It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would make YOU stop and talk to me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Last week I started street fundraising for an organization that work for several charities, the bottom line is that we want people to set up a standing order/direct debit and give the charity a small amount of �� every month, say �5/�10 a month.

Last week I was representing a charity helping people with disabilities in the developing world (Ghana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Sudan, Tanzania, Cambodia, Bangladesh etc). The aim of the charity is to help these people get their basic human rights to healthcare, education and employment.

What I would like to ask everyone here at ATS, is what would I have to say to you in the street as you march past me to make you stop and talk to me for 2 minutes, it could be anything, something funny, something serious, something to grab your attention.

All ideas welcome.

Cheerz people.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I stopped and listened to a young guy talking about projects of the Wesley Central Mission at my local shopping centre 48 hours ago.

What drew me was naturalness and enthusiasm, not what he'd originally said. I needed to coax the info I wanted from him in the end.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
just be honest and intelligent and not to pushy!

I know its hard workin for charities and that but u cant be snatchy or snippy or u drive away the crowds.

Just be natural and informative.

Good luck
Gryff

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peace
Last week I started street fundraising for an organization that work for several charities, the bottom line is that we want people to set up a standing order/direct debit and give the charity a small amount of �� every month, say �5/�10 a month.

Well the problem is you want DirectDebit.

The public aren't complete morons, once they sign a directdebit over to you then you're able to take whatever you want from their bank accounts each month.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Ask them for donations on the spot.

Then as them to write down their contact info and send them information via mail as to what you are interested in doing.

Do it Nation of Islam style. Dress nice and look professional.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

A stranger stops me on the street and asks for my bank account number? Over here you would get, at best laughed at, more than likely cussed.

Ask for on the spot donations and have some fliers to give with your org. on them that lets the people check yall out and make sure your legit THEN maybe you can get direct deposit.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
All of your points are good, and noted.

My problem isn't that I cannot convince people to sign up, it is getting them to stop in the first place.

I can stop ladies, give a compliment then flirt a lot, make her laugh, then get serious and move in for the kill. But I can't approach guys in the same way, I approach every lady like I fancy her, thats the only way i can actually get anyone to sign up. I signed up 7 ladies in 2 days, but no men.

So guys, if your walking down the high street, what would make you stop in your tracks and talk to me.

I thought about wearing a hilarious hat or wig.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think you should use the same approach as with the women. Flatter them...offer them a date..tell them how nice they look in their flannel shirts.
You might not getting any money but you might find a way to fill those lonely Saturday nights.

Its a win-win as the Americans like to say

Nothing is true...everything is permissable

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I think you should use the same approach as with the women. Flatter them...offer them a date..tell them how nice they look in their flannel shirts.

ROFLMAO

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Peace, I dunno if you are male or female...but I would stop and talk if youre female and used a "bead collection technique" like they do at Mardi-Gras.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Kill the 'pitch' and offer sincerity.

A 'pitch' is the first thing to turn me away regardless of the sincerity intended.

A hard line to figure out, but most effective if successful.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You got it, not only do you have donor fatigue to contend with but also the cacophany of other "gimmies" out there trying to raise money for worthy causes.

Sincerity is the only answer, as well as a professional presentation with color pics and outlines of what you do, like World Vision do.

Originally posted by smirkley
Kill the 'pitch' and offer sincerity.

A 'pitch' is the first thing to turn me away regardless of the sincerity intended.

A hard line to figure out, but most effective if successful.

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Do some kind of act, like they do at the Renaissance fairs or something. People love to watch a good act. The crazier the better. And after you get a crowd, you can tell them whatever you want, eventually. Can you act? Just an idea....

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
To get a guy to stop and listen you might want to employ the assitance of a georgious female... Barring that, the direct approach using SINCERE, LOGICAL, ARTICULATE language completely DEVOID of a sales pitch should work.

Something along the lines of, "Excuse me sir, you look as though you know exactly what you are doing and where you are going, that's a great feeling isn't it?" "Maybe you haven't thought about it but there are people in this world who have NOTHING and nowhere to go and don't have a clue what to do" "YOU can help them, I'll make it EASY and FAST and you will feel better for it to boot" "What do you say?" "Isn't your fellowman worth 3 quick minutes out of your day?"

Also, you have to make eye contact and "connect". Anybody that can't look me in the eye I distrust, you need to gain trust in seconds flat so I would strongly suggest looking them straight in the eye.

A guy who doesn't want to be bothered will look away, that will thin out the no goods, some of the others will wonder why the hell a complete stranger is looking them in the eye on the street and stop to hear what you have to say.

I would NOT ask for their bank account info on the street, there is NO REASON your charity needs that information up front. I like the flier idea for future contact.

I can't beleive you got 7 women to hand over their account info! You must be talented! If you ever find yourself in Dallas, Texas come see me about a job!

PEACE...
m...

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Cheerz guys and girls, I am a guy by the way, although I thought that was clear. I especially like Springer's advice, eye contact is a must at all times, as is a smile.

I like the emphasis on EASY/FAST, thankyou for influencing my technique on men, I must try this - cut the crap, straight to the point, start by asking a simple question, I'm starting to think that is the way with blokes.

We do allow people to sign up and fill in everything on the form except the sort code and account number, we ask the punter to allow us to call him/her later to obtain the info at a more convenient time, in a more secure environment.

Thanx again, I'll let everyone know next Sunday how the different techniques have worked, wish me luck people.

new topics

top topics

join