It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UCAV is Next Gen inflight morphing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Well we have another UAV to watch in my openion here. NextGen Aeronautics has built and started testing a morphing UAV called the MFX-2 that changes its wing surface in flight like a F-14 but with much more then just sweep wing benifits.

An articulating structure and flexible skin enables a 40% change in wing area, 73% change in span and 177% change in aspect ratio, says NextGen. Unlike conventional variable-geometry wings, morphing allows area and sweep to be varied independently to optimise the configuration for multiple flight regimes

In the pictures the morphing section of wing is grey. To change from one configuration to the next takes about 10s and can be done in level flight or a turn with not loss of altitude. On top of this the performance in a turn when morph more then doubled.

The tests are part of a US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency-sponsored demonstration of morphing technology for a hunter-killer UAV combining the loiter endurance of a surveillance platform with the high-speed dash capability of an attack aircraft.
Previously Torrance, California-based NextGen demonstrated its flexible-skin morphing wing using a small low-speed, remotely piloted vehicle called the MFX-1. The second-generation MFX-2 is a twin-jet, 135kg (300lb) UAV than can be switched between remote and autonomous control in flight

www.flightglobal.com...

A very interesting UAV. Does anyone have pictures of the windtunnel test model as they hint in the article that there are some signifcant difference between the test flight model and the wind test model?

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Did a bit of further hunting heres what I found.

Another shot looks like a model not a windtest one though.

Anyone know what the 2nd shot is of? It looks like some sort of wing structure that appears to be forming the chamber of the wings. It looks like broken up ribs with ribbon for stringers.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The lower picture appears to show the 'concertina' centre section (the grey bit in the top two pics) as the 'stringers' appear flexible, allowing it to expand and contract with the change in wing sweep as you illustrated. Never seen it before though so all that is just a guess.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I think your right waynos. I just wasn't sure myself. In 2 more new photos you can see in one of them that it looks like the stringers are visable. Also now you can see the UAV uses a belly intake along the F-16 mouth lines.

Also found a bit mroe info from flight global again.

Boeing Phantom Works has join ed NextGen as a subcontractor on its MFX-2 UAV, a larger twin jet version of the MFX-1 with improved flexible-skin wing design. Windtunnel tests start in Nov ember. Lockheed's design is based on its unsuccessful "Yellow Bird" folding-wing UAV, with a larger engine and new flight-control system supplied by Athena Technologies.

www.flightglobal.com...

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Looks like a flying missle!

Just my opinion

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

Now that you mention it I does remind me of the SDB with the wing shape and the really pointy nose.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
In fact it even looks like there is a "pod" on the bottom of it. Wonder if John Lear has seen these photos. The pod theory is part of his hologram theory. Now, as I have already had a go around with him, and do not agree with the no plane theory, its just an observation.

I was there that day. I was outside, not inside, when the attacks took place. Did not see the first plane, did hear the explosion. I heard the other plane approach and saw it between buildings before it hit tower 2 (or 1, depending on how you look at it). No one, and I mean no one, will ever change my mind about what I saw that day.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst
Looks like a flying missle!

As opposed to which other type? The sort that makes use of the public transport system?

I'm sorry- it's late.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

Not sure which photo your saying looks like it has a pod under it. the only one you can see the bottom of it shows the promonet placement of the intake.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
From quickly looking at the links given I get the idea that this is still really a recon UCAV, am I right? Or is this just a test bed for the technology?

I say that because the dimensions to me suggest it could carry one small missile - possibly two, IMO the best position would be on top along the back, but would the missile exhaust be too much for the little aircraft?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

This is actually a test bed for tech that is being considered to extend the mission range and loiter for the hunter killer UCAV. The skunkworks folding wing is also an example of a competitor in test tech for the best option to extend the time on target etc. As for carrying anything this test bed really isn't built for that as its just testing the possiblity of the morphing ability of the UAV.

new topics

top topics

join