It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Trucks Begin Crossing Border Saturday

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by souls
Trust me, show me a training manual/ course, I'll learn it and out perform some of the experienced, guaranteed, any subject. It is called to adapt and excel. I'm pretty sure in the trucker manual they teach you how to deal with snow, actually isn't that common sense?

dude, i think this is the most ignorant post i have read on all three of the network forums...you REALLY sound like a tool here.
you want people to give you a big ole pat on the back?

what gives you the stones to say you'll learn it and outperform some of the experienced?
that is straight up talking junk....
i consider myself to be one of those people that can 'drive anything with wheels and some without'...from bikes to manuels, big trucks, etc...my uncle was a trucker and i 'drove' his truck once. he didn't have a trailer on it and i drove down a straight road for about 10 blocks.
i'm a fool to think that i could grab the book and learn it and do it better than people with experience..
what about in the rain? the snow? the mountains?..ever been driving through west virginia in the winding mountains where you can get to whipping around at 70 mph no problem cause of the grades? add darkness and winter...you have 18 wheelers going 65-70 through these turns....you ever see those hills that go up the side of the mountains for 'runaway trucks'?
how heavy is the load you are pulling?

i just wanted to call you out on this...thats pretty much it.
give these truckers their propers man.....it's NOT easy. roll up to the flying v off the highway after driving for 6 hours, tired, got the white ilne fever and you have to back your rig into a narrow ass spot in a row of 20 trucks...
not an easy job.

you also say ANY subject.
i was a mechanic before i got hurt. i started before i got my certs, then went to classes, then got all my certs. i remember being in the shops and we'd get a master tech(all ase's and you're a master tech) that went to teh vocational school and got his certs from the books and VERY limited class work....you know, they had to replace struts in the class or rebuild the engine but the bolts were all new and not torqued, messed up, etc..
these dudes would come in the shop with their master tech patch on thinking they were the man and they'd be LOST when it came to actually fixing something....it's a whole different ballgame to actually do it.

you remind me of them kind of people, so,

as far as it being common sense dealing with snow, how is it? how is it common sense on how to handle driving in it when say, you've never done it before. sure, you can read in the manuel on what to do but once you get on the road, in traffic with thousands of pounds and force behind you and you start to slide around, you're not gonna know what to do. oh, but what if something fails? the breaks are acting up and it is snowing, approaching white out conditions fast and you're an crappy roads....it's just 'common sense' of what to do?
nay.....it's experience.....you can't sub anything for experience.....

that why companies want experienced drivers. they don't want newbs out there on the road....newbs tend to think like you. they just graduated from the trucker school they saw an ad for on tv, passed their cdl and now they're an 'expert' truck driver....
it don't work that way
[/cliche' mock about this site being about denying ignorance]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
but there is nothing like backing an 80 foot vehicle into a space barely wider than it is, with another one sitting on either side.

yeah man, that stuff looks nuts...i'm a good driver. never had any accidents. worked as a tech at several shops and even uhaul so i got to drive some pretty big stuff. there is no way i could back a rig into one of those spots though. i'd piss my pants if i had to.

the very first time i realized that it would not be possible(cause i always used to see them and i whought it was easy) was when i was hitched to a boat for the first time. i had to back the boat down the ramp and into the water. i did it but it made me realize that when you have what, 50-60 feet behind you and NO room, it's HARD to get that dude in there...

i wouldn't want to be on the road with a trucker that had an attitude like this guy either.
i get as aggrivated at truckers as the next guy...they are going the speed limit only(imagine that) or i am boxed in but it is nothing they are doing..i don't act like a prick though and cut them off and slice in front of them and such. i know people do and it is silly and unsafe. i am a very aggressive driver, i talk while driving on the phone..

what i do NOT do though, is disrespect people in rigs or people on bikes. when on the road, they get the ultimate respect but for different reasons.
even if they are some turds on a rocket that think they are a stunt man aplitting traffic and doing wheelies, if i catch back up to them i don't try and swipe them or anything.....

add all these facors into a truckers routine and thats hard as hell man.

15 gears?
thousands and thousands of pounds behind you?
what is it like when breaking in a rig with a full trailer? i've only done it with no trailer and like i said, for a short distance.
have to factor in bad breaks and mechanical failures.....the more and more i think about it, driving truck, especially in certain parts of the country is pretty damn scary...being around other jerk drivers that think they own the road in their tiny ass honda del sol's....

you guys have a hard job...

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Man, I couldn't even describe it. I'm a long haul driver normally, but I was working a regional account that involved going to multiple stores in a day, so I've gotten a LOT of backing practice, and I STILL get nervous when I'm backing in. You've got a 53' long trailer along with about 20 feet of tractor or so, that bends in the middle. If you're not VERY careful and don't take it slow you're gonna hit something.

As for trucks going the speedlimit, a lot of us are driving governed trucks. My company governs our trucks at 65 mph. There are a few that govern right at or just barely over 60 mph. The only time we can go over that is going downhill if we don't brake.
It keeps our insurance rates down because we don't get as many speeding tickets, but it drives other people on the road crazy.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

as far as it being common sense dealing with snow, how is it? how is it common sense on how to handle driving in it when say, you've never done it before. sure, you can read in the manuel on what to do but once you get on the road, in traffic with thousands of pounds and force behind you and you start to slide around, you're not gonna know what to do. oh, but what if something fails? the breaks are acting up and it is snowing, approaching white out conditions fast and you're an crappy roads....it's just 'common sense' of what to do?
nay.....it's experience.....you can't sub anything for experience.....
[/cliche' mock about this site being about denying ignorance]

I agree with everything you said. My husband is use to driving in the snow. I know he wasn't prepared for this. Two years ago when he started, in the winter never the less, he was driving while his trainer was sitting in the passenger seat.
His trainer was doing what he was suppose to be doing.

Anyhow, he was driving in PA. All of the sudden a white out hits, and the roads got icy very quickly. He could basically just see the semi - truck in front of him, and was gaining ground on it. The truck in front of him is having problems, and he starts to slip, and can't slow down. It is a two lane road, and there is no edge on the left side. At least not enough to pull over and get out of the other trucks way.

He told me his trainer was white as a ghost with fists clenched. He told me the only thing he could do was move the truck over into the oncoming lane. The trainer told me at that time all he could see was the end of the other trailer coming up on him very close. It took all he had not to grab the wheel. He knew if he did, they would have an accident for sure.

My husband told me, he didn't know how it happened. The trailer straightened out, and he slid past the other semi truck in a straight line. No one was coming up on the other side. He was able to slide the truck over into his lane. Up a ways as soon as they could, they pulled over. Both of them told me they were shaking very badly.

I did find out that was the exact time I had an unction to pray for them also. It could have ended up very badly. I'm glad my husband wasn't too cocky. He did have an attitude to learn as much as possible from everyone he could. I'll guarantee that took any cockiness out that was left in him.

If that would have happened to me, I would have probably have froze, had a heart attack, had the accident, and died. I don't even entertain the thought of driving, and have respect for the trucks on the road when I do see them.

One thing I don't like to do is jump in front of them. I did that once when I was young. My drivers ed teacher taught his students to do so. That was the worst mistake I ever made. It was late at night and poor lighting. I could barely see the road ahead of me, and drover slower than I normally would have. All I could see in my rear view mirror and side mirror was the grill of the truck. I know I PO'ed him off when I did that. Now I know it is better to follow at a safe distance, especially in bad conditions.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

That won't ever happen. The biggest people it's going to hurt are the Owner Ops. US companies are too big for Mexican companies to put them out of business. My company alone runs 9,000+ trucks, and we have contracts with several hundred companies. The Mexican trucks will be able to get cargo from some of the small companies that hire out, but they won't be taking business from any of the major trucking companies.

I wouldn't say that. Did you know that most construction work is done these days by Mexican labor, that wasn't so about 6 years ago and I live in Michigan and have worked in the construction industry for years. As soon as these guys get their rights to work in the USA consider most higher paid truckers replaced within 5 years by their current companies. I have seen it in the construction industry and I expect it to happen now in the trucking industry.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Considering that at current staffing levels there are 670,000 truckers in the United States, and less than 20,000 in Mexico, and there are 550,000 retiring in the next 10 years I stand by what I said about them not putting the big companies out of business. Mexico doesn't have enough manpower to do it.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Considering that at current staffing levels there are 670,000 truckers in the United States, and less than 20,000 in Mexico, and there are 550,000 retiring in the next 10 years I stand by what I said about them not putting the big companies out of business. Mexico doesn't have enough manpower to do it.

I hope your right, because the US can't keep taking lower wage hits from people that will be funneling money back into Mexico. I have no problem with people coming to the US and working in the US but they must do it legally, that is how the USA came to be.

What about insurance for these people coming across the border? What happens when they hurt or kill someone, ruin their rigs, ruin others properties and only have half ass insurance? I think they need to make them buy US insurance only.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
They're required to be insured by a US backed company before they can come into the US.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
how does this whole initiative not put our borders in potential danger, or have the potential to smuggle more illegals into the country?

i'm sure there will be checkpoints and what not, but come on..anything can happen

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Are there still some people saying the North American Union isn't real? It's going to all too real when a Mexican truck driver runs them over and the driver won't be prosecuted in the U.S because he's an illegal alien. I'm sure no drugs or anything illegal won't be coming across the border either.

[edit on 5-9-2007 by Amelie]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

reply to post by Zaphod58

reply to post by Boondock78

You people are so ridiculous. I let this thread go as soon as it was moved here to PTS, but I just had to come back to laugh at you people.
I wish they had a smiley of it laughing and pointing a finger.

Out of all of the things I presented for you and even the things I asked for, you guys decided to address the simple fact that I am 100% sure inexperienced people can sometimes out perform the experienced with just basic training and manuals.

For clarity, I can drive a semi any day. I would take the same courses any body takes and when it comes down to it, I am pretty sure I can be just as good, if not better than most experienced drivers. What you people argue that what if this? What if that? Ever heard of such a thing as common sense? What if it snows? What if it rains? Black Ice? "Crazy Drivers?"

common sense. You don't need a manual to have that, although I guess it really is rare.

The thing that you people don't understand is that people are made different. People's level of intelligence, their level of hand and eye coordination, their life experience, motor skills, reasoning, confidence, ability to handle situations under pressure, their performance under pressure, understanding of things and how fast it is done, etc.. is different from one another. Just because you people think you can't do it, or you actually can't do it, does not mean that every body else is the same. It doesn't mean that it will be just as hard for them as it will for you.

Cocky, maybe not. Confident, definitely. Now, on to the subject. That report you got me Zaphod58 is outdated. Please show me one that is up to date. I want to understand your claims that the Mexican driver's don't keep logs, or faulty logs.

Mystery Lady...No comment.

Boondock, please challenge my arguments, not something unimportant that I wrote. The claims that Mexican truck drivers will have faulty equipment, unsafe working procedures, and no oversight, is all disinformation and has been exaggerated for some reason or another.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by souls]

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Joan Claybrook, president of Public Citizen opening the border, “a perfect storm. It is a predictable disaster.” ... in 2005, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) stated that 17.5 percent of inspected Mexican trucks had bad brakes! One in four border-crossing drivers did not have a Mexican commercial license and 15 per cent had no logbooks.

“There is no reliable way to do a meaningful background check on a driver from Mexico, because there is no reliable way to get data. Police are not going to be able to verify driver or vehicle licenses. When the DOT tried to check Mexican drivers’ licenses, they found that on 16 percent of them, there was no information available at all. ...

“Soon, there will be a thousand Mexican trucks on the road. There will be accidents. There will be pressure on U.S. truck drivers to lower wages. Hundreds, if not thousands, of American jobs may be lost.

“It is an assault on U.S. sovereignty and it needs to be stopped.”

Source: www.blacklistednews.com...

This is what you don't hear in the main stream media. This is a real threat these Mexican trucks have in America. I know that was stated back in 2005, but not much has improved since then from reading OOIDA truckers news.

Then we have this recent headline: Mexico Truck Explosion Kills 37

A truck carrying mining explosives blew up after colliding with another vehicle in northern Mexico, killing at least 37 people .... and 150 were injured. He said the explosion left a 10-by-40 foot crater in the concrete.

The truck was filled with explosives. The truck driver collided with another vehicle. If this had anything to do with the sabotage Monday morning, I'll guarantee that driver didn't meant to set off the explosives on its way to where it is going.

I wish they had more details about the accident. I'm seriously wondering about the condition of the truck, and the condition of that driver.

If that wasn't a regular truck driver and those explosives were meant to be apart of the oil pipeline sabotage, then how easy was it for that terrorist to get hold of that truck?

As the above article stated, that the police have no reliable way to verify the driver or vehicle licenses, then how many of these type of terrorist people, drug smugglers, human traffickers are going to come across our borders with fake documents?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Looks like this got shot down anyhow unless I am reading this incorrectly.

Mods: if it is not ok to directly link to outside websites, please remove this.

A VICTORY! US Senate Pulls Plug on Open Borders for Mexican Trucks!
Posted on Wednesday, September 12 @ 03:36:26 CDT
Topic: NAFTA CAFTA FTAA

www.alipac.us...

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tenacious_b

www.alipac.us...

Very good news to my ears. I sincerely hope this is stopped in its tracks, and does die.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tenacious_b

www.alipac.us...

I think this is temporary and eventually the trucks will start flowing. If the illegal immigration is allowed to happen, so can the trucks. I'm seeing this block as a ploy of some sort. We need to keep a watch on this situation.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

As I said, it was an older link but if you bother to look around, you will find that other country's trucking regulations are not easy to find online. And when I actually have internet access, I USUALLY (sometimes I do) don't have tons of time to be searching things out. I get home for a day or two, and have to cram dr visits, time online with my wife, and many other things in there.

As for us being ridiculous you just got right on believing that you can drive an 80,000 pound vehicle better than other people do with very little training. I'll stand by what I said about not wanting to be on the road with you.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

this is the real truth of the matter. People who are here illegally do not help this country they bring all of us down.To stop this stop hiring them anyone who does should go to jail start with the ceo's and go down.Until we get this # stopped we will keep heading down the deep deep well of obscurity. Just think in 1974 you worked for 8 $ an hour and things were a hell of a lot cheaper than today.If you have no trade you start at 8$ today and starve.Our wages have stayed low because we have everyone cutting each other. This has happened in trucking for along time. If we all stand up and demand better wages this can be reality.

JOE vs JOSE

Interesting when you work the numbers.

You have two families: "Joe Legal" and "Jose Illegal". Both
families have
two parents, two children, and live in California .

Joe Legal works in construction, has a Social Security Number and
makes
$25.00 per hour with taxes deducted.

Jose Illegal also works in construction, has NO Social Security
Number, and
gets paid $15.00 cash "under the table".

Ready? Now pay attention...

Joe Legal: $25.00 per hour x 40 hours = $1000.00 per week, or
$52,000.00 per
year. Now take 30% away for state and federal tax; Joe Legal now
has
$31,231.00.

Jose Illegal: $15.00 per hour x 40 hours = $600.00 per week, or
$31,200.0 0
per year. Jose Illegal pays no taxes. Jose Illegal now has
$31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays medical and dental insurance with limited coverage
for his
family at $600.00 per month, or $7,200.00 per year. Joe Legal now
has
$24,031.00.

Jose Illegal has full medical and dental coverage through the
state and
local clinics at a cost of $0.00 per year. Jose Illegal still has
$31,200.00.

Joe Legal makes too much money and is not eligible for food stamps
or
welfare. Joe Legal pays $500.00 per month for food, or
$6,000.00 per year.
Joe Legal now has $18,031.00.

Jose Illegal has no documented income and is eligible for food
stamps and
welfare. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays rent of $1,200.00 per month, or $14,400.00 per
year. Joe
Legal now has 9,631 ..00.

Jose Illegal receives a $500.00 per month federal rent subsidy.
Jose Illegal
pays out that $500.00 per month, or $6,000.00 per year. Jose
Illegal still
has $ 31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays $200.00 per month, or $2,400.00 for insurance.
Joe Legal now
has $7,231.00.

Jose Illegal says, "We don't need no stinkin' insurance!" and
still has
$31,200.00.

Joe Legal has to make his $7,231.00 stretch to pay utilities,
gasoline, etc.
Jose Illegal has to make his $31,200.00 stretch to pay
utilities, gasoline,
and what he sends out of the country every month.

Joe Legal now works overtime on Saturdays or gets a part time job
after
work.

Jose Illegal has nights and weekends off to enjoy with his family.

Joe Legal's and Jose Illegal's children both attend the same
school. Joe
Legal pays for his children's lunches while Jose Illegal's children
get a
government sponsored lunch. Jose Illegal's children have an
after school ESL
program. Joe Legal's children go home.

Joe Legal and Jose Illegal both enjoy the same police and fire
services, but
Joe paid for them and Jose did not pay.

Do you get it, now?

If you vote for or support any politician that supports illegal
immigrants....

You are part of the problem!

We need to keep this going--we need to make changes ASAP!

It's way PAST time to take a stand for America and Americans!

What are you waiting for? Pass it on and make sure your elected
officials also get a copy.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join