It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugo Chávez Gives Billions to Latin American Countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Hugo Chávez Gives Billions to Latin American Countries

news.yahoo.com

Laid-off Brazilian factory workers have their jobs back, Nicaraguan farmers are getting low-interest loans and Bolivian mayors can afford new health clinics, all thanks to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Chavez's government is now offering more direct state funding to Latin America and the Caribbean than the United States.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I realize some people are going to make something up about how this is so horrible or whatever, but regardless of intentions, giving money like this to countries and people that need it is a very good thing.

As some may know South America has formed an organization like the EU and will have it's own intranational currency, open borders and total free trade arrangement by 2020, some of those sooner than others.
This only helps th continent as a whole and truly shows the spirit of internationalship.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Haha yeah, Chavez is putting on his Santa suit and wanting to give from his heart right? Wrong.

It's a political ploy to cast the U.S. in a bad light or he'd never have said this:

"the U.S. government views the region in a marginal way. What they offer is a pittance sometimes, and with unacceptable pressures that at times countries can't accept."

If you give money to the needy, only to point out that you gave more than someone else did, what would that say about you? I'm starting to think Chavez is a real class act

Edit: to fix ^%$* spelling mistakes

[edit on 26-8-2007 by fweshcawfee]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Presidente Chávez has already said in the past that he dislikes the current
administration.

Besides that he's not saying 'Oh look at me I'm giving more money than the US government,
he was just saying that the times we do give needy Central and South American nations
money we, the majority of the time want them to do something.

For instance we give a few million to Columbia for the needy, but demand that they
enforce drug laws.

Huge Chávez has the support of the vast majority of his own people and is well liked
by many South Americans, he does'nt need to say things like that.

Now, is this 100% purely good will, well I'd say it is, but he also realizes that he can
benefit from doing that.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
he's not saying 'Oh look at me I'm giving more money than the US government

Well you're interpreting this a lot differently than I am then because to my perspective that is exactly what he is saying.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Chavez is taking advantage of the failure of the US to keep up with the South American nations.

The war on terror and the middle east agenda has taken our nation away from what is going in our own continent unless is Mexico and Canada.

This is allowing Chavez to play the Samaritan something that he can do very well and also China is doing a great job in South America.

Chavez has plan for an Unified south America away from the grip of the US and he is been able to do it using his generosity.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
He did'nt compare the levels of aid, the article did.

He just said, in a perhaps dramatic way, that the U.S. government only gives aid to
countries when it feels like it and that aid is tied aid.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The war on terror and the middle east agenda has taken our nation away from what is going in our own continent unless is Mexico and Canada.

South America is a separate continent, in the way that the European part of the Eurasian
continent is separate from the African continent, even though they are very close.

And we don't much pay to much attention to Mexico as it is unless it's really
important to those in charge.

Chavez has plan for an Unified south America away from the grip of the US and he is been able to do it using his generosity.

They are'nt his plans, not originally anyways, Simon Bolivar wanted to create a
United South American Federation in the 19th century, Chávez and many other
South American leaders are fulfilling that.

And why should the U.S. have any sort of hold on South America, they are there own countries,
and if they don't want to have connections with us they have no need to.

top topics

join