It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Obesity (Fox News at it's finest)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Fox news have an in depth obesity study on their website and using a study by the University of Alabama, they have listed the top ten causes of obesity
in the united states:

Top 10 Causes of Obesity

1. Sleep debt. Getting too little sleep can increase body weight. Today's Americans get less shut-eye than ever.

2. Pollution. Hormones control body weight. And many of today’s pollutants affect our hormones.

3. Air conditioning. You have to burn calories if your environment is too hot or too cold for comfort. But more people than ever live and work in temperature-controlled homes and offices.

www.foxnews.com...

Posting Work Written by Others

[edit on 11-5-2007 by worldwatcher]

Mod Edit: Reduced External Quote.

[edit on 5/11/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Just saw the full title states:
''Causes of Obesity Other Than Over-Eating,Inactivity''

I notice they seem to disregard driving despite the fact that millions of us spends hour upon hour sitting on our asses in traffic every day.

In my opinion the main cause of obesity is quite simply people's eating habits. Not enough home cooking and too much fast food, perhaps that's stating the obvious.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Other then a medical reason, I believe its inactivity and over eating - both are a choice on behalf of the individual.

I wont blame restaurants, fast food etc. As they dont force anyone to eat there. I manage to eat 95% of all my meals at home - that is my choice. I also choose to either sit on my arse all day or work out.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pmexplorer
Just saw the full title states:
''Causes of Obesity Other Than Over-Eating,Inactivity''

I notice they seem to disregard driving despite the fact that millions of us spends hour upon hour sitting on our asses in traffic every day.

In my opinion the main cause of obesity is quite simply people's eating habits. Not enough home cooking and too much fast food, perhaps that's stating the obvious.

Yes basically:

Portion size
Too much processed food
Not enough exercises
etc.

For 99.9% of the people, look no further.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Sigh. Soooooo much disinformation. The above reasons might have a little something to do with it, but here's what I think:

1. Everyone lives on fast food/junk food/prepared food. Pure sat.fat & refined carbs and absolutely NO antioxidants/minerals/living enzymes.

2. We all eat at restaurants more now than any other time in human history, and all any business cares about is repeat business. Restaurant food is laced with sat. fat and flavorings to get us coming back.

3. Before oily fish were raised on farms & fish food they used to swim around the ocean eating green phytoplankton & produce Omega 3 fatty acids. Beef used to contain an Omega 3 FA also called CLA, when cows ate grass instead of corn. Omega 3s are a very important anti-inflammatory fat, & lack thereof can cause obesity, depression, acne, ADHD, arthritis & a host of other conditions. We need our EFAs for brain, cell & nerve maintenance & regeneration. They don't call them ESSENTIAL fatty acids for nothing. Animals must consume green plants to produce Omega 3. When we don't get our Omega 3s, our bodies send us INCESSANT cravings for fatty tasting food, which we answer by eating fried stuff/dairy products, and the cycle just continues. Take an Omega 3 supplement (screened for mercury) for a week and just see if you still want those french fries.

4. Refined sugar is a poison to the human body. It depletes you of minerals & too much sugar abuse leads to cravings for sweet tasting things, which we answer by eating more sugar when we should eat whole fruit to replace lost nutrients. Alcohol is almost molecularly identical to sugar.

5. Too much caffeine depletes calcium/magnesium, and causes cravings for sweets/dairy products often high in saturated fats.

6. We live in our cars out of necessity in many places & chronic stress is normal for many adults. The way our bodies get rid of stress hormones is through exercise (fight or flight), but being chained to our desks we never run away these days. (Not that we could, being fat like we are).

I've got more reasons, but these are my top 6

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
As you get older you become more Hispanic? First I've heard of that . . .

Honestly, this list sounds like something a pre-schooler would make up. If you want to stop being fat, become a vegan and run 3km/2mi per day.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Nevertheless, I've heard from numerous sources that you can eat like a total slob but yet if you exercise like a Marine, you'll be fine.

Exercise is more important than diet.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
A good exercise and diet routine go hand in hand for overall health, even if you are naturally skinny.

For a healthy meal plan; it is said to have 6 small meals/snacks during the day as having three huge meals can leave you sluggish thus retaining calories.

A healthy plan should not include;

fast food(including non healthy snacks)
processed food
fructose syrup
soda!
big meals

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
As you get older you become more Hispanic? First I've heard of that . . .

Hmm?

[edit on 6-11-2007 by dreamingawake]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
10 more reasons for increased obesity from Fox News

11. Not having a gun in the house. A sign of complacency. Complacent people eat more

12. Tolerance of homosexuality. Has increased the number of sweet foods in circulation.

13. Increased access to abortion. The food that used to go to the unborn child is now being scoffed by the emptied mother.

14. Atheism. Instead of fat-free communion wafers the new Godless are eating pies and puddings.

15. Desegregation. People were much thinner when the Blacks had to sit at the back of the bus.

16. Corporate taxes. A sign of greed. Greedy people get fat.

17. Being nice to Arabs. It simply causes you to be fat. No-one knows why, but it does.

18. Abolition of capital punishment in northern states. The electric chair was once a great way of shedding some pounds.

19. Teaching Darwin instead of Creationism in public schools. The doctrine of the 'survival of the fittest' has demoralised all but the super-fit. People think 'what's the point? I'm not going to survive anyway'. They console themselves with food.

20. Voting Democratic. It causes obesity.

(This was a tongue firmly in cheek production.)

top topics

join