It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The censorship on ATS is strange at times...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by icybreeze

Credit cards are not universal. Some people chose not to be bound up by plastic.Some people live in places where credit cards are not used as much as in the US and UK.

ATS seems to be aware that a pay site could be the start of a road to elitism and a declining membership.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by icybreeze
i am interested to know why they allow minors to join this site?

Because otherwise user "infinite" here above would not be able post here and then he would scream all the way to bed time!

(That was totally unessecary, I know, but the road was already paved and reday to be driven, I hope you understand that).

And about the "supreme right" or whatever was written, I think I can post whatever I want, where- and whenever as well. Do you have the supreme right to prevent me from doing that? No. If you so utterly dispise my thread you are free to leave it be. If you intend to stay, be my guest.

@Reliance:
Well, at least someone here seems to get my point. And yes, the flame-fests would probably look, observe: look, alot worse but they would still be flame-fests.

Pretend that the auto-censor did not exist. I write that "such actions are f-ing absurd and sick!" for some reason, let's say the massacre in Myanmar. No one would care. They would probably just think; "yeah, that is f-ed up alright..." Or when discussed the current situation in down town Bagdad and refer to it as "sh.." beacuse that is what it's like, at least at times. No one would mind, they know it's sh..
Maybe sometimes the use of profanity is nessecary to get your point proven, when you are very, very upset and you can't stress enough how angry/sad/pissed you are. You don't want to use proper english because it takes the edge of your frustration and anger, and you have to admit that those are two major emotions behind many, many threads on ATS.
But if someone goes out of line and starts sereiously demeaning and insulting one specific person, that is a completely different issue. That is haressement, and that is not tolerated anywhere.

The ban remains silly. It's just common hysteria.
One word to counter that: relax.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Plus, this site is one of the best moderated on the internet.
Younger members are well looked after on ATS, i.e why offensive words and topics are censored

correct, but do the moderators monitor U2U's? because that is probably how the pervs can communicate with the kids secretly.
I don't know, it ould seem to me that the risk for the kids far outweighs their input to ATS. but hey who am i? just one of the 80k willig to pay 5 bucks a month to keep young ones out and trolls from trolling (well worth it in my book) and just think of the revenue!!! maybe you should pass this idea on tpo the big wigs hu? you can take the credit g'ahead i don't mind.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It also come down to the fact, Personally for me,

I have often showed some of the topics here on ATS to school teachers that I know well to help in there class research,

Example: I was chatting to a teacher who was doing a school debate, and he wanted his class to debate the moon landings,

1 team had to look at the evidence to support the moon landing and the other was to argue that it was a fake,

In order to do this he needed to have the kids look at the different theory's surrounding the subject. Of course being here on ATS I was like AH HA! I have the perfect threads for you, and opinions and research gathered from many members all over the world,

I was proud that he was able to use many moon landing threads, Proud at what our members here on ATS had produced, And proud that I could hand over this work and know it was at a level and standard that we on ATS are proud to hold up.

Do you really think a school would have allowed the kids to read through pages of colourful words? I think not,

Swear words get us know where and they lesson the post for that person,
If as much effort was put in to finding a more appropriate word then Gosh we would have some fab posts!

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by icybreeze
correct, but do the moderators monitor U2U's? because that is probably how the pervs can communicate with the kids secretly.

I doubt "pervs" are on ATS, if you recieve bad U2U's forward it to a mod. That's what others do (including myself)

I don't know, it ould seem to me that the risk for the kids far outweighs their input to ATS. but hey who am i? just one of the 80k willig to pay 5 bucks a month to keep young ones out and trolls from trolling (well worth it in my book) and just think of the revenue!!! maybe you should pass this idea on tpo the big wigs hu? you can take the credit g'ahead i don't mind.

The owners have stated that ATS will always be free to use and no membership charge will be introduced.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The day they start charging $$ to use this site is the day a lot of people (me included) wont use it anymore, out of principle...

The idea that most parts of the site are completely "free", and you have to earn the right to use other parts of site thru contribution is a great model, and should always be that way IMO...

It works nicely, it ain't broke, leave it alone...

If you want to pay to be able to cuss or keep minors out or whatever, there are a ton of sites out there that can cater for your desires

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Yep, 1000% spot on, Asala !

The fact we can get some of the stuff here out to the mainstream like that is a true testament to the site and everyone on it...From staff to members...

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Well, the N-word is a different chapter. It is for different occations and it has one specific purpose; to insult one isolated type of human beings. It has a different history. It's not really a curse/profanity, it's an insult. A grave one.

Thanks for the word on my posts. English is not my first language either!

I refuse to use those smileys if I try to be sereious. If I would for some reason want to express my inmost contempt for someone who, lets say executed monks, raped minors or dismembered children, I would not use a animated smiley. It would seem a bit ironic for some strange reason.

I don't think that the policies of ATS regarding profanity will change, but I would like to have this debate, and guess what? I've got it!

Profanity, in general, when used with correct timing and extent is good. They are words like any other word. The same goes for all expressions.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

Your posts truly have been fantastic Raud, even more so english is not your first language...You and the others provided a great link for ATS to what was going in on Myanmar

Sure its ok to debate the T&C if you feel strongly about it in the right way...But when you cool down and take a good look at it, to change that part of the T&C the minuses would fair outweigh any benefits by a big margin, IMO...

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Do you really think a school would have allowed the kids to read through pages of colourful words? I think not,

What the hell, I just tried to explain that! There is not nor will it be some avalanche of profanity on ATS. How often do you see those #-marks? Not too often. Most of the stuff here is sereious threads and posts. I am talking about having the option! You are talking about it like those who say "if we let the immigrants in, they will take over everything" or "if we legalize this substance, everyone will start using it". That is exactly what I tried to explain earlier, but maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.

So. [exhale] Not upset anymore. I'm cool now. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I doubt "pervs" are on ATS, (including myself)

I would beg to differ on this one, you are truly a kind hearted soul to elieve that out of 80THOUSAND people, not one is a perv??? if you look at world statistics, about 10% of the male population is gay, 76% of the child molestation cases against boys have been by gay men. using this model that means that 8000 ATS members are gay and 76%=2000 pervs amongst us (approximately)

we'll just agree to disagree here i guess.

The owners have stated that ATS will always be free to use and no membership charge will be introduced.

too bad, it would keep out the riff raff and leave those of us that truly want to investigate and further ATS to higher ground. oh well.

www.cbn.com...

www.catholicculture.org...

mod edit, to add links per member request.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
I am talking about having the option!

There will be no option to which you allude.

Here is the deal...simple as ABC.
Terms And Conditions Of Use.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by icybreeze

I truly hope you're joking about what you have just posted...You think a credit card is going to keep "riff raff", perverts, child molesters and so on out of ANY web site ?

If so, you a're quite mistaken....

Anyways, this thread is about the T&C of ATS with regard to using profanity in posts...What you've posted here is so far off topic it ain't funny...

I suggest, if you want to continue to debate what you've just posted, please start your own thread and people can go from there...

Otherwise, if you are going to post to this thread, keep it on topic

Thanks

EDIT-- spelling/grammar

[edit on 7-10-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The reason has always been clear:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join