It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The day the Earth stood still.....dude!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I've had a look through the threads and couldn't see this any where.

So they've decided to remake one of the most iconic scifi movies of all time......"The day the Earth stood still" and guess whos playing the leading role of klatu................its Keanu Reeves.
I just can't see how they can make a better movie than the original, we are all so used to weird looking robots since star wars now that Gort wont have the same effect he had as in the original version, he just wont be scary enough. I wasnt around during the original release but my Father loved classic sci fi when I was growing up and I grew to love this movie.
what do you guys think of all these Hollywood remakes of classic movies like "The day the Earth stood still" and "Fanastic voyage".

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Kurokage]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If Keanu is in it, it's practically guaranteed to be a piece of crap.

He ruined Bram Stoker's Dracula.

The only thing he's ever been semi-OK in was the Matrix movies.

perhaps if he could actually show emotion, I might like him better, but as it is, all I can say is bleah!

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
The only thing he's ever been semi-OK in was the Matrix movies.

You've obviously forgotten the Bill & Ted movies. He was made for that role.

Since TDTESS is one of my all-time favorite movies, I can't imagine it being bested on remake. But it could work. I'm actually a little more distressed about Halloween being remade. Now that was a little piece of cinematic perfection that cannot be improved. IMHO.

I didn't know Fantastic Voyage was being remade. Great book, OK movie. Raquel in the diving suit was about as much as I can clearly recall. Yowza!

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If that is in fact who's been cast, then casting should be fired. First off he's not tall enough, and second it's just a huge mistake in casting!!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Cool! A good director could make a good movie. I don't mind Reeves, might work.

Roper, Klaatu barada nikto!

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951), starring Micheal Rennie, has always been one of my favorite movies. I remember seeing the movie, for the first time on television when I was just a little kid. The movie made such an impact on me that I can clearly recall the movie being broadcast in the mid 1960's on NBC's "Saturday Night at the Movies", one of the first prime-time efforts by the major networks to broadcast films. I also clearly remember how that movie seemed to trigger a spate of "bad dreams" about UFO's and aliens for quite some time afterward. But it also inspired a life-long interest in UFO's and all things extraterrestrial. I guess that I was quite an impressionable kid because here I am, decades later, and I'm still interested.

I don't know how Hollywood will treat a remake of this great science-fiction classic but I'm hoping that they do the original film justice. In my mind, however, it will be a "tall order". The original was certainly a well-crafted film. Even the eerie sound track by Bernard Hermann and the use of the Theremin was memorable.

Hopefully, Keanu Reeves will be able to handle the role of Klatu. Perhaps Reeves' emotionless "style" will actually work in his portrayal of an alien visitor on a mission to warn Earth. As far as a director is concerned, I am a bit leery about the announcement that Scott Derrickson has been named in that capacity. Derrickson's 2005, "Exorcism of Emily Rose" certainly didn't impress me much. One can only hope that Derrickson's directorial abilities have grown with time and experience.

We can only speculate and wait until the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still is finally released on May 9th, 2008 (tentative release date). I know one thing for certain, this is one film that I will definitely see "on the big screen".

[edit on 9/7/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments guys!!
I'm right there with you Benevolent, I saw this movie as a young kid in the mid-seventies and was blown away by it, it was this movie and Close Encounters of the Third kind that got me interested in anything extraterrestrial (I was even a bit frightened by Gort lol).
I am a little worried about whether Keanu can even come close to Micheal Rennie's performance and how much will CGI be used including creating a "new" Gort!!

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
One thing is for certain about this or any movie remake, the end result will be a "completely different film". We can only hope that a remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still might "suspend ones' sense of disbelief" making sitting in the dark for two hours worthwhile.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
SO who would be a good lead for the role.
I would have thought someone more mature and wiser looking.

Be funny if Arnold came off the ship and started telling us about our world!

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think someone like Ralph Fiennes would have made a good Klatu, maybe Arnold can play Gort!! lol
How do guys think Gort should be done, CG or anamatronic and do you think they should keep the original design including the moving single red light for his eyes later used in Knightrider and BSG for the cylons.

new topics

top topics

join