It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-American racism and why is it ignored?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Biased In Favor Of Neutrality

Be sure to see the companion thread.

In lieu of the usual sort of interminable polysyllabic diatribe I'm notorious for, I'll just say that if you see any violations of the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, please let us know by hitting the ALERT button below the offending post.

Each moderator is a human being and has their own opinions and biases, but when it comes to enforcing the T&C, we keep an eye on each other to ensure we're being fair.

Also, a surprisingly large percentage of our mods aren't Americans, but Canadians.

So don't talk smack about Canada.

[edit on 10/10/2007 by Majic]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Oh relax im just kidding, as a matter of fact I especially love the British, When I was in the U.S. Marines we and the British Royal Marines have an exchange program where a handful of us would go live and train with them in the U.K and vise versa. The U.S Marines and the British Marines have very close ties, we consider each other brothers, which in many ways we are.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
well then lets test the waters here:

i feel that brits are ridiculous and a bunch of sheeple for letting their government take away their right to bear arms and they all have bad teeth and are inbred. they also have gotten booted out of every country they have invaded so they are like angry monkeys attacking the u.s. every chance they get.

(lets see how long that goes before it is edited or erased)

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I dont and have never had a problem with the British..If I was alive 260 years ago then I would have a big problem with them, but seeing how times have changed they are the best of allis with the U.S.. That does suck how they cant protect themselves with guns, look what happend in 28 days later...If they had guns they would have had a chance aginst the infected.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tac109

So why the deliberate attempt to bait an aggresive reply?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by icybreeze

Wow, you openly admit to posting something deliberately designed to anger a section of ats membership just to see how the mods re-act.

Obviously with more integrity than you.

You are proving yourself to be a true asset to the ats community.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Crikey! a counter thread!

Fact is this - we're all entitled to our own opinions, right?

There are people from every country who believe that they and their compatriots can do no wrong. Sadly they are deluded.

ATS is - I do believe - an intenational board but the majority of its membership is from the USA and as such there is an increased chance that you are going to see things that you, as a person from another country, don't agree with.

The answer is education, and the denial of ignorance.

Thats what the board is about, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

jst a little humor mate! lighten up a bit your jockeys will interfere with your breathing when theyre cinched up that tight.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by icybreeze

Me lighten up, if I was anymore laid back I'd fall over.

I just don't appreciate members deliberately baiting other members into a mud slinging match in an effort to prove an unrelated point.
That's pretty crappy in my book.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Trench Warfare

Looks like I missed out on some drama while I was away.

*cough*

Aaaanyway, getting back to the topic, I realize that newer members might not be aware that us mods also share some of the frustration surrounding the expression of bigotry in our forums, and that dealing with it is not necessarily a simple matter.

The Law of Unintended Consequences applies to this issue as it does to all others.

Paved With Good Intentions

For those who missed it the first time around, I suggest reading the following cautionary tale of what happens when a mod attempts -- with the noblest of motives, mind you -- to combat bigotry through creative interpretation of the terms & conditions, but ends up being taught some valuable lessons about tolerance and restraint from his fellow members:

Deny Bigotry

If you don't want to wade through all that, the takeaway (for me, anyway), is that moderators in a community like ours always walk a fine line between over-moderating and under-moderating discussions, and that seeking to enforce too many "community standards" can do more harm than good.

The Pearl Of Great Price

My own philosophy as a mod is that when in doubt, the benefit of the doubt should always favor the members.

The result is that we may not always like what other members have to say, but at least they get a chance to say it.

When confronted with opinions you find offensive, I think the best way to deal with them is by offering a calm, reasoned rebuttal.

Though the success rate for this approach may seem agonizingly minute, the rewards are plentiful and impossible to overstate on those rare occasions when you are actually able to Deny Ignorance.

[edit on 10/11/2007 by Majic]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
wow..two warning tags from 2 different mods for the same single post...is that fair?
anyway i apologize for the post i didn't intend for it to be taken as baiting i was just doing an experiment.
cheerio

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I must say boy.....just the opposite. I am on the site quite often during the day (at work....shhhhhh!). I see just the opposite. I get aboused for being an American on here. Maybe its just the threads you visit. I enter all kinds of threads and if I speak my mind, they see I am from USA....bang They see I am from NY.....bang bang. They see I am pro USA....bang bang bang, followed by a right, a left and an upper cut.

I have received many knock out blows, but I take it in stride, get up again, dust myself off and continue the good fight. The one thing I don;t do is go run to the moderators everytime I am offended. They have more inportant things to do then make sure MY feeling don't get hurt. If you don;t like whats posted on a thread, stop reading it.

By the way...my country is better than yours. sorry could not refuse the cheap shot....

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The fact is that there are arseholes in every country it just so happpen that due to population differences that there are a lot more arseholes in America so therefore you will get a lot more arsholic remarks from americans than anyone else. Not that I am dissing america or americans because when I lived in the Netherlands for a few years the only nation of people that really pissed me off and got in my face were British and more so the Scots and I consider myself Scottish.

So it only goes to show that there are arseholes everywhere who think that there views are the norm.

G

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well don't get me STARTED on what's wrong with Americans!!!

Only kidding. Personally I couldn't care less where people are from. I treat anyone I meet in RL or on ATS as an individual who just happens to come from wherever. Frankly I don't really see the big deal about the problems with America.
However I will say this, in my experience (meaning my DIRECT encounters with some Americans) I have met racists, egotists, ignoramuses, Jerry Springer and a whole lot of other bad ambassadors from across the pond.
However I have also met funny, clever, humble Americans who are a credit to your nation. Personally I would much rather sit down with an American who doesn't drone on and on about how good America is and is willing to speak about the weather, or food, or what was on TV last night.

If you have a problem with the Bush administration fellow members, don't suddenly come out with genius quotes like "I hate America for electing George Bush!" We all know he cheated his way into the Oval Office and Al Gore should've won... although I don't know what happened the 2nd time.
DOWN WITH BUSH, UP WITH FREE AMERICA!

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades
Al Gore should've won... although I don't know what happened the 2nd time.

Electronic voting machines happened. I blame Siebold.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Haha, lobster! Watch out I might get you with my claws

I suppose it is better than septic though

Come on guys, lets get along and enjoy our freedom of speech

How does that song go......

It aint where you are from, its where you are at

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

Originally posted by JackofBlades
Al Gore should've won... although I don't know what happened the 2nd time.

Electronic voting machines happened. I blame Siebold.

Don't blame some poor guy named Siebold, the name of the manufacturer was Diebold.

By the way. A lot of the people deserve the blame for not being competent enough to read instructions. I, however, think the whole election process worked, and GW was the winner.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join