It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A speculative school conspiracy theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I was just wondering if there might be a conspiracy against the youth today involving the school start time. It is proven that teen's "internal clocks" are set differently so that they don't really 'wake up' until around 11 in the morning and can't really go to sleep until after midnight. So I was wondering if maybe school start times are so early (a little after 7 where I live) so that the youth won't be as perceptive as they can be and will be more willing to just accept what is told and won't be able to think as clearly so they won't question the misleadings in the government.

Also, (just a thought), I was thinking that maybe the government might get some profit off of coffee sales. By having younger people wake up earlier they would then start drinking coffee earlier and thus get addicted which would then increase sales. All for the evil of starbucks

Anyway all opinions are welcome. Just looking for other's thoughts

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The area where I'm from has high school and elementary school start just after 7 so that parents can drop there kids off at elementary schools so that they don't have to wait in the dark for the bus and high school starts early so that those who do sports can do them (and work if they have to) without coming home at eight or nine and be able to have dinner and do do homework. Middle school starts at like 9:45 but they don't do sports for the school in my school district.

Tom

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Interesting theory, however, think of school like a full-time job for students. I know I would love to sleep in everyday, but I would hate having school from 12:00pm until about 8:00pm, because it really gives you no time to do much. Where as getting off around 3, you have enough time to go home to do some homework, after that play with friends, and after that get in some TV time before falling asleep.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that the basic premise that this thread is based on, is slightly flawed. Young people can certainly go to sleep by midnight, quite easily. And can be wide awake well before 11am. However, when they do stay up past midnight, and are rushed out of bed in the morning to make it to class on time, it is no doubt that they are lacking the required REM sleep. Without the proper amount, the brain can not function 100%.

If more of an effort was made to make it to bed at a better hour, getting up in the morning wouldn't be as difficult.

Albeit quite difficult at first, to turn our clock back a few hours. It can be done if our schedule were better reflected for school hours, on a more consistent basis.

Schools themselves operate on the hours they do, as it is most convenient for young people to live a normal, and social life. Nothing is gained by sleeping until noon. And if we were to, we'd be in school until late in the evening.

The normal work schedule for people is a 9-5pm job. Our school routine is programming people to operate on this schedule, so they can work efficiently in the work force.

Now don't look at me as an old foggy who is retired and gets to sleep all day. I'm one of those that needs to wake his ass up in the morning and drag himself in for a 9am class. I just know that it's only as tough as it is some mornings, because I didn't get to sleep at the appropriate time. And nobody is to blame but myself.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I agree that it is possible to adjust ourselves if we condition our bodies to work that way but I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about the melatonin levels in teens being different or something which is why I said that our internal clocks work differently.

And I also forgot to mention that if you want to get to class on time you pretty much have to get to school at around 6:45 or else you get stuck in traffic. At least that's how it is in my area.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I agree with chissler. If those students in high school just took the time to go to bed earlier, they'd be fine. I remember when I was in high school and track season rolled around, I would have to be at school at 5am to lift weights and such, since I threw shot and discus. I always made it a point to get to be with enough time to get the amount of sleep I needed. I rode my bike to school sometimes as well. For school I was fine

A thought just came to my mind too. I wrestled in high school and at times I would have to get to school really early so we could traverse the interstate to get to tournaments on the weekends. When ever I slept enough I was good to go all day.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

It's an interesting thought that school start times could be a conspiracy but I think that when it boils down it loses some weight just because of all the other factors that revolve around it.

Tom

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
this is certainly an interesting and original conspiracy theory.

but I agree with the others. it's just one of those things. not a conspiracy so far as I can tell.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Nice observation.

School starts at 6:30 where im at (Philadelphia)

Its so true that teen brains are pretty much down until around noon but i dont think its a conspiracy. Still its unfortunate that teens spend learning time pretty much when their minds are turned off. I will say this though....

History class was always really weird. A lot of stuff sounded odd. Now that i think about it...most of the stuff in history text books are misleading. Thanks to our government.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingwoody

flyingwoody,

No, it's not part of a conspiracy to make teenagers get up before noon. I would suggest you force yourself to put down your Halo 3 game by 11 o'clock and if you really need to, use the old thermometer and light bulb trick in the morning and say you're sick.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Of course, the time is total manipulation.They want to have control over you at all times even something as simple as School start time.They destroy the world with control, it begins at the schools.I believe in sending kids to school at about 9am till no later than 2:30. I don't want my Kids life ruled by the pedophile admin cameras in the bathroom scumbag school systems, its more like a septic system really.Puke!!!!!!Good thread though!

[edit on 11-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
well i would explain my time in "high" school but it would probably get me in trouble with ATS. Suffice it to say, I was not stupid, in fact a lot of the local harrassment I got from cops at the time was because I vocally promoted legalisation and the fact the sytem was a sham, in 1997..so technically I was with alex jones at 17-18 before i had heard of him. All I wanted was to get the drug war ended, and posted multiple postings about cannabis on the walls. Suffice it to say they didn't like it. One day walking home, i get beat up, all while this fat skinhead cop sat watching from his car, didnt even try to stop it. The sick thing was it was right by the road. Which could have gotten us ran over. So schools do engage in conspiracy. because those running them are dirty marmaset monkeys.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
the circadian rhythm (biological clock) has been linked to a location in the brain known as the suprachiasmatic nucleus in the hypothalamus. it is more dependant on the light/dark schedule of the 24 hour day, and proteins in the brain than serotonin and other neurotransmitters.
although sleep itself is dependant on serotonin. serotonin, in teens, plays a larger role in depression, which will either lengthen or shorten what ones body thinks it need in sleep.
add in pressures from all around and you got yourself one depressed person.

i think there may be more in saying that society is creating a bunch of depressed people so that they can be herded into going on SSRI's (zoloft,prozac).

"a gramme in time saves nine"
-a quote from Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, referring to the chemical SOMA which is the drug of choice for a futuristic distopia.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I dont think teens brains are wired to be on a different schedule then adults. Its all about habit and putting oneself on a schedule. That is up to the parents.

I am far from a teenager, and I am a nite owl. I would prefer to stay up really late and sleep in. This is just how I am. However, being a mother, I am not afforded that. Even as an employee and a student, im not afforded that. I have to choose to set myself on a proper schedule in order for me to wake up and function normally thruout the day.

I believe that people (kids too) are more alert in the mornings, then in the afternoons. I know my daughter is. Mornings are the best time to take her out on errands, teach her, etc etc.

I also agree withe pp who said that it is preparing them for a real world schedule - work schedule.

I dont see any conspiracy in this at all.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
In high school, we started at 8:45 which isn't to early. I know that I wish I could be back in high school though. My body can't sleep 4 hours and keep going all day everyday. I don't know about the clock thing, I've heard that theory before, but its really just conditioning yourself to get up at a certain time. I hate going to bed at like 11 or 11:30 so I can stay awake during the classes I pay to take, but it's what I gotta do if I want to succeed. I'm only 23 and I have to get my beauty sleep, wish I could have that weird "internal" clock back again.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
When my kids were in high school they usually went to bed before 10:00 and didn't have much trouble getting up to get to school.

They both played sports. I always was a firm believer in the healthy mind healthy body theory of raising kids.

I don't think there is any conspiracy with regard to school. It's just the time that most people get up and get going in the morning so mom and/or dad can help get the kids to school.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I think it's also a dose of reality, the real world, however you want to put it. Business doesn't start at 11, wish it did but it don't.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I have a very hard time getting to sleep until very late, and then have problems waking up early in the morning... However I think it's true however that they get us up early so they can let us out earlier in the afternoon.
Sleep patterns I think are based on your environment and your lifestyle more than anything; I tend to enjoy staying up late more anyway and there are times when I sleep in to 12 on weekends.

Frankly, I don't think there is some kind of coffee selling conspiracy.

[edit on 16-10-2007 by Catfish]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Sorry for the double post... mods delete this please!

[edit on 16-10-2007 by Catfish]

new topics

top topics

join