It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia delivers air defence to Syria!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

MOSCOW: Russia has begun delivery of modern air defence units to Syria while rejecting speculation that some of the weapons could be forwarded secretly to Iran, a newspaper reported on Friday.

"The first part of the delivery to Syria has started," the centrist daily Nezavissimaya Gazeta reported, quoting information from a domestic military information agency.

A spokesman for Russia's arms export agency Rosoboronexport, however, declined to comment on the newspaper report.

Full Article

Another Article

This could get out of hand, which side is Russia really on. Ours? or Irans?

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Could this lead to the next war? I mean Russia is sending Syria air defence,
and we really do not know what Syrian is doing with them. Could they be
supplying the Huzbollah movement against Israeli?
This is going to get out of hand really fast.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I heard too that israel wreckoned russian navy is going to use syrian ports as bases or something.
arabist.net...

I always said lebanon should sign a pact with russia to keep there country safe.

Look at the news too that bbc has been taken of russian airwaves.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8/17/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Russia is on there side not anyone else's. Who ever pays the money gets their support. Iran could pay have it delivered to Syria and their butts are covered. I'm sure even a highly rich individual or group could finance a laundered way of getting military supplies and weapons from Countries hungry for money. Not to single out Russia but every country looks out for them selves over their allies and neighbors. Follow the money .... money talks and you know what walks.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
We are also trying to take over the North Pole, so Russia could see that as
a big threat. Well as people said it many times before, we are in some interesting times!

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Russia and China are the biggest populations of Atheists yet Iran is cool with them. Muslim posers.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Oh really? Atheists? Could have sworn both China and Russia have religious populations.

Russia for one has a large Eastern Orthodox Christian population.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Also, Russia began the whole 'claim the North Pole' bit.

It's not as though you're invading it's territory.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Why would Syria deprive themselves from having it by giving it to Hezbolla, you Americans have the crasiest ideas.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Oh really? Atheists? Could have sworn both China and Russia have religious populations.

Russia for one has a large Eastern Orthodox Christian population.

Shattered OUT...
Russia Romainia Bulgairia Serbia Greece were all Orthodox Christian Nations, until the Jews brought Communisim and those nations decided to listen and acept that crap.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Why is it a big deal that Syria or Iran gets new high tech air defense systems? They are a sovereign country and they have a right to defend their air space. No one makes noise when someone else gets new defenses.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
well you should know that russia china iran and some new countries have signed a new warsaw pact and shall train together and develope new technological advancements in aircraft naval and land based weaponry under the illision of the soe a asian defence grid in which the shall support each other in any conflict that shall arise "communism any one?"

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Russia and China are both unabashedly capitalist these days.

Even though China still maintains the fiction of being "communist", they are right now possibly the most aggressively capitalist nation on the planet.

Communism is a dead horse, it simply doesn't function.

Are the Russians and Chinese building a power bloc to protect their interests? Sure. But it's got diddly to do with communism.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by YASKY
until the Jews brought Communisim and those nations decided to listen and acept that crap.

wouldnt they be rich? since Jews make loads of money
always thought they were captalists

on topic
good for syria less chance of having hostile air craft in their air space
and if iran get it more chances of shooting Israeli and US birds from the sky

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Damn Bodrul..
Always looking forward to your posts!
I bet the avataar has something to do with it!

Anyways, here's another relevant update.

According to the original Su-30 deal between India and Russia, Russia had delivered 18 Su-30Ks early on and these were supposed to be returned in the later years for a shipment of 18 MKI replacements.

Now these 18 Su-30Ks were meant for Belarus, however due to the recent fallout between Russia and Belarus, these jets will not go there.
There have been incessant reports that these jets will end up in some ME country, Syria being the most likely.

Fate of the 18 Su-30s

I think we've over the specs of the Su-30K/MK/MK2/MKK/MKI versions enough times on this Forum to understand the significance of this sale.
18 a/c will be a sufficient package for a country of the size of Syria.
1 or 2 sqns.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by YASKY

Originally posted by Equinox99

Why would Syria deprive themselves from having it by giving it to Hezbolla, you Americans have the crasiest ideas.

Maybe because Syria and Iran are tight allies, Iran has threatened to "wipe
Israel off the face of the Earth" many times. If Russia were to claim that the
same fate would probably be.
You are probably on Iran's side probably, I am not. I am on no side, I see the big picture. I have spoken out against America saying Iran's guards are terrorists, I will speak against this!

Weapons in the wrong hands can lead to a great tragedy, weather you feel
this or not, it is the truth.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I don't think it's reasonable to see air defense units as if they were offensive weaponry - this stuff is only useful in a defensive role.

Arguably it reduces the chances of war, as it reduces Syria's sense of vulnerability and by doing so makes it less likely that they will behave unpredictably.

new topics

top topics

join