It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Potter and the Illuminati symbology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Not only names like Slytherin and Draco Malfoy, not only phrases such as Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus ("Never tickle a sleeping dragon") not only Voldemort and his Reptilian appearance grace the 'Harry Potter' books, I have recently found this very obvious lead on the cover of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" book:

So, what does the Deathly Hallows symbol remind you of, exactly?

Notice the vertical line in the circle. It could remind you of:

A pyramid with a Reptilian eye in it. Interesting isn't it?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I sorta looked at the whole concept,

Certain childeren born from elite bloodlines have extra special powers. This is the old idea that the elites are actually better then the peasants.

Look at how his family was shown as trailer trash while this person of good pedigree was normal.

So they are selected out and given special training including occult rituals. This is what the fraternal organizations, and to some extent colleges do.

This is what struck me as odd.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Never really looked at the books like that. Kind of creepy. I still think it's just a book though with no other "secret" meanings. Hell I could be wrong though, just need some more to work with!

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Rowling takes influence from the world around us, so I'm sure she knew the Illuminati iconography and how it would fit into Harry Potter.

She probably saw the symbol, thought it looked interesting and used it.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ParanormalShiver

There is one other thing that always bothered me. The hat seperates them into 4 groups, she might have got this from one of those personality test at management seminars, I don't know. But Slithering sticks out to me. These are the bad guys, they do bad things and are still considered a part of the whole machine. This is a removal of morals as a strict rule, and accepting that being evil is only a different approach to a problem.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Having read all of the Harry Potter books and being a student of ancient symbols, it is my opinion that the author studied old symbols just enough to pepper them through her books. For example the Sorcerer's Stone attempts to equate to the Philosopher's Stone. The use of these symbols in the books worked out very good for the story line but very little indication is given that the author knew the true meaning of them.
As for being separated into four houses this is classic good guy VS bad guy competition. The quidditch competition is a very big part of the story, there needs to be bad guys to beat now and then.

Certain childeren born from elite bloodlines have extra special powers. This is the old idea that the elites are actually better then the peasants.

Look at how his family was shown as trailer trash while this person of good pedigree was normal.

So they are selected out and given special training including occult rituals. This is what the fraternal organizations, and to some extent colleges do.

Did you read these books? Remeber the whole mudblood drama? One of the main characters, renowned for her exellent magic skills was Hermione Granger. She was born of mugels, normal folk. The whole drama of some people believing they were better because of the pure magic ancestry was played out in the books. Salazar Slytherin who founded the Slytherin house required that only pure bloods could join. Only the bad guys in these books valued the pure blood thing.

As for the triangle circle symbol, since all simple geometric shapes (the ones you learned in kindergarten) are used frequently the world over in every culture since time immemorial, how do you know which secret meaning the author is trying to convey?
Could you make a nice symbol using no circles, squares, triangles, vertical lines (aka reptilian slit), wavy lines (snake symbol), right angles (masonic symbol) stars (police, Sunday school, Christmas etc.) crosses (used by Christians, Egyptians and Star Angel).
I think some of you have seen the movies but have not read the books.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by RedPill]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I would think that she just thought it looked cool and thought

" Hey i can add that into those books about a character i stole off terry pratchet
"

Take Care, Vix

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Most conspiracies are instant hits! Or using parts of history..
An artist takes a conspiracy theory/history/fantasy world, breaks it down, takes images and symbology and makes a story.

As you can see its a gold mine!!
Just look at all the artists today who take things from conspiracy theory, and turn it into something else, which captures the minds of many people.

For most people, its the stories that lead them to conspiracy theories..
And then they are like.. Oh.. thats where they get those ideas from..

From music to video games.. Movies and artwork...

Conspiracy theories/history/fantasy worlds are a gold mine to any artist...

[edit on 19-9-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedPill
As for being separated into four houses this is classic good guy VS bad guy competition. The quidditch competition is a very big part of the story, there needs to be bad guys to beat now and then.

good point, it allows for rivalries, no different then jocks vs preps or something like that in real world situation.

Did you read these books?

just the movies, not an expert, and just thoughts, thank you for giving me so much more insight into it.

Now that you reminded me you are right for sure, I forgot the part about the bad guys being the bloodliners. In hindsight wasn't harry belittled for not having best heritage in the beginning by snobish group?

I have a symbol that has deep meaning with no triangles lines or squares here it is. Just dots o's and perenthesies

....oooO............ .. ....oooO............ ..
.....(....)...Oooo.. . .....(....)...Oooo.. .
......)../.....(....).... ......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../. .... .....(_/.......)../. ....
...............(_/.. ..... ...............(_/.. .....

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vixion
I would think that she just thought it looked cool and thought

" Hey i can add that into those books about a character i stole off terry pratchet
"

Take Care, Vix

Ok, you`ve got me.

What pratchett character is she ripping off? I`m not seeing it.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I haven't read all of the Harry Potter books, but only the first couple. It isn't really an occult story as much as it is a "coming of age in a british prep school" drama. It is basically a remake of the WWII classic "Goodbye, Mr. Chips."

Rowling basically looked through some abridged histories of witchcraft and alchemy, and boiled it down to stuff she could copyright. Then she sprinkled in a bunch of pseudo-Latin. And the kids went wild for it.

Originally posted by RedPill
Having read all of the Harry Potter books and being a student of ancient symbols, it is my opinion that the author studied old symbols just enough to pepper them through her books. For example

Exactly

the Sorcerer's Stone attempts to equate to the Philosopher's Stone.

In the UK, the book was called "the Philosopher's Stone" so I've been told. Supposedly, her New York publisher told her that the stupid Americans would be confused by the word "philosopher," and so it was dropped. A much more likely explanation is that she wanted a name she could copyright. The term Lapis Sapientum / Lapis Philosophorum is nearly a thousand years old. She was afraid people could sell knock-offs of her books and movies, so the genuine historical tradition was bowdlerized to create copyrightable (profit-making) original work.

The use of these symbols in the books worked out very good for the story line but very little indication is given that the author knew the true meaning of them.

Quite So. The first book mentioned "Nicholas Flamel" as one of the the greatest wizards. Actually, Flamel was an historical person, a scribe, who lived in late medieval Paris. Numerous legends later attached to him. While he was widely rumored to have discovered a process for turning cheap metals into gold, he and his wife led a very frugal existence. While living in a small home, he donated huge amounts of money to build orphanages, churches, and I think a cemetery for homeless children. Wikipedia article on Nicholas Flamel. (The wikipedia article confirms that the name of the Harry Potter book was only changed in the US. Stupid yanks. Or at least stupid yank publishers.)

As for the triangle circle symbol,

While I don't disagree with redpill, I suspect that Rowling took a famous wookcut of an alchemist "squaring the circle," and changed it enough to make it unique---again, so she could sell her own copyrightable materials, and sue anyone who tried to cash in on her work.

since all simple geometric shapes (the ones you learned in kindergarten) are used frequently the world over in every culture since time immemorial, how do you know which secret meaning the author is trying to convey?
Could you make a nice symbol using no circles, squares, triangles, vertical lines (aka reptilian slit), wavy lines (snake symbol), right angles (masonic symbol) stars (police, Sunday school, Christmas etc.) crosses (used by Christians, Egyptians and Star Angel).

[edit on 19-9-2007 by RedPill]

Excellent. Excellent points. Redpill would get a point bonus if I were a mod. Congratulations, and you'll have to settle for dr strangecraft's own "order of the lucid knight" award. Well done.

The irony is pretty thick. Ancient people trying to find the meaning in life, use symbols and legends to talk human nature. Then a children's book author ransacks 2000 years of tradition, and then warps it so that no one can compete with her money-pile. Credulous readers assume that she is dealing out secret truth, and so assume that she's discussing some ancient evil conspiracy. In fact, the people she ripped off were, umm. . . . philosophers.

Burn them. they're witches.

Burn her. She's a witch! She turned me into a newt! (I got better)

Did you ever get the feeling we are the ones living in the dark ages? We have forgotten the works of the ancients, and even somebody who is merely an intellectual grave-robber gets crucified for mentioning things man was not meant to know.

fiat lux.

(edit to fix quotes with little slashes and brackets where they belong)

[edit on 19-9-2007 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I am not sure if it is 'illuminati' symbolism, but I found it strange that "Mugwump" is considered a special title for Wizards in the Harry Potter Books.

While I doubt many readers of the Harry Potter books also have read William Burroughs' book Naked Lunch, do you think Rowley was unaware that 'Mugwumps' are a sort of Reptilian parasite, that secretes addictive fluids from 'organs' attached from their head.

Mugwump (disambiguation)

Did she not know, not care, or does she want 'little wizards' to think it is okay to suck the fluid from the creature's heads?

DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Just to pick up where you left off on your last line, I chuckled when I found out she choose a name that is also a treatment for VD. A little more research next time maybe.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
To those posting,

If you've only seen the movies, don't try to look into the Harry Potter world as a conspiracy. Read the books. Every one of them. Then come back and post. I'm not being a jerk, I'm just saying there is so much more information you don't know about the series to make an accurate comment. Thank you for understanding. It's kinda like commenting on Judeaism when you've only seen the Ten Commandments movie.

Now, as to the "World" of Harry Potter.
J.K Rowlings is British. She took a lot of symbolism and history and meshed it right into her books. In order to make it a good, believable story of a seemingly ordinary boy thrust into, yes, a Secret Society. Period.
Wizards and Witches, Trolls, Goblins, Hippogriffs, Pixies, Doxies, Unicorns, Squibs and Dementors are all elements of European folklore. JKR took all that is "old" and just "modernized"it to flesh out her stories.
In the Wizarding world, there are schools all over the planet, hidden (Unplottable) from the Muggles knowledge. All teaching generations of Magic-Users how to live and work beyond the Muggles awareness. There is, in the story, a whole Government that sits next to the known Governments that governs the Wizarding world. Just as compartmentalized as it "real" counterpart and in those Wizard Governments there are the same problems of Bribes, skull-duggery and murder.
There is bigotry and hate between races and whether or not a wizard has "pure blood" or is a "mud blood" or impure family trees.
There are those wizards and witches who have pure bloodlines and are hated because they believe it shouldn't matter.
There are spells and charms that use Latin phrasology.
There are countless evokations of pure old symbology to intrigue any good conspiracy theorist.
There are good guys and there are bad guys. Sometimes the good guys have bad days and make bad decisions for the best reasons and sometimes the bad guys make good decisions for bad reasons.

Just like the real world.

My opinion is that JKR wrote a good story using the history and symbology of the land she was born and raised in. In Britain you can't throw a stick anywhere without hitting a historical symbol and that's pretty much why it's so chock-full of symbology. It's all around her.

Now, read the books! Then re-read them. Then we'll talk more.

Let's talk about the Sorting Hat and the Houses.
How about the Ministry?
The Bloodlines.
The Wizamagot.
The Death Eaters.

It all has has great symbology and I would love to talk about it. But, ya have to have read the books. As with any movie, they just don't have the ability to recreate the whole of the story enough to really discuss the mindset of the Author.

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Star Angel
Not only names like Slytherin and Draco Malfoy, not only phrases such as Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus ("Never tickle a sleeping dragon") not only Voldemort and his Reptilian appearance grace the 'Harry Potter' books, I have recently found this very obvious lead on the cover of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" book:

Just to add...

The symbol you refer to is fully explained in the final book. It is meant to symbolize the "Deathly Hallows": a wand, a stone, and a cloak.

Now, can you devise a better way to represent those items together in a single, geometrically simple symbol?

I think everyone is reading too much into all this, and I'd be willing to bet it's the ones who haven't read the books. Yes, there are some real references but they are obscure and in all probability innocent. Do I think Rowling is trying to entice the young generation into Occult practices and such? I honestly don't think so. She simply wrote a compelling, emotional, exciting, well written and well executed story (and not just for 7th graders, either). Period.

As Cuhail said, read the books, in their entirety, and much of this will be sorted. The movies will leave you seriously lacking if you are trying to decipher something from the story. I would say more but what I would say has already been said.

[edit on 9/19/07 by The Axeman]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Obviously a book about magic will have magical symbols, or not?

I could open a thread with the title "Star Angel (your name) and the Illuminati symbology" because you have been using these symbols in your posts as well

I have seen all the threads you opened today and I understand that you definetely believe all this Illuminati & reptilian stuff, dont you.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau
I am not sure if it is 'illuminati' symbolism, but I found it strange that "Mugwump" is considered a special title for Wizards in the Harry Potter Books.

While I doubt many readers of the Harry Potter books also have read William Burroughs' book Naked Lunch, do you think Rowley was unaware that 'Mugwumps' are a sort of Reptilian parasite, that secretes addictive fluids from 'organs' attached from their head.

DocMoreau

I think she was indeed unaware. I think she was using a British term for pacifists who allied with the Labour Party in an attempt to end Britain's involvement in World War One. The older, Pre-Borroughs meaning of mugwump is a person who refuses to join a political party, but insists on being a "free spirit."

What in America used to be called an "independent voter."

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have always loved J.K. Rowling and have read every book. I feel them you know what I mean, and what I feel is all good. Now excuse me I am going to go to her website and play homing hippogriffs... oh and BTW she is currently working on a who done it spy type novel and I for one will pre order it!

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
You are correct I can not say she had any alterior motive, I was musing at possibilities and have correctly been shown I was wrong. Basically this trying to figure out the world is like looking at a car covered by a tarp. They say it is a old beater, but we all can see the sports car shape and the really nice tires.

So what do we do, we all start guessing what color the interior is when we really don't know, we only know that those are really nice tires and someone is lying.

I did not mean to insult someone you admire, I have authors I like also. I was joking on last post.

And if you meant me when you said you read all the threads I started .... COOL .... I hope you got the buffy one, that is my crown jewel of over analysis. It is way over the top

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If it does have any secret undertones, it would be against the Illuminati, considering that Voldemort represents evil. I can also see a definite Illuminati-New World Order type thing (you don't have to just focus on the minuscule details you know), where Voldemort indirectly takes over the Ministry of Magic, establishes a police-state, secular society....kind of like America...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join