And I went to an east coast business school.
Liberal in hollywood...you betcha!!! How many anti-government, anti-war movies have you seen come out in the past few years. The good thing is they BOMB.....(pun intended) Clooney won;t shut up about the election and Algore, Streisand ....well, its just Barbara being Barbara now. But they are influening all the young new actors and actresses these days and really know little about what they talk about.

When has the NY Times done anything for republicans or conservative????? Does the ad for moveon.org ring a bell? They even got fined for that one

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst[/
Now, as for who runs these information channels...CNN liberal (despite what you said)....MSNBC - liberal and borderline kooky if you ask me, ABC - liberal, NBC - liberal, CBS - liberal...CNBC business minded so I have no problems with the way they report news. FOX, yes slightly conservative.

Liberal acedemia....still as strong as ever.

I have worked for NBC News and I would say that division employs a number of people who are somewhat liberal poltically, though it strives for objectivity. The entertainment division is "business minded" which to me is not synonymous with extreme conservatism. I would agree that ABC and CBS News are much like NBC. I think CNN is conservative and Fox is VERY conservative. IMO professors (not necessarily students) tend to range from liberal to radical, except in Texas and much of the south.

I'm defining "liberal" as SLIGHTLY to the left of center, and "conservative" as slightly to the right. Today it seems that anyone who is liberal is considered extremely far left, which amuses me.The truth is there is hardly any real left remaining in America; the whole country has shifted far to the right. So you have reactionaries calling conservatives leftists.

By the way, I consider NBC's decision on Freedom's Watch justifiable considering the network's advertisers and viewers. It's all about business.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
[
With all due respect, you're living in an illusion. Based on most of your posts it doesn't surprise me.

Peace

Please dio show where his "illusion" is...
Thank ya. Oh, yeah.. PEACE

new topics

top topics

join