It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My solution to people taking things for granted in this country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
People complaining they "have no bars" on their cell phones so they can't text their friend who's sitting right next to them.

16 year old kids who drive BMW's because they think they're owed it because they got an A in art class.

Wasting food

These are just a couple of things that get under my skin about this subject. I have a solution, however:

Put EVERYONE through military Basic Training (probably Air Force, it's the easiest). You don't have to actually join the military, just go through the basic training.

Before I went into the air force, I think I was like most people where you don't think about the little things. Getting that glass of water when you wake up in the morning? No big deal. Getting a glass of water in the morning in basic training? Not 'til breakfast my friend. How about a candy bar? Just grab 'n go. In basic training, you're lucky if you get 1 candy bar in a 6 week time period.

So what's my point? If everyone in this country learned not to take things for granted, the country would be a much better place, IMO. It's amazing what 6 weeks did to me. It's now been 11 years since I graduated Basic Training, and there hasn't been a day that's gone by that I haven't thought about how lucky I am to have the luxuries I have. I just wish more people realized how good they have it in this country, despite how "Messed up" things seem to be.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I completely agree with you. While I haven't gone through basic (still considering the military,) it does seem like a pretty good solution to this particular problem. Might I also add to this system and say that said person must make it on their own in a 3rd world country for a designated amount of time? I know quite a few people who have it very good, take our rights and freedoms for granted, and still have the lack of decency to trash this country. Kids that are going to nice colleges on scholarships, living in nice areas, saying that they hate it here and we're all ignorant "sheeple," etc. etc. Ship 'em off to Brazil to make it on their own for 3 months! They'll be begging to come back.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Good point about the 3rd world countries...Heck, it doesn't even have to be 3rd world. I've been to England twice, and both times after my week was up I was ready to come home. that may just be me, but the point is that America, for all its faults, is still a better place to live than most, if not, all other countries...

**disclaimer - I LOVED visiting England, but I don't think I'd like living there for an extended period of time.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by Jaruseleh]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaruseleh
Put EVERYONE through military Basic Training (probably Air Force, it's the easiest).

Some people need regimentation in their lives and some people don't. You obviously did.

Joining the military isn't about learning to appreciate things, it's about becoming a robot and not questioning authority. Is it good for you physically, absolutely, but other than that there's nothing noble about it, at least not anymore. Ask yourself why they have to make commercials with Godsmack playing in the background and showing some Navy guy driving right up to the nuclear sub on which he's stationed on his rice burner. They have to freakin' lie to you to get you to join because if you knew what you were really in for you'd tell them to go eff themselves.

For the record I have never served. I had enough of that crap for two high school years at a military academy in San Marcos, Tx. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me because I learned how much BS was involved.

Peace

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by Jaruseleh
Put EVERYONE through military Basic Training (probably Air Force, it's the easiest).

Some people need regimentation in their lives and some people don't. You obviously did.

Joining the military isn't about learning to appreciate things, it's about becoming a robot and not questioning authority. Is it good for you physically, absolutely, but other than that there's nothing noble about it, at least not anymore. Ask yourself why they have to make commercials with Godsmack playing in the background and showing some Navy guy driving right up to the nuclear sub on which he's stationed on his rice burner. They have to freakin' lie to you to get you to join because if you knew what you were really in for you'd tell them to go eff themselves.

For the record I have never served. I had enough of that crap for two high school years at a military academy in San Marcos, Tx. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me because I learned how much BS was involved.

Peace

first, this isn't about the military, it's about people who take things for granted...if you read the original post, I said it wouldn't be necessary to join the military. Just go through basic training (or a similar program, perhaps run by civilians. It doesn't matter who runs it, it's the purpose behind it that matters) to learn not to take things for granted.

Second, just because one joins the military, doesn't mean one is going to war. I was in for 4 years and didn't deploy once due to my career field. I will grant you that there is a good bit of B.S. in the military, but there's going to be B.S. no matter what you do. Joining the military is probably the best thing I've ever done with my life. It turned out not to be my cup of tea, but I will never say I regret it.

On a side note, but related to the original topic, is the sense of pride one gets from completing basic training. Ask 100 (or more) people who've served in the military if they are more proud of anything they've accomplished than completing basic training (or a similar training program, such as P.O.W. training....). I'm thinking you'd be hard pressed to find many. The sense of pride I had the day I graduated is indescribable...

anyway, I'm rambling now, so yeah....

**by the way, I'm not a robot, and never was....not all branches of the service are gung ho brainwashed killing machines.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by Jaruseleh]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Man I feel you about people taking the luxuries in their life for granted.

Living in LA I especially can't stand the little prissy, wannabe, arrogant, sheltered punks who drive around in some BMW their daddy, yes daddy not dad, gave them. I know this one dude who was dating this girl. Little rich girl. for her 16th birthday daddy got her a brand new, not used Mercedes 500SL! WTF!!!!!!!!!! THis other chick I used to know before I couldn't stand vomiting everytime some assinine BS came out of her mouth, got for her 16th birthday a 350CLS. Again WTF!!!!!!!!! THis one idiot I worked with once thought that it was nerly criminal if she didn't get to go on vacation at least twice a year for a minimum of one week to hawaii. WTF!!!!!!!

Had a friend call me desperate at 10pm the other day (about a month ago) Telling me that he's in a real pickle financially and is STARVING (OMG somebody please help him, yeah right) so I go over to his Townhouse ,yes he's 26 and lives in a 3 story townhouse and he's supposedly starving, and give him 20 bucks to get by and buy some food. Guess what I saw when I went over to his townhouse. Right off the bat about 75 bucks in loose change sitting on his coffee table. a 120 dollar sack of weed laying around. about 100 dollars in cash laying around his lving room. a fridge full of Humas Pita bread, hotdogs w/ buns! Beer. from a guy who makes between 40 and 45K a year. He's STARVING? WTF!!!!!!!!!! I threw the twenty at him and walked off without even saying hi I was so pissed. To me, from my own personal experiences, starving means you've looked through every nook and crany in your car and already used up all of your pennies and nickles, walk everyday after work for about two hours going through peoples trash and picking up bottles out of the gutter to go and recycle only to find out that the 2.30 you made is only enough to get you to work tomorrow and you still don't get to eat at ALL at any piont during the day. yeah for like 35 hours our so and even then it's just a cheeseburger off the 1 menu at mcdonalds. People like my friend who is STARVING (Crock of crap) really, really piss me off.

My sister needed moner real bad cause she was starving. went over gave her 100 bucks to go shopping. My sister makes more money than me and I have more financila responsibilities than her to cover each month. What she do with the 100 bucks. called up her girlfriend and went to go get sushi. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what I'd like to do one halloween night? Mess with all the little rich kid daddy buys me everything kids. Can't stand them.

I know this one parent who bought their little precious for his 16th birthday a brand new Audi S4 Turbo high end model. I said that it wasn't a good idea. I wasrebuked with what do you know I'm rich. OK. So little darling puts on illegal limo tint. modified exhuast, chips out the turbo. yadda yadda. about 6 grand in upgrades. Gets 3 tickets his first 4 months. for the limo tint. the exhaust, exhabition of speed, running a stop sign. Does he even get grounded or yelled at? Nope not a damn thing happens to sweet little precious. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

I was working a job at 14 stalking the freezers at the local quicky mart. My parents would pickme up everyday after school at 9PM usually while I was sweeping the parking lot of the quicky mart and take me home. Then I'd get to do my homework or whatever else. Now a days. nobody I know who is a teen even has any work history. BS. little spoiled sheltered twerps. have fun wrecking your parents trust funds once you get a hold of them and running your financial situation into the ground financing that 500E class you just had to have when you were 24.

Texting is a real problem too. just ask any school teacher who has to deal with the distracted cant think for themselves kids in the middle of class that are texting constantly. Seriously you don't need to talk to your friends every two seconds. you are not intitled to the whole world bending around you and your text messaging needs. Besides to quote S. L Jackson from the boondocks. nothing ever typed with your thumbs is important.

Man you really touched on a subject that really pisses me off.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I completely agree. Having been in the military myself, it took basic training to really show me everything I had out in the world... When I got out of Basic Training in the Army, I had a respect for what I had in the outside world.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
[
Ask yourself why they have to make commercials with Godsmack playing in the background and showing some Navy guy driving right up to the nuclear sub on which he's stationed on his rice burner.

Oh, I can tell you why. You're not likely to appreciate the answer I give ya, but why not share, right?

It's because people are shallow, materialistic peons who have no sense of national identity anymore. That's why.

top topics

join