It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Trucks Begin Crossing Border Saturday

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Zaphod, thanks for the info. I understand everyone's concern here about this issue. Being half mexican I feel that I have to play devil's advocate and question some of the stereotypical responses here.

Yes, mexico is a very dirty place. Growing up in AZ, I spent many summers with relatives in Nogales, AZ and Sonora. I have seen firsthand the quality of their vehicles and the trash everywhere. What bothers me is the general attitude of americans toward mexicans. In the US, all mexicans are lumped into one stereotype: dirty, lazy, criminals. Even my dad, the mexican, used to call any quick and easy way of doing things "the mexican way." They are not all like this. Most of the mexicans here are just trying to better their life and are hard workers.

Now, in regards to national security, this is awful. It is now so much easier for some terrorist group to infiltrate the US with whatever they want. Before this, my view on a dirty or small yield explosive getting into the US undetected seemed pretty unlikey. Now, I'm not so sure. The "Jericho" type senarios seem a lot less far fetched.

PS-apc, any self-respecting mexican would not eat a "heat-and-eat" burrito
(at least I hope not.)

[edit on 30-8-2007 by scooler1]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I just can't stand how the voice of the Union has been gagged, disrespected and stiffled!

www.teamster.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

There's little hope... Filing for an injunction like this in the Ninth Court of Appeals is ludicrous.

Tuesday I'll get an idea of what is to come... I have a long commute (850 miles) on a major East-West route.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by scooler1

I have many friends who are legal mexican immigrants and they too have a big problem with things like this. They legal immigrants spent lots of time, money and effort to become citizens and are very angry with the notion of amnesty for example. This has nothing to do with the mexican people. If I were born in mexico, I would do what ever was necessary to best support my family. I have often said that if I were born in Mexico, I too would probably be an illegal alien.

This is not a problem with people or their nationality, its about US government law, and the lack of enforcement. It's also about this never ending push for the North American Union, which I have yet to hear of anyone who supports it.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Bigger trucks on our roadways?

Mexico also allows commercial motor vehicles that are larger and heavier than those in the United States to operate on federal highways, and the Mexican experience could be the subject of a subsequent research phase.
www.trb.org...

100 new carriers with different restrictions will have an impact on infrastructure too... like bridges and overpasses.

There are programs in place to regulate this, but is it too little too late? Here's a bit from '98...

The U.S. Congress also agrees that NAFTA harmonization should not result in increased truck size and weight. In the Spring of 1996, 58 Senators and 232 House of Representative Members signed letters to then Secretary of Transportation, Federico Peöa, opposing increasing truck size and weights as a result of NAFTA negotiations.

Increased Truck Density And Its Impact On Deaths And Injuries, Infrastructure Damage And Environmental Pollution
www.trucksafety.org...

*bolding mine

Just what, exactly, has been done over the past 10 years to minimize the size difference as well as the maintenance regulations? Has this been thoroughly thought out or is this just being jammed down our collective throats?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

well.. im from portland and worked for frieghtliner/western star trucks, portland being the mother plant for frieghtliner. and just in the last few years frieghtliner sold out to mexico.. they built a super plant there to make the frieghtliner trucks we were making,all of the trucks we built were custom,the only plant in the U.S. that built custom frieghtliner trucks. and after hearing about the NAU and this trucking from mexico.. i know see why they built the mexico plant,sown there they pay them like slave wages compared to what we were making,and to my knowledge they didnt have to give or even offer benifits to them,unlike here in U.S. we had full benifits 100% on everything... but because they built the frieghtliner plant in mexico.. over 1200 of the 2500 working for frieghtliner are now out of work,like myself. it's all comming into focus now ...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The idea of new mexico distribution centers was mentioned earlier, here's a few links.

www.expansionmanagement.com...

www.hitachi-hb.co.jp...

www.caltradereport.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I have a 2 part question regarding all of this.

1. Who handles inspection for this port? American or Mexican inspectors?

and

2. If it is the Mexican inspectors, does it make the U.S. more vulnerable to drug trafficing and other illegal activities?

Thanks,
Xia

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The reason for the general attitude of Americans toward Mexicans as being dirty and lazy is because it's true. If they weren't lazy they'd fix their own country and quit messing ours up. I've been in the construction industry for years and the illegal immigrants have completely destroyed it.

As far as the truckers go, they CAN stop the Mexican trucks from crossing, simply block the roads coming in. Make it a national story so the mainstream media has to address it. I'm pretty sure they'd get help from other American Citizens. I'd help, we just need a spark.

Maybe this would be the catalyst for getting our nation back and kicking the illegal scum and the political scum out.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by logicize

The article mentions the point I was going to bring up and that is the AFLCIO asking to get a court injunction prohibiting them from our roads. Since they claim they do not have CDLs I say keep them the hell off our roads.

Texas already started stopping them for instant safety checks and turned trucks back during what I recall was a test tun. Do not know the outcome of that but that is what I read.

I am willing to bet 50 percent of their trucks would not even pass safety inspections here in the US (I do not believe the government claims :shk: ) and I kept my estimate low yet I think it might be higher according to my gut instinct and past knowledge of them.

Problems with Mexican trucks Abound

Mexican Truck Program Endangers Motorists

[edit on 8/30/2007 by shots]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Coupla questions:

Is this agreement reciprocal? I.e., will US truckers have full access to Mexican roads?

Irt striking, I remember hundreds of trucks pulled over alongside Rt. 80 in PA in the 70's, protesting the 55 mph speed limit. What has changed?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by logicize

I agree, This should be taken as an act of terrorism by our own corporate elite, this trucks crossing the border do not have to have legal licenses or any other papers to prove who they are.

As usual American citizens loses.

How is the security when it comes to this trucks going all over our nation?

But occurs that is not the point as long as somebody is to benefit and profit.

As we can see this has been pushed without the consent of the American people.

Why is that? where is the fight against terrorism when it comes to this? were is the outrage? and the protest.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Enter the Conspiracy Theorist, Stage Left

You know, with all the talk lately of some big domestic tragedy and terror treats, etc., I find it interesting that we are now letting a whole bunch of foreign freight vehicles into the country. What type of security will be placed on these trucks? Are they going to scan all of the cargo? Cuz if I was somebody that was interested in getting a big bomb or something into the country, I would go stash it on a 18-wheeler in Mexico and have it drive across the border.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have to say that I am very much against this. Mexico and Canada have less strict regulations for truck drivers than the U.S. does. I work in the tractor-trailer repair industry, and I know alot of truck drivers, ranging from Ltl carriers to long-haul carriers. I deal with some of the biggest trucking companies on the road. I'm going to talk more to some of the drivers I know about this and see what we can do about raising awareness to this issue.

We had a group of mexicans buy a tractor and trailer from another repair shop nearby once. That shop sold the combo as is, stating that it did not comply with DOT standards, and should not be taken on the highways. They then brought it over to our shop and asked for nothing other than to get the lights fixed. As I worked on the lights I found that there was multiple DOT violations, and when I asked if they wanted this stuff repaired, in very broken english I was told, no, that they just wanted to get it across the border. I live in Green Bay, WI. That's not a short drive. This is the kind of crap they are going to put on our highways.

Our families and friends have to travel the highways everyday, do we want them next to, or behind these vehicles? I certainly don't! Trucking is the backbone of our country, and if accidents caused by mexican truckers cause stiffer regulations on American truckers, that will not only hurt the drivers, and the companies they work for, it will hurt every one of us as well.

Not only that, but I hear alot of people bashing drivers. This will make that worse too. I defend our drivers, and remind people that if it weren't for truck drivers, they wouldn't have the clothes on their backs, or the plasma tv's they spend their time in front of.

Either they get the same tough regulations that we have, or they get off our roads.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
Cuz if I was somebody that was interested in getting a big bomb or something into the country, I would go stash it on a 18-wheeler in Mexico and have it drive across the border.

Especially since this isnt being sensationalized in the mainstream media. Then whoever does it can think to themselves, "We gave them warning, no one ran with it though..hahaha silly americans. pfft." This story needs more attention to it thus something can be done about it IMO.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I stand by the american truckers. You don't pull the rug out from under someone who has played by the rules. Will congress speak for them or stand idly by?

Take care. ------------------PC

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

As far as I know, it's only for their trucks to come into the US, not the other way around. There are a surprising number of truck drivers that can't leave the US to go into Canada as it is due to various reasons. That's one reason I drive a long nose truck.
I can go into Canada, but they don't let long nose trucks into the country up there.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cw0203
The reason for the general attitude of Americans toward Mexicans as being dirty and lazy is because it's true. If they weren't lazy they'd fix their own country and quit messing ours up. I've been in the construction industry for years and the illegal immigrants have completely destroyed it.

Wait a minute!!??? Whoa, whoa, whoa.. While I am one of the biggest proponents of securing our national borders, I have to say something about your comment.

You say that Hispanics are lazy. Really? What do you really base this on?

[edit on 30-8-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicize
This is not a problem with people or their nationality, its about US government law, and the lack of enforcement. It's also about this never ending push for the North American Union, which I have yet to hear of anyone who supports it.

I am in support of the NAU, and even a one world government. Its automatically assumed as a bad thing, instead of looking and seeing how it could bring us together under one flag. We are all humans beings, I hope someday we will treat each other as such.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cw0203

I work at one of the Ashley Furniture factories. They are very fast paced jobs. Probably a quarter of the employees are mexican and my god do they work hard. I have never heard them complain, they are whistling and joking while working. I have found the experience working with them to be quite pleasant and eye opening to my own attitude at work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join