It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst book you ever read???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsEsterhouse

I have to agree with you. While it is considered a 'classic' my ignorant tastes only found it to be classicaly boring.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Yeah he gets way into the characters, but that is what some people really like. The character developement in the story.

I prefer more plot and realism!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonica_esoterica
I remember years ago when I was in high school being forced to read the Great Gatsby in an AP English class.

What a crap fest the only thing that book is good for is curing insomnia, and when you run out of toilet paper.

I couldn't even get halfway through The Great Gatsby (neither could the rest of the class for that matter).
I had to read it for my 11th grade English class...oh God, what a terrible book that was. I remember we all ended our sentences with "old sport" during the discussions to try to make things a little more interesting.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
A couple of books that I had to read in highschool were " The Red Badge Of Courage" an "The great Gatsby". I hated both of those books. I found them both slow, boring, dull, tedious, and other adjectives of that nature.

A newer book that I really didnt like was "Bright Shiny Day" by james Frey. I loved his first two books " A million little Pieces" and My Friend Leonard". I was hoping his new book would be a continuation but it wasnt. It was kind of a wierd combination of 4 or 5 individual stories mixed up in one book. All though 2 or 3 of the stories could be really good if made into its own book.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Great Expectations was by far the WORST book I have ever read. I think my brother put it pretty accurately when he scrated out the title of the book and put this in its place: A Poorly Written Story Spanning Several Hundred Pages About Nothing Having To Do With Nothing.

It's not even that it was a "classic" that bored me about it. I have NO problem enjoying some of the classics. I just felt that this book gave me no reason to care what happened to Pip, the main character.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Luttrell is a navy seal who was on a mission with 3 other seals and he was the only one to make it out alive. A friend told me this was one of the best books he'd ever read, insane story, heroism and battle scenes out of Rambo, with guys being shot dozens of times and still standing and fighting. Well, the book reads like a propaganda piece right out of the white house. The author disses the "liberal media," blaming them for his not being able to kill unarmed afghan farmers that might alert the taliban to their presence and he constantly praises the white house and bashes the "liberal media" along with constantly boasting about how he fears nothing, can physically outperform anyone blah blah blah.

I actually found myself putting the book down for good in the middle of the big fight between his crew of 4 and what he claims was a never ending supply of taliban fighters. this guy makes Thermopalye (sp?) sound like a walk in the park but that makes sense since he and his three friends were trained by gods to be gods and they can do anything, including jumping off cliffs (twice!) after being shot up and still they walk away to kill hundreds of taliban soldiers.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Interesting, as someone said, is what one calls horrible another enjoys. I loved Great Expectations and The Great Gatsby. How about A Seperate Piece another I was forced to read and enjoyed.

The worse book has to be any by Danielle Steele, she is so popular I read a couple to see what the thrill was.....there was none. My 14 year old could write a more interesting book than her. She has written millions, well maybe not millions, so perhaps I picked the wrong ones, but can't bring myself to try again.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join