It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racial slur as man calls Welsh woman "English"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

LOL. Very true.

I will say this. LOL

Im Scottish...both sides of my family.....And people are ALWAYS saying: "are you Irish?" And I always say: "nooooooo, im Scottish!" Then I always get the response: "Same thing!"

Uh, no its not. LOL

[edit on 5-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Well, I'm Irish and if someone asked me if I were Scottish I'd say "HELL NO!!!"

By the way, they are really two-peas in a pod, but I'm not going tio debate with ya..

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

funny we have the same reaction....but different blood in us...funny!

hey, they are 2 diff islands! lol and diff accents....

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Some folk in my country get offended if people call them 'Melayu', which is the Malay word for.. well.. Malay. They prefer to be called 'Malay".

That's also amusing.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
I notice people take offence to being called their neighbour. For example, Canadians don't like to be called American, Australians don't like to be called Kiwis and the French don't like to be called Germans.

Amusing, isn't it?

Which is why football fans sing "youre just a small town in Wales" to any club located on the English side of the England Wales border.

Next we will be having the police cart off thousands of fans to jail for racial abuse.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well, I can kind of see the French's point, given the WW2 and all, but, yeah, it is silly Beach... People are soft... God forbid someone tell someone else the truth anymore... :shk:

French and German animosity goes way back, long before WW2, even before WW1. They fought over the Alsace and Lorraine regions for much of the 19th century.

As for the article, how can English be defined as a race, seeing as we have Blacks, Asians and what not who would also describe themselves as English.

Odd.

Also, someone asked about the Magistrate. magistrates in the UK can be almost anyone. The youngest was sworn in at the age of 18 or 19 a few months back. They have some training and are supposed to deal with minor cases.

I would hazard a guess and say the Magistrates who sat in on this case were Welsh and, being Welsh, don't like the English, so screwed the defendent over. He has every right to appeal and probably should. He would have good grounds and precedent to get the conviction overturned

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Can a Brit please explain to me what the actual animosity is between the Welsh and the English? Is there a history of violence between the two? I'm going to London next month and don't want to upset anyone with an offhand comment without knowing the history behind it.

Thanks

apc

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb

Is there no freedom of speech or freedom of opinion there anymore?

Around here a disorderly conduct charge is called for if someone is acting in a manner that reasonably creates a sense of personal danger for others. But I can call a white guy black all day long. He actually would be more confused than offended, I'd imagine.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Can a Brit please explain to me what the actual animosity is between the Welsh and the English? Is there a history of violence between the two? I'm going to London next month and don't want to upset anyone with an offhand comment without knowing the history behind it.

Thanks

The Welsh hate the English to the point where they would be speaking English in a pub and if someone English walks in, they will start speaking Welsh.

Youll find most English people dont really care about the Welsh. Theres nothing to worry about really.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
And there was me thinking the closest thing to woman in Wales was the sheep

Seriously though, British By Birth, English By The Grace Of God is a phrase commonly heard.
Swap English for Irish, Scottish or Welsh depending on which part of The Union you are in.

Each country is proud of it's own individual identity, (unfortunately it is outlawed for an Englishman to display his national pride or else he will be named a racist, but I digress), but are also proud to be part of the Union.

As with most countries, there is some history of conflict between us and as a result there are national elements in every country.
English nationalism seems to be on the increase.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by Freeborn]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
The Welsh hate the English to the point where they would be speaking English in a pub and if someone English walks in, they will start speaking Welsh.

But why do they hate the English?

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Everyone hates the English, it's called jealousy!

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Not me. But then again me country is rather Anglophilic. You guys were the best colonial masters we had, compared to the Dutch and the Portuguese before that... :bash:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is pathetic,ihave a mate who's welsh and always call him taffy and sheepshagger etc its just banter,haveing been to wales on holiday ever since i was a ankle snapper i find its the tossers in the south of wales who hate us english the most,me and friends a few years ago were in a pub in wales and we could tell by the stonely silence and the non english lose a pint of spittle language being used plus the odd word saying english something or other, that were we're not welcome,later on that night one brave taff tripped my mate up while he was walking over with a tray of beer and we kicked off ,hammered the hell out of them and left them in pieces,i do not hate welsh people just some places ,its bred into them like the irish and scottish to hate us ,christ even our own goverment is trying to tar any one who's proud to be english as being a right wing bnp member yet other nationalitys ie the scots ,irish etc can parade their culture and identity with no problems what so ever.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by snipermeister]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Maybe I can press charges against some of the foreign folks who mistakenly refer to all Americans as "Yanks" or "Yankees" (northerners are Yankees.) Almost exactly the same thing as the Welsh/English mistake :p. I don't really care, but I know people who do. Maybe they need to get a life.

At my last job I was marked down as "Hispanic" for race by the HR person who interviewed me. Again, I didn't care, but it was kind of funny considering my ancestry is Dutch/Danish and I have those kind of features.

I don't understand what the big deal is if he called her a bitch. Sure, it's quite disrespectful, but it really isn't a big deal.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

But why do they hate the English?
Because they are insignificant compared to England. Probably a bit like Quebec hating the rest of Canada.

I dont know if thats correct but thats the situation here.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by more_serotonin_pls

I think the key point to why he was sentenced was that he blatantly intended to insult the lady on grounds of her apparent ethnic origin, which is surely racist?

It doesn't matter where the lady is from, the guy chose to use the nationality 'English' in his verbal attack after HE drove a truck into the ladies PARKED car, did he believe calling her English would be more insulting?

Sure he has the right to be upset with himself but there was no need to verbally attack the poor woman.

On a lighter the guy should be watch out for the Welsh Mafia, known as the Tafia - the things they can do with leaks....

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

I think you will find most British people tend to use their Country of origin as a bit of a semi-humorous friendly banter piece. No one laughs more about the British than the British! We are the best in the world at that - having a strong sense of humour should be an immigration requirement hehe.

Honestly its all about context, if you blatantly walk up to a Welshman and say to his face that you've seen videos floating on the Internet of his mum doing things with a sheep then you could quite probably expect things to turn nasty. It would probably be the same in all cultures.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by freeradical]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Born in England me and well proud to be English, got married last year wearing a kilt
I know.

Heritage is Celtic, both Welsh and Scottish, as it is my family name is Welsh and so wore our family clan colours, on wearing said kilt I was asked if I was Scottish..........errr 'scuse me but do I have ginger hair I offered as a reply (1-0 to England)
Now any real Scot will understand the ginger bit.

"Ohh so you are sheep fiddler then" came another witty remark, only on the quiet I said, as the Welsh always have first dibs on anything wooly and baa baa's, (2-0 to England)

My point is, that common sense as been replaced with political correctness, it really does smack of the vision by George Orwell and the book and film 1984.

To me a Scot is a jock, Welsh is sheep sha**er, Irish is Paddy or Mick, and whatever I get called in return just adds to the fun and banter.

If people keep taking the FU out of FUN then all we will be left with N which =none.

Wolfie

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfie_UK

I would agree, however in this case there was definite aggressive intent by the man which was unnecessary.

One of my work mates is a bald ginger Englishman and doesn't he know it lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join