It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion=Cult

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I was wondering what the difference between a religion and a cult is. To me it just seems that a religion is a worldwide cult. And if there aren't really any differences then why does religion seem to hate cults so much and call them "evil" and say that they brainwash people. But then again isn't religion brainwashing people too? It seems that religion is just a form of mind control and they get defensive whenever something new comes along. "Whatever goes against our beliefs is the work of the devil" its the Christian way. Anyway your thoughts are appreciated

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I completely agree. However, the established religions tend to get upset if anyone calls them a cult -- I believe the only real difference is in number of worshipers. Some people split hairs and say that cults are dangerous. I personally think it's all dangerous in each its own way. I often say, "It's all cults to me."

Christianity was a cult in Rome. Each of the old pagan deities had its own cult, and then it wasn't a bad word. Mormonism is a cult to some. Then there are the cargo cults. At least they had some real evidence that "cargo" came from somewhere else!

Wiki on cults

Legalese quibbling about what defines a religion

If you Google "difference between a cult and a religion" you'll find all sorts of answers, ranging from how they obtain their money, to simply operating outside mainstream society.

It's all splitting hairs. Religions are the ones that are "officially" recognized and accepted by mainstream society and cults are the ones that are not. And that's the only real difference.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Well there is a truth to all religons pretty much started out as cults. But for the most part it comes down to how many people are following it at any given time. And it isnt necessarily a bad thing to being a cult. Technically a cult religon would be anyhting out of the mainstream. The word has a certain stigma to it related to the many cults that have led their followers to many tragic ends, such as the end of the world cults in the 1900's, Jim Jones, and Heaven's Gate to name a few.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
They're all by definition a cult...in texts we often refer to mainstream beliefs in the past as cults and myths, well for some of us, those terms as still applied to the beliefs of society today.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I remember reading somewhere, everything has cult like tendencies to it beit a religion all the way down to your child's Little League team. That being said...

This past year, when I was in college, we took a class about World Religions. From the Christian point of view, a religion becomes a cult once teachings about Christ and who he is become distorted. The cult also has to break away from a mainline Christian branch. So, technically, in Christian circles, Islam and Hinduism wouldn't be considered cults because they didn't break away from Christianity. Hopefully you understand!

Shalom
Tom

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Text GreenBeen a while since i've posted...but let's see if i can add anything of interest.

Cult/Religion are interchangeable "words" used to describe a group of people worshiping a "diety" of some kind...since all of us are gods in our own right..."worship" seems to be the word that defines what leads to Cultism/Religion.

There is a BIG difference, however, when one chooses to have "beliefs" that they do not push on anyone else. When these people come together, they are able to share one common knowledge that has always been known to them, without question...no money is solicited or suggested for these meetings (for all knowledge is free for the taking, if one is "awake") but donations are not turned down, if offered from the heart.

Organized religions are all accepted, as everyone must walk their own path...but it is also known that they are ruled by a few with power. It is when the power is delegated and responsibility is taken equally for this power that a belief is no longer a religion or a cult...but becomes common knowledge of what is universally remembered and endowed upon us by our Creator.

~peace, love and light~Text Green

[edit on 15-10-2007 by Oracle]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
they are one and the same. the major religions have just added a negative connotation to the word "cult" and used it to describe anything that deviated from their beliefs. i have a point to make to close this up but i lack the ambition to sum it up concisely enough to make it worthwhile. =)

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingwoody

You should buy a short book, The Broken God. It gives very clear earmarks of a cult. It was written by someone who came out of the Jim Jones cult. As I recall, cults create isolation from everyone and stress only the leader knows God's will, he must be obeyed. They misuse time and make members too busy to consider the larger picture. They work on guilt and fear and they make the person feel he must work for the cause or everything negative will be his fault.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The cult of humanity. A mad, mad, construction.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It seems to me that any group of religious people who are extremely devout to their faith...no matter what religion they are from...will appear to be a cult. This is because people who are very devout and very spiritual tend to hold themselves to a higher moral standard...thus making them somewhat different from the rest of the world. There is really nothing wrong with that. And it certainly does NOT make them dangerous in a Jim Jones sort of way. Just because someone is extremely religious does not mean they are in a cult. Although it may appear that way to nonreligious people.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
i think they are the same thing. When religon started off it waz a cult. People these days dont think its a cult but it is. it has certain believes and things to live by. The exact same as a cult

[edit on 16-10-2007 by kevkevkev]

top topics

join