It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abusive cop tasers man for refusing to sign a ticket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Abusive cop tasers man for refusing to sign a ticket

slackerwire.com

Utah Highway Patrol tasers man after he refuses to sign a ticket.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
This cop belongs in prison with the rest of the criminals. I am no fan of lawsuits, but the driver and his family deserve a nice settlement from this. Hopefully the worthless cop will also be found civilly liable for damages.

slackerwire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
i agree you dont have to sign a ticket they say to sign it if you understand everything so reasonably you can refuse. in my opinion this was assault on the officers part.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
If the wife would have had a gun, she could have legally shot the abusive cop.

Would've, could've, should've.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
hmm that would have sent a loud message....similair to the first shot at lexington...im sure cops would think twice about tasering people

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
These lawdogs are getting out of control

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I'm not sure how many people know or realize this, but whenever you sign your name to a document, you become a member of a legally binding contract.

You should not be expected to sign any such contract under threat or coercion, especially if you do not understand it completely. That is your right.

If the laws of the land say you are liable for something, they will enforce it one way or another through a court of law.

This is where they do the "gotcha!" contracts. They "ticket" you, you sign it, and then you're bound to pay the "punishment" even though your case never went to court. All because you signed. After you sign, it's over.

According to constitutional law, no law enforcement agency is permitted to deal out punishment to you at the scene of a crime. Due process dictates that to punish someone, they must first go to court of law and be proven guilty.

This cop was obviously an emotional egomaniac just bullying a civilian. He had no right to do this.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Nineteen Eighty Four.

Wake up.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Yeah i watched the vid all the way thru.. brutal. This guy did absolutly nothing wrong and in the end got tazered. Makes me think that it CAN happen to me. Kinda messed up...

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt. It indicates that the person will appear to answer for the offense. Here, if one doesn't sign, I believe one gets arrested or detained. Isn't signing the way a person gets to leave and answer later instead of going to the jail or court right away.

The guy shouldn't get tasered but without signing he most likely would be detained at jail.

Anyone sure that a person can actually refuse to sign a ticket without police taking action in that state or city?

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

yes but theres a box on the ticket the cop can sign saying suspect refused to sign ticket just because you dont sign it doesnt make the ticket invalid. and no they cant detain you for refusing to sign a ticket now the cop is risking a lawsuit against his department. possibly assault charges or since the taser has now been proven to be deadly (the woman in the sheelchair) possibly assault with a deadly weapon, false inprisonment (if you have a awesome lawyer possibly kidnapping). dont get me wrong me and the police dont exactly get along i respect most of them but the badge doesnt mean you can do whatever you want.

apc

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It's up to the cop on how to proceed, but yeah usually you go to jail. Here in Missouri, anyway.

It's no admission of guilt, just a confirmation that you have received the ticket and understand you have been charged with an infraction. You can either check the Guilty or No Contest box and send in your fine, or go to court and fight the charge.

The lazy pig using his Tazer was just retarded. The guy wasn't a threat to anyone. Just take the idiot to jail already.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Refusal to sign some states can arrest you, Most tickets basically show the infractions/accusal and that you will show up to court, but heres the deal regardless of the ticket, your going to get a summons to appear in the mail... and if you don't show up your in trouble, a forced signature is BS which they use to add even more sht against you in favor of the state...

Ive been pulled over multiple times by the same cop needles to say I've never committed a crime nor any traffic violations, I've been harassed by one particular trooper one to many times and I have refused to sign a bogus ticket knowing full well id be arrested and in turn i was, I know my rights and ill let any cops know it, a badge and a gun won't make be bend over and say yes sir no sir.

come court time the charges were dropped case dismissed and i paid nothing but a night in jail. I'm sorry but if I'm right I'm not submitting to any so called authority, nor am I going to sign anything and acknowledge something that is wrong.

Some will say just sign it and make things easy, these people have no spine nor do they possess the traits of free men.

It is completely wrong and unacceptable I don't care how you try and justify it, for any law enforcement officer to resort to violence for a crime which has no victim.

[edit on 22-11-2007 by C0le]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I've seen to many of this videos, and I know exactly what to do if a cop over steps his boundaries. This is a choice you should make well before any traffic stop.

Taser=deadly weapon.

Respond in kind.

You point a taser at me, whether you are a cop or a thug, you will face an instant death in a barrage of lead.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I think the cop was well within his rights to do what he did, though most of them are nice enough to issue several warnings.

He claimed at the end to the other cop he did warn, but re-watching he did not warn of an arrest nor of a tazing for non-compliance. I doubt that's required anyway.

If it had been a small female officer and a large guy, then to do otherwise would not have been smart on her part. So it's just a matter of degree. If you watch, the guy did look like he had a thought of getting in the car and driving off.

I'm the first to decry police violence and tactics, but I can't find substantial fault with this cops' actions except that most of them are nice enough to warn first.

Apparently they're given relatively free reign to use the tazer by the higher ups - it's probably considered non-lethal force and equivalent to being pepper sprayed and considerably less escalated than a nightstick or the gun.

Wonder how the tape got out?

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I refused to sign a ticket once and the cop called in to ask what he should do and they told him to arrest me. I wouldn't roll down my window or unlock my door for him to arrest me and if my car wasn't broken down and blocking the road (excuse for the ticket) I would have just driven off. Since he had the go-ahead from his superiors, he started banging on my windshield with his nightstick. I knew he was going to break it and probably drag my defiant ass out, so I just got out and let him take me to jail. Took my car to jail too (impound). Moral of the story, sign the stupid thing then go to court armed with knowlege of constitutional law.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

The guy who was tasered obtained the tape through the Utah version of FOIA. My guess is he rightfully needs it for an upcoming lawsuit.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
this taser thing is getting out of control!! This ticket thing has been out of control..How is it just to arrest for not signing a stinkin speeding ticket??Just to put this out there cops if you piont that thing at me i will do whatever i can to touch or grab you if i have to ride the lighting you might as well to!!!

top topics

join