It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother Britain: Government and councils to spy on ALL our phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Big Brother Britain: Government and councils to spy on ALL our phones

www.dailymail.co.uk

Officials from the top of Government to lowly council officers will be given unprecedented powers to access details of every phone call in Britain under laws coming into force tomorrow.

Records will detail precisely what calls are made, their time and duration, and the name and address of the registered user of the phone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 30-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I am too stunned to even make a comment on this ....

The Internet will be next, the land of the free!

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I am a bit stunned too. This is the second piece of legislation to come in in the past few months where i have thought...wow, i didnt even know they were CONSIDERING that. The first being the one about registering all details of all children:

Registration Fears

And now this. It seems that these things are being slipped in without anyone really noticing. I have just checked BBC and the Guardian and i can't find this news anywhere on their sites. I have also checked some government websites and cant find anything either.

I dont like the daily mail, but i cant see them making something like this up.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Lol at least Britian just comes out and says it like it is.In the U.S. they sugar it up with terrorism and all that goodness.Oh only terrorists phones,oh we got caught,ok only poeple who call outside the U.S. riiiiiight.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Yep, watched Hamilton win the Grand Prix, went to buy The Mail on Sunday and have just read it.
I'm seriously thinking of investing in a couple of tin cans and a very big ball of string.
How is this government ever going to be replaced if opposition MP's don't do what we pay them for.
So it passed quietly through the Upper House - somebody drug their whisky?

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
to Project Silo

Yeah, that should make us all feel better

The worrying thing about this, is that now when i read stuff like this, i have a little voice in my head saying...."but is it REALLY that bad, it's not like they'll be snooping on YOU"

edit: to make it clear who i was addressing

[edit on 30-9-2007 by geek101]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TommyCrown
Yep, watched Hamilton win the Grand Prix, went to buy The Mail on Sunday and have just read it.

As someone who is obviously in the UK, i have to ask....did YOU hear about this? I didnt even know that it was being planned. Apparently up until now, it has been a voluntary thing...with companies sometimes handing over records, but now, it's compulsory.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by geek101

Actually, as a regular reader of said newspaper, their political stuff isn't that far off the mark.

I'm starting to get 'Gene Hackman moments', foil crisp packets and all that.

No, I didn't know about it, but this Government is always 'slipping' things through.
Be it on a Friday when most MPs have left Parliament, or trying to tag it on another piece of legislation bearing no resemblance, or at a quiet time late in the evening.

Did you watch Dispatches with Peter Oborne entitled 'Nice work if you can get it' - very interesting example of two different pieces of legislation trying to pass as one.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Really nothing new in this. Denmark past semilar law that took effect a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing but dictates from Washington.

Beside they've been doing it since it was technically possible, i.e. from the mid-90s on.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

exactly, but noone believed anyone raising such concerns, right?

'cause they were all paranoid and delusional, right?

even if i come across as heartless, but the willful 'see-no-evil', 'defend-anything-as-long-as-it's-about-security' crowd can take a long, quick walk off a very short pier.

[edit on 4.10.2007 by Long Lance]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I remember from the days of analogs, that Telecom France had miles of racks with taperecorders, recording every call made in France. Heard it on a radio program sometime in the eighties.

Also told about the trans-atlantic cable, that it had tape stations connected submerged, that would beam the contents triggered by certain keywords.

No, they just pass this legislation now, so it can be used in a court of law without hanky-panky.

top topics

join