It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parallel universes really do exist, according to a mathematical discovery

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Parallel universes really do exist, according to a mathematical discovery by Oxford scientists described by one expert as "one of the most important developments in the history of science".

In Everett's "many worlds" universe, every time a new physical possibility is explored, the universe splits. Given a number of possible alternative outcomes, each one is played out - in its own universe.

Commenting in New Scientist magazine, Dr Andy Albrecht, a physicist at the University of California at Davis, said: "This work will go down as one of the most important developments in the history of science."

link

It boggles my mind to think about this. Do we really exist in many parallel universes simutanously? Is it possible to ever gain awareness of these simultaneous existences? What does it all mean?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
So in a parallel universe, I really did do all the things i have only thought of doing in this life.

Intense stuff.....makes you wonder if the other parallels are "aware" of us.....leads to many theorys such as aliens, ghosts, etc.

This will be interesting to watch....

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It was posted by someone else earlier. Its pretty much beyond our linear understanding, so I dont even try to understand it...

The string theory says there is 10 dimensions + a time dimension as well, so...

Conclusion is basically: we dont know jack.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by aimlessly

It is mind boggling. Just think that for every person there is a parallel universe for every possible decision or action that can be taken by that individual person.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by etshrtslr

Do we "create" a reality by the simple act of observation?

All possible outcomes, all events ever.

Branching linear infinity...

Like overlapping ripples in a omni-dimensional pond.

This concept would lend mathematical credence to the John Titor story.

Hmmm...Is "dark matter" the immeasurable mass of all the infinite possibilities?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I did a search and came up with a thread from 2004 that presented a link, now broken, to a home test for parallel universes.

Intrigued, I googled up a new link to the mentioned test:

Psi Block: Home Test to Prove Parallel Universe

Looks like I'll have to wait until dark to try it out...that is, if I can find my laser pointer.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

The experiment in your link sounds alot like the double slit experiment with a few key differences.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by etshrtslr]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have always believed in a Multi-verse.

The Art Bell show years ago did a story of a child that went into there parents room and told them she could hear people speaking in her room. The parents investigated at first they didn't hear anything but when they went to a area between her bed and window sure enough they could hear several people speaking. They couldn't make out what they were saying. The next night they experienced this again, but the area effected seemed to move a few feet to the south west, sure enough this continue for a time don't remember how long, but they followed these sounds moving to the SW into the yard down there driveway going down there street every night for awhile.

This freaked me out, and IMHO it seemed like some sort of rip in space/time that moved...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Interesting...

The conscious act of observing changes the outcome of the event.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Very cool video, thanks for posting it. The coolest thing in the video is that the electron change behavior when its being watched. Thats quantum physics for you.

So yeah. We know nothing of this thing we call reality, which I personally feel is a humbling experience.

It also makes you wonder what else our consciousness can do. There are theories that its far more powerful than we realize, its just that we never explore it since we have stepped away from everything that cant be scientifically proven.

I think we will view this as a mistake in the future.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

It was posted by someone else earlier. Its pretty much beyond our linear understanding, so I dont even try to understand it...

The string theory says there is 10 dimensions + a time dimension as well, so...

Conclusion is basically: we dont know jack.

I actually have another theory, it's about string theory. String theory could be the dna of the universe, encoded in it is dna from other universes like ours. Hope that didn't sound stupid.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
An interesting paradox I haven't been able to come to a conclusion about regarding quantum computers, which operate on the principal that there are multiple universes. When you use a quantum computer, the qubits that make it up are in both a 1 and a 0 state at once. Once you measure what value you have, however, they collapse into either a 1 or a 0, and the qubit in the parallel universe takes on the opposite state. So in one universe, you get the right answer, and in another, you get the wrong answer. But you always get the right answer. Wierd. And as to the whole consciousness thing, I think it's a bit out there, and that there are better theories. My favorite is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, that when you measure something you affect it, so by measuring the spin state of an electron you collapse it's wave function because the act of measuring it created a force on it.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This is amazing, I wish I knew enough math to really understand it.

If there is a universe for every possibility then is there a universe where multiple universes don't exist?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
We may each inhabit our own universe, with the people around us only being shadows, or non-sentient copies of beings that live in their own universes.

In your universe you will live forever, become an anomoly, a god amongst men. All of those you know and even those you argued with here on ATS will die off and won't even be a memory. You, however, will never die, and become a living idol of a galaxy spanning civilization. I type this message in my universe, and you recieve it in yours. From your perspective I will die one day, but you shall not.

However, from my perspective all of you will be the memory.

Ever have deja vu? That's your universe being reprogrammed to artifically extend your life beyond the catastrophy that was meant to happen to you. In another universe, one you in fact branched off of, you died, and maybe I watched it happen.

Prove me wrong.

This has been my nonsensical post of the month. Please don't argue with me because I'm not going to defend this insanity. It's just something I thought of at this very moment when reading this parallel universes stuff and figured it sounded interesting enough to post. I'm pretty sure I originally theorized something like this when I was ten, especially the deja vu part.
Anyway, I'm going to bed, peace and chicken grease

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I have actually entertained ideas very similar to your nonsensical post, just as a what if sort of thing. And to Shadowflux, it's not a universe for every possibility, a seperate universe is spun off every time a particle is faced with a decision, ie, when a radioactive particle decays, there are a few possible ways for it to decay, so more universes are created so that it actually decayed in all possible ways, but only in one way in our universe.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
yes, yes! that is exactly how i try/sometimes see it. every one of you a character in my dream.

it really works for my mind with the whole "i am god/enlightened already" taught by ramana, eckhart tolle, gangaji and such.

i had an experience once when i suddenly realized/knew/remembered that it had been "me" all along. what a profound feeling that was. too bad it didn't last.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I've read on this time and time again, always amazing no matter how I think of it. One thing I was never clear on though, does every single tiny action split off or only major collective actions? In other words, lets say I put my hand infront of my face and give myself the choice to extend it to the right, the left, or the center, and I choose the center. Does that mean that two other parallel universes split off with the only difference in that point in time being which way I extended my arm? It seems like that would "overload" reality.
Unless it truely is infinite I guess.

[edit on 9/26/2007 by somedude]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
well i wish the rich me in another parellel universe could lend the poor me in this universe some millions because i am sure the rich me must have won that powerball lottery ticket i failed to win here.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

"I think, therefore I am." - DesCarte

Doesn't this bring a whole new meaning to the above statement? I think that maybe the ancient mathematicians knew more than they were letting on...

Me thinks that this will be a very interesting time for science.

TheBorg

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I don't believe this for a second, it's actually very unrealistic. And I don't care if some "top scientists" is saying this, they are wrong! And I know it.

every time a new physical possibility is explored

Well, that might be 100.000 times a second actually, or a billion (who defines that?). Some animals experience time slower than us, which means they can do much more choices in a second than us.

And isn't the energy needed to create a whole new universe quite big?
I can say one thing, math can't explain everything... If it does then I'll create a stupid math formula which says that the universe is actually a hotdog.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join