It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alamnacs As Tools For Terrorist...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Almanacs May Be Tool Used For Terrorist :FBI (compiled data)

Amid heightend indications that al-Qaeda operatives may be planning catastrophic attacks in the United States, the FBI is warning police about a new potential tool for terrorism: almanacs. An FBI intelligence bulletin sent to law enforcement agencies last week warned that " terrorst operatives may rely on to assist with target selection and preoperational planning" because they include detailed information on bridges, tunnels, and other U.S. landmarks, officials said. Although noting "the use of almanacs and maps may be the product of legitimate recreational or commercial activities," the bulletin urged the police to watch for police suspects carrying almanacs , especially in they include suspicious notations or marks, because "the practice of researching potential targets is consestant with known methods of al-Qaeda an other terrorist organizations. "The warning came as a suprise to purveyors of almanacs, which range from statistical tomes listings the tallest buildings and the longest bridges to folksy journels including planetary chart and apple-pie recipes. It does not refer to specific cases involving almanacs. But investgatos have said during a search of the apartment of alleged al-Qaeda sleeper Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, they found an almanac with bookmarked pages on major U.S. dams, rivers, reservoirs and railroads.

End of Report.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by SABOTWULF]
Notice: All members! Please properly cite your sources...all of them! Provide a working link or reference to a book, etc. Properly cite your sources, per ATS rules and guidelines! Thank you.
Here is the link:
Read alert as US lists books as terrorist tools

seekerof

[Edited on 27-3-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if terrorist do use almanacs.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I would be suprised if they didnt or used something else like so. Oh well, just need to end all their ills with a health dose of led before they blow something up.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
As long as the authorities don't use this a an excuse for book censorship it shouldn't be a problem.

As things stand, there have been many instances where people's literary taste has come under the spotlight when they've been up to something, so this is not really something new.

I would have thought the internet would be far more damaging in this type of situation anyway.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The 2004 World Almanac is a great book; I read mine all the time. Yes, it is a great way for a terrorist to obtain some improtant information, but I have seen a report on Fox News saying that the book is too large for a person who is traveling to carry. This is false. The book, although some 1000 pages long, is not heavy and not really that big. The only real info that the terrorists can use is the facts about current U.S. goveners and senators; it does into some detail.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I am surprised the real reason terrorists use almanacs has not been mentioned.

Astrological phenimina.

Many middle easterners still live thier lives by the stars. Many still plan specific things, like crop planting, marriage, business transactions, by the heavens. It not a matter of it actually having power, but to many people, it bears messages and signifigance.

Muslims go by the lunar calendar, so they are more heavily dependant on astronomical positions of planets, moon phases, ect. This is the reason terrorists are using these books, to plot thier next attack by the stars. Thats what they did with 9/11.

If you were to go out, during the night of 9/11, and look up, you would have seen the moon was but a crecent. The 4th phASE of the moon, and right at its curve, a star, a bright star. Right next to the moon, a haunting echo of the star and crescent of the muslim flag. I do know that the wane, the last phases of the moon before its a new moon, are the time for harvest, carrying out plans, ending things, and yes, death. The dying moon, ect.

Things like landmarks and visitation status are available at any tourist center. But not the positions of the heavens. Those come from almanacs.

Wonder why this obvious fact has not been mentioned?

top topics

join