It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is This The Most Influential Sci-Fi Film Ever?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

I agree that Star Wars was the most influential ‘sci-fi’ film ever.

The most culturally influential science fiction film ever was 2001.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Silent Running....seriously underrated......

'ahh huey louey n 'dewey and of course joanbayers

edit on 16-1-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
9. Quest for fire

Jurassic Spark is on your list of Sci-Fi movies?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

I was just going to mention that movie and i saw you already did and yes its true,the movie forbidden planet-1956 is one of the cornerstones of science fiction cinema,along with star wars-1977 and 2001:a space odyssey-1968 and perhaps metropolis-1927,but its arguable wether or not that movie is really a science fiction movie? Things to come-1936 had fantastically rendered set designs and modelwork and that movie should also be included as well as invaders from mars-1953..

Most influential ever? 2001:a space odyssey-1968 is 1st because there was nothing like it before and star wars-1977 would be 2nd for ushering in a new level of technological film making,but 2001 did as well and it stands alone above the rest,imo...
edit on 7-5-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

I was only around 2 years old and way too young to have seen 2001:a space odyssey-1968 in a theater,so i couldnt say what that experience was like back then,but its not hard to imagine what a mind blowing experience the "stargate" sequence must have been...

Too bad more theaters dont re-show older classic movies the way they were meant to be seen,up on the big screen.Wide screen tv's are awesome,but they cant compare to a giant movie theater screen...

I remember when i first saw the 1977 star wars movie on the big screen,the way it and all movies were meant to be seen and it was like no other movie before,people were cheering and yelling at the screen,especially during the opening scene when the spaceships first fly into view from overhead and like no other movie before and perhaps ever since did star wars grab the attention of the world,it literally altered our culture and aimed us and our minds in a new direction as well...

Think about it,while we were living in caves more or less,look what was going on..."a long time ago,in a galaxy far far away"...Wow!

Seeing close encounters of the third kind -1977 by steven spielberg up on the big screen back then was also a very awesome experience and that great movie must also be mentioned and given much credit as well...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
When Worlds Collide-1951 > www.scifimovies.com...

Invaders From Mars-1953 > www.eccentric-cinema.com...

War Of The Worlds-1953 > filmtard.blogspot.com...

I Married A Monster From Outer Space-1958 > www.eccentric-cinema.com...

I Married A Monster From Outer Space is perhaps the most bizarre title of any movie?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Does anyoen remember the fantastic movie Robinson Crusoe on Mars? That had a bit of everything in it, and the ufos were brilliant.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Hi,hows your tambourine playing lately? and yes i have seen robinson carusoe on mars quite awhile ago and i should try to see it again soon.Its a really good color science fiction film from 1964 and one of the stars is adam (batman) west > www.radiationcinema.com...

edit on 8-5-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
The Day the Earth Stood Still

Director:Robert Wise

Writers:Harry Bates (story)
Edmund H. North (screenplay)

Release Date:28 September 1951 (USA)

dido~!
and the one with Keanu Reeves was as good and in some respects was better.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Tambourine not going too well. When I blow it I just slaver all over myself.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Close Encounters of The Third Kind

Fire In The Sky

Sunshine

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think Star Trek the series should get a mention here.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Do you mean the Star Trek series from the 1960s? if so,then yes your right and i still like watching it now,too bad that show was cancelled only after a few seasons and i wonder why? and why is it so much more popular now than it was back when it was deleted? a case of not knowing what we have until its gone?...

Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon movie serials,television shows,radio programs and comics from the 1930's and 40's were very ground breaking and influential sci-fi as well,perhaps more than anything else,along with Superman from the 1940s and 50s...

edit on 3-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Aye, I meant the 60s series. I grew up on that. Awesome stuff. Now everyone has a phaser to talk to their mothership, or friends. And some even have tazers, and lasers.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The Day the Earth Stood still was amazing. Remember this was released just 6 years after we nuked other humans. A wake up call. Another that looks at humanity from an alien perspective, not in a good light, is Starman.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'd choose Metropolis and 2001 as influencial.
And Solaris (the original Tarkovsky version) as one of the biggest brain-melter of all time

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus
I'd choose Metropolis and 2001 as influencial.
And Solaris (the original Tarkovsky version) as one of the biggest brain-melter of all time
Yes theres an ahead of its time female android in the movie metropolis 1927,but is it actually a science fiction movie? not really and i hate the way the russian solaris shifts back and forth between b/w and color,like a lot of tarkovsky films do, because of,unfortunately,budget restraints and i find the original b/w day the earth stood still a little over rated, while other color science fiction films also from the 1950's such as forbidden planet,invaders from mars and war of the worlds are all superior on multiple levels,with longer lasting influence as well...
edit on 27-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Planet of the apes.
Dawn of the dead.

Both films have similar plots. On a post apocalyptic planet where they have to find a way to survive. Both films influenced a lot of other science fiction films afterwards.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I really believe its 2001 but what about best Science Fiction Comedies? Dark Star. You might consider Rocky Horror a science fiction musical. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Unintentional comedies Plan Nine From Outer Space.

posted on Apr, 28 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Most influential Sci-Fi film to date has to be a tossup between 2001 and Planet of the Apes (the original, not the mediocre remake). Sorry boys and girls Star Wars as much as I love it does not qualify as it is not Science Fiction it is Space Opera, or simply put technological sword and sorcery.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join