It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien fruit props

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
My grandma just bought a bunch of fruits, locally known as buah salak. Every time I look at the fruit, I'm amazed how weird it looks like. So I decided to open this thread to showcase strange fruits that would look very appropriate as an alien fruit prop in movies or TV shows. I'll be using the local names because I've no idea what it's Anglicised name is. So here goes:

Buah Salak

Reptilian Fruit!

Dragon Fruit

Like the name suggests. I think I've seen this fruit in Star Trek: Voyager, though.

Rambutan

Hairy little red balls. Rambut means hair in Malay. There's also a yellow version. They taste like lychee.

Durian

What can I say about the durian. You either love it or hate it. The smell is quite strong, and it tends to heat up your body. Strangely, if you drink water using the husk, it cools you down. Some friends of mine told me that in the jungle, tigers are sometimes seen eating this fruit. After they finish, they'll actually close the husk back. Very strange. Duri means thorn in Malay.

Those are some of the strangest looking fruits available locally in Malaysia. Feel free to add any other strange fruits worldwide to this list.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What? No one has any comments? I thought this would be fascinating...

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Haha! Very cool! Indded those are some odd fruits! I would LOVE to find one of them in the wild, they would look so cool.

Here is a site that has some cool fruits on it.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Cool website! Thanks for the link

I had no idea this was called "Malay Roseapple". Locally we call them Jambu Air which literally translates to "Water Guava". Some people call it Jambu Merah which means "Red Guava".

We also call this other fruit Jambu Air:

Which that website lists as "Wax Jambu". Man, I'm confused.

Here's another strange local fruit I forgot to add to the list above:

Belimbing a.k.a. Star Fruit

Makes an excellent cooling drink. Really juicy. I can't believe I forgot about it.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Yeah, we can buy the star friut around here, have never heard of the others though. Once in Hawaii I did eat a wild Guava. Maybe a few actually, we found them on a waterfall hike.

Here is another AMAZING website for these exotic fruits.

I really have underestimated the number of ruits in the world. Everyone likes fruit, they're juicy and sweet. I've always been confined to the regular old banana, orange, apple, pear, strawberries, blueberries... you know, the regular old north american new england fruits.

I would really like to try these fruits, all of them atually. And just imagine how many more undiscovered fruits there are deep in the jungles.

new topics

top topics

join