It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masons in the media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have just been watching the film 'From Hell' and I noticed the killer (Jack the Ripper) was percieved as being a Mason. Two sections of the film show the killers 'toolbox' which features a small Masonary logo and the killer wears a Masonary ring, also 'Albert's' initiation. I have to say the first time I saw this film (previous to joining ATS) I would have had no idea of the Masonary logo.

Given the quite negative impact this gives of Masons, I wanted to know if any other films also give a negative impression of Freemasonary and why? Why would producers feel the need to include this small and unecessary point to the film?

[edit on 5-8-2007 by Knights]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The League does have Masonic imagery through out the film but I don't think it is associated with any character.

As far as "From Hell" well there was among many other theories that a Mason did it. In the movie and in real record account that was written in chalkd after the murders "The Juws did it" someone connected this with the legend of Abiff's killers.

More on movies with Masonic relation below (list):
freemasonry.bcy.ca...

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by diedagaincraftsmen

As far as "From Hell" well there was among many other theories that a Mason did it. In the movie and in real record account that was written in chalkd after the murders "The Juws did it" someone connected this with the legend of Abiff's killers.

Actually, just to clarify, the chalked scrawling read "The Juwes are the one who won't be blamed for nothing."

Since the murderers of the Master Hiram were Phoenicians, and not Jews, how anyone (i.e., Martin Short) connected that with Hiram's death boggles the imagination, and shows a desperate attempt of the anti-Masons to grasp at straws.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
Why would producers feel the need to include this small and unecessary point to the film?

I can't help but feel that this question was the most poignant of the post. Why would producers put masonic symbols or hint at secret Mason or Mason-like groups into their films or, possibly, television?

Well, one reason might be because the producer or even a member of the production company integrates such things into the film since he might be a Mason. The love and dedication to this organization is certainly known to those on the Secret Society's Forum. That this might occur is, assuredly, a possiblity however remote.

Another reason would be because the Masons' have developed a mystique or aura of mystery apart from other Fraternities, Orders and Brotherhoods. To include aspects of the Masons : i.e., their symbols, serves to add a touch of that mystery and cultured intrigue into the movie as a desired effect to stimulate the viewer's involvement in the film.

My last comment is that it could be the same reason that we see Coke cans, Ford Explorers' and, well, you name the product or the host of logo's and brands that subliminally haunt the screen. Company's like Coca-Cola, GM, BMW, etc., pay producers to add their products onto the screen and even into the film.

Is it possible that the Masons are paying to have Masonic symbols and Masonic elements and influence into movie plots and screenplays or on the screen as part of the movies backdrop or scenery?

Just like Coke, the reason for such product placement is the same -- to recruit more customers == or members. Just like such 'product placement' keeps brands on the subliminal mind, product or symbol placement could just as easily impart a Masonic "influence" onto an unsuspecting audience.

Again, this is a possibility, however remote, it still remains possible.

[edit on 8/8/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I seriously doubt that the reason that it hints toward masonry in "From Hell" is because they wanted to get more people to join up. That's just a little far-fetched. What next? Charlie Manson joining D.A.R.E? Unlikely at best.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Originally posted by Knights
Why would producers feel the need to include this small and unecessary point to the film?

I can't help but feel that this question was the most poignant of the post. Why would producers put masonic symbols or hint at secret Mason or Mason-like groups into their films or, possibly, television?

Well, one reason might be because the producer or even a member of the production company integrates such things into the film since he might be a Mason. The love and dedication to this organization is certainly known to those on the Secret Society's Forum. That this might occur is, assuredly, a possiblity however remote.

IIRC correctly, "From Hell" was a graphic novel first and I don't believe there were any additions to the story as such. That said, your first point doesn't hold water insofar as "From Hell" is concerned inasmuch as paying to have the killer be a Mason would sorta be like Ford or GM paying product placement money to have one of their vehicles shown as being dangerously unsafe and responsible for the deaths of many. Counterproductive at best

Originally posted by benevolent tyrantAnother reason would be because the Masons' have developed a mystique or aura of mystery apart from other Fraternities, Orders and Brotherhoods. To include aspects of the Masons : i.e., their symbols, serves to add a touch of that mystery and cultured intrigue into the movie as a desired effect to stimulate the viewer's involvement in the film.

More likely. What people don't know (or know little about [as is often demonstrated on this forum]), they fear.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon
More likely. What people don't know (or know little about [as is often demonstrated on this forum]), they fear.

I believe it could be a possibility but I don't fully buy this theory. Producers could just as easily use Devil worshipers or any other secret organisation. The use of the Masonic symbols were shown several times when there was no need in my eyes. The film seemed to purposely point a finger at Masonic ideals.

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnightsI believe it could be a possibility but I don't fully buy this theory. Producers could just as easily use Devil worshipers or any other secret organisation. The use of the Masonic symbols were shown several times when there was no need in my eyes. The film seemed to purposely point a finger at Masonic ideals.

Well, Devil worshipers are a bit passé for demonisation (bad pun I couldn't resist) and what other secret organisation has the right combination of profile but lack of knowledge by the general public? Assuming that you're talking about "From Hell", I'd have to see the film again as I haven't seen it since the Toronto International Film Festival in '01. But as I recall, the 'bad-guy's-a-Mason' focus was on an individual as opposed to Masonry in general.

top topics

join