It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbledore was G-A-Y!! Shock Horror!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
JK has herself outted the long dead head of Hoggwortts school!

This explains him inviting boys up to his office and having a big bowl of sweets, although there was no mention in the books of him being a catholic minister!!

Dumbledore is gay!

Then she goes on to say

She said she regarded her novels as a "prolonged argument for tolerance" and urged her fans to "question authority".

But she added that not everyone likes her work. Christian groups have alleged the books promote witchcraft. The author said her revelation about Dumbledore would give them one more reason.

So is this self promotion or an honest literary confession?

MonKey.

P.S. I still like the books either way, and wish I had a teacher half as good as Dumbledore!

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
this is dumb

it never once says or hints in the book dumbledore is gay

she can say whatever she wants to now that the books are done

dumbledore was a reptilian

or

dumbledore was a android

dumb

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The Phantom

Your right it is dumb. I didn't get any kind of a gay vibe from the books and after living in Brighton (UK) for a few years my Gaydar is pretty good.

maybe there is some kind of a "Keep me in the closet charm" that was undisclosed in the books!!

MonKey

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Ehh i dont know why she wuold want Dumbledore to be gay. Not that i am against gay people or anything, but it just gives more reasons for those people who think its bad another one.

Personally, it doesnt really change my opinion about the book, just adds a weird little twist, thats oh so close to reality in todays terms.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Well, looking back at the books, and I have read them all multiple times, in order and yes, I could see Dumby as a gay man. I think the whole time he spent with Grundwald (?) and his obsession during that time in his life is underscored with a "more than just a respected collegue" kinda vibe, ya know? In the first book, during the Christmas feast, Dumbly wears a flowered sunbonnet proudly!

AND

I'm cool with JKR putting a gay man in charge of the education of children. "Gay", "homosexual", whatever, of course does NOT mean "Child molester" and JKR puts a nice, quiet emphasis on that fact with her admission. Kudos. She portrayed Dumbledore as a very wise educator who kept his personal life, personal. If only people learned that lesson so easily.

My $.02
Cuhail

JbT

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Its a smart PR stunt to sell more books.

Now some people who didnt read the storys, will go out and buy one ore two to see for theirself if the "conspiracy" is for real in their view.

Smart, kind of.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I agree with most in that's it's just a ploy to sell more books. Not that I would mind in the least for Dumbledore to be gay, but there was no mention whatsoever of him being gay. She could come out and say anything she wants now that they're all completed. "Well, it was all just a dream. Snape was an undercover NYPD agent. I am Mcgonegal." We're supposed to interpret books however we see fit.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I only have seen bits of the movies and never read a page of the books but.... dumbledore?!?!? thats the last person (and i am watching from a distance) that i would have ever thought would be 'the gay one'.

And if there is no mention or even insinuation that he is gay, then why even bother? I just don't understand the whole thing.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I don't think its a ploy. I always just thought of it as she wrote the character Dumbledore and when she just imagined him, she just thought of him as gay, like when you read a book and think of a character as shallow or stuck up, its not actually written any where that they are shallow or anything but thats just how you picture them, I always thought thats what it was like Dumbledore.

But I could be wrong, this is just my interpretation of the situation.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It seems hard to believe that someone would spend so much time and effort on what turns out to be just a prank.

Oh, yeah. Money.

The author really trivialized her entire effort and confirmed what her Christian critics claimed all along.

As it turned out her goal all along was to poison the minds of the young.

I think she insured that nothing will be remembered about her books except the "shocking" ending.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

BINGO!!!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I've just watched film No5 again on VCD and now that I know Dumble is gay, the character just dosen't seem right!

Maybe in the next film they could get Eddie Izzard, that would spice things up a touch!

MonKey

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am surprised I haven't seen any backlash for "killing" a gay character.

I personally found the two HP books I read AWFUL (hey, I tried, they just sucked.) and I can't wait until the "fad" is COMPLETELY gone.

There really is a TON of better literature out there, even for children.

The "Abarat" books by Clive Barker come to mind. And HEY! he's gay, so that should suit everyone hahahhaaha.

Jasn

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Wow Grady, that's sad. You won't read a book because a character is gay. Again, sad. I started reading when my niece asked me to and while I was at first a critic, little kids book, why waste time, but after reading it I liked the series. Action, humor, drama, and even better it riles up the idiots, er, Christians. Anything to piss them off. Kind of like rooting for Jeff Gordon to win just because I know it pisses everyone else off when he does.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
This explains him inviting boys up to his office and having a big bowl of sweets, although there was no mention in the books of him being a catholic minister!!

I seriously hope you're kidding. The idea that being gay also makes someone a child molestor is not only ignorant on a sickening level, it opens up a socially retarded set of assumptions. If it is assumed a gay man is automatically going to go after little boys, then it must logically be assumed a straight man is going to go after little girls. Is that your perogative? Is that the point you wish to get across? If not, I suggest you keep this ridiculous line of assumption to yourself.

You don't have to "like" gay people, many of whom are members of ATS, but to automatically default them with one of society's worst imaginable crimes is facism at it's worst. I'm going to give you the chance to do the mature thing and apologize to your fellow ATS members before I close and delete this thread.

And for the record, Eddie Izzard isn't gay. He's a transvestite. Or, as he likes to say, an Executive Transvestite.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

I'm pretty sure it was a joke. But your points are true. I think closing the thread is a bit over the top though. Your logical and succinct post should be enough to put him in his place, but what do I know.

As for the topic at hand, if he is gay, it certainly would explain his extremely close relationship with Hagrid. He's probably into bears.
I kid, I kid.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

Fill your boots mate!

I have a lot of respect for the owners, mods and membership of ATS, BTS and AP.

That being said. I'm a grown man. I really don't take kindly to cheap threats. Your point of view is completely understood. Even the rather aggressive manner in which you put it forward.

The thread has been up for well over a month and no other member has complained.

Or have they?

Is this the SOP for dealing with complaints, or is this little gem all your own work?

If it has to go, it has to go. Such is life.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It wasn't a cheap threat. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not you intended your comment as a joke. Because the remainder of the thread doesn't seem to continue gay-bashing, it's actually in question. Otherwise, I'd have already closed the thread and given you a warn.

You've been a member here for long enough to realize we have all types here, and that sometimes messages get skewed because we only read text, and not body language into a post. The reason I am asking you to apologize is more for your own edification. ATS is all about denying ignorance. If you want people to assume you are one who ignorantly thinks gay = pedo, then that is your choice, but I cannot allow insults towards membership to go unchallenged.

That is why I ask again, less aggressively this time. These lines are not always clear, nor is the proper response always readily obvious. A grown man you may be, but that does not give you the right to automatically paint a significant portion of our membership as sex criminals in your posts. If you were kidding, it was a joke in bad taste and I can let it slide, and you might want to be more aware of this in the future. If you weren't kidding, then you need to be aware that those kind of statements aren't acceptable, and you'll need to keep a libelous opinion like that to yourself.

Regardless, I am glad you see the point, and I apologize if I came across as threatening you. I have a job to do here, and it's not always easy. If I didn't actually care about your response, I wouldn't have asked in the first place, I'd have just proverbially "shot first" and then asked questions later.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
To the membership.

If anyone that read my initial post in this thread and didn't take it as being written with my tongue firmly in my cheek, then I am indeed truly sorry. I am fully aware that being gay makes you no more of a pedo than being a vegetarian makes you a tree hugging hippie.

Everyone here is indeed very different, which IMO makes BTS such a fun and interesting place to chill out.

To Thelibra

Nuff said!

MonKey

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
After reading the Harry Potter series several times, i didn't even begin to think Dumbledore was gay until after Rowling said he was. Also, i have several gay friends and they may well be the biggest anti pedophile people i know. where this is going i don't know, other than being gay doesn't mean you like kids just as much as liking a good steak doesn't mean that you like dog fights. I still thought that the Harry Potter series was a great bunch of books.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join