It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican activist attempts to burn American Flag-key word "attempts"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This was a great video for me to watch. This guy thought he was gonna burn the flag and be a hero....not in america buddy.

Im not sure if this guy was illegal alien, but if he was that kinda makes me mad.
I really havent had a problem with the illegals but guys like this piss me off.

And bravo for the one american who said hell no!!

Video

[edit on 28-7-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
This was a great video for me to watch. This guy thought he was gonna burn the flag and be a hero....not in america buddy.

How interestingly put. Not in America do we do something protected by our rights as Americans. You do realize burning a flag is not an illegal act.

"Look at that guy trying to exercise his rights to free speech.. not in America, buddy."

That just about sums up everything for me on the state of this nation.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
As dirty as it is to burn the flag in a protest... it is in fact his right of expression to do so.

Remember, once you start revoking rights, it's not long before the rest of them are gone too.

With the way things are going, I'd say the last of the American rights should be gone by the time Bush is out of office.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I just think its great for someone (probably a veteran) to standup for the flag they fought for.
I know its free speach but that guy standing up for the flag is free speach also. And isnt the posting of this video free speach? So yeah I guess that does sum it up

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I just think its great for someone (probably a veteran) to standup for the flag they fought for.

First of all, there is no reason to infer that this person was a veteran by that video.

Secondly, the person with the flag should have pressed charges against the other man for theft. He pulled the flag owned by the man wishing to burn it, out of his hands, and would not give it back.

So your hero stole something, and could be considered a criminal by the laws that are actually real.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

That just about sums up everything for me on the state of this nation.

To me you defending an illegal aliens free speach rights instead of a born american (me posting my opinion) free speach right sums up the state of the nation.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

To me you defending an illegal aliens free speach rights instead of a born american (me posting my opinion) free speach right sums up the state of the nation.

Please provide me with the appropriate links to let me know that this person is indeed an illegal alien, and I will consider the matter further. Or is this just a case of "he looks Mexican, so he must be an illegal."

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Maybe he, is maybe he isnt, the point is he is a "Mexican Activist" trying to burn an american flag. Naturally im on the american side. Which side are you on?

And IMO he didnt steal that flag, he protected it! That flag does not belong to that hispanic guy, it belongs to america. But thats just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm a German living in Britain and I would get upset and would most probably intervene, if someone tried to burn the Union Jack!
There are certain things you just don't do: and burning flags is one of them!

Just my tuppence.

Sammy

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The mexican had a right to burn the flag, do you guys remember that futurama episode when they burned the usa flag.

Man is that what is happening on the streets or just staged.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Maybe he, is maybe he isnt

That maybe undermines your argument, maybe it doesn't.

If this individual is an American citizen, he is afforded every right that any other American is afforded. No less, regardless of what country he is from, and as long as he has been naturalized.

The point is he is a "Mexican Activist" trying to burn an american flag. Naturally im on the american side. Which side are you on?

He can be an activist for the "Let's Give Carl Rove A Bubble Bath" campaign, I don't care, every American citizen is afforded the right to free speech. There is only one side I'm on, and that's my side.

And IMO he didnt steal that flag, he protected it! That flag does not belong to that hispanic guy, it belongs to america. But thats just my opinion.

He did in fact steal that flag. If you see someone smoking in their Porsche you cannot take it and say you "were just protecting it." Oh, and that Hispanic guy, if he's an American citizen, it belongs to him too. There is no selective ownership law that I know of in the United States giving ownership of the flag to one party over another.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Yeah, we all know that the guy had the "right" to burn the American flag. All the while hiding his face behind a bandana. That too, was his "right".

And it's anybody's "right" to defend this bandana-faced coward (yeah, he's a coward, afraid to show his face) and to stand up for his "rights".

But sometimes, enough is enough. Three cheers for the American! Call it an act of civil disobedience if you feel so badly for Mr. Bandana-face.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
And it's anybody's "right" to defend this bandana-faced coward (yeah, he's a coward, afraid to show his face) and to stand up for his "rights".

That actually, was exactly what I thought at that point in the video.

But sometimes, enough is enough. Three cheers for the American! Call it an act of civil disobedience if you feel so badly for Mr. Bandana-face.

Which American? I have yet to see this established that this protester was not an American citizen. I feel badly for no one, I'm just telling it how it is. If this person took an item, any item, from anyone or anywhere, without explicit permission from the owner, it is theft.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
As a citizen (which we cannot determine fromt he video he was) it was his right to do what he did assuming its not creating a public nucience etc.

I thought it was pretty funny that he went to the cop to try to get the flag back at one point.

I say burn away if its what you feel you need to do. America is far stronger than some pointless gesture this guy was making and no doubt will survive.

Its funny though. When an American shows patriotism its often gets dismissed as blind ignorant "americanism" Yet Mexicans, Germans, French, et al show the exact same thing, yet its considered acceptable. The double standard has always amazed me.

[edit on 7/28/07 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Which American? I have yet to see this established that this protester was not an American citizen. I feel badly for no one, I'm just telling it how it is. If this person took an item, any item, from anyone or anywhere, without explicit permission from the owner, it is theft.

Which American? Take a guess.

And I have yet to see Mr. Bandana face's receipt for the flag, so how do I know he didn't rip it off from the store shown at the end of the video?

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Which American? Take a guess.

I wouldn't have asked if I knew.

Which one is it? I (yet again) have not seen anything indicating he wasn't American. In fact, at this point, he could be a war vet, or he could be an illegal. Who's to say?

And I have yet to see Mr. Bandana face's receipt for the flag, so how do I know he didn't rip it off from the store shown at the end of the video?

Nice stretch.

Originally posted by FredT
Its funny though. When an American shows patriotism its often gets dismissed as blind ignorant "americanism" Yet Mexicans, Germans, French, et al show the exact same thing, yet its considered acceptable. The double standard has always amazed me.

Patriotism is great. But if we break it down, I can say that any crime committed is an act of patriotism on my part, but it has to be generally acceptable by the public. This man stole the flag out of the hands of another (presumably) citizen. If he would have stamped out the burning flag with his foot? No harm done. If he would have thrown a bucket of water on the flag? No harm done.

[edit on 7/28/07 by niteboy82]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Just because someone has the legal right to do something, doesn't mean that someone else doesn't have the legal right to object to it. If I were in this situation, I would have done the same thing that man in the film did. I would have done everything I could to prevent that flag from being burned. It's a disgrace to everyone who has fought and died defending that flag and the nation it represents.

It's one thing if this guy wants to protest against the government and its policies. But burning the American flag, legal or not, is a slap in the face to everyone who lives under that flag and everyone who puts their lives on the line defending it. Obviously this moron has the legal right to do it. But that doesn't make it "right". Just as it isn't right for me to stand in front of a mosque and rub the Koran against my butt. Sure, I may have the legal right to do it, but it's not a morally appropriate thing to do. People worship that book and I would not insult their beliefs by degrading their holy book. Just like I wouldn't stand on the streets of a nation and burn its flag in front of their citizens in protest.

You guys can make up whatever excuses you want for this guy. But he is a disgrace and I'm glad someone stood up to him. I found it ironic that he was burning the very same flag of the nation which allows him to pull such stupid and offensive stunts.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Interesting how people mistake patriotism with the rejection of the rights afforded by that nation. The legality of burning a flag is important in its symbolism, in that it says, "I don't agree with something about this country, and the country isn't afraid to let me voice my disagreement."

Now imagine a resident of Beijing is standing in Tiananmen Square and burns the Chinese flag. Police swoop in and arrest the man. Would you like to see that? Is that the attitude you want our country to adopt as well? Criticize and be arrested? Or is flag burning only appropriate in non-US countries? Is that not what differentiates us from them? You know, freedom? Can a country who espouses freedom to the rest of the world "take it"? If so, it sends a powerful message to the rest of the world--we have nothing to hide, we're not perfect, but we're at least working on it, and we put our basic principles regarding freedom on display for all to see.

[edit on 7/29/2007 by yuefo]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
Just because someone has the legal right to do something, doesn't mean that someone else doesn't have the legal right to object to it. If I were in this situation, I would have done the same thing that man in the film did. I would have done everything I could to prevent that flag from being burned. It's a disgrace to everyone who has fought and died defending that flag and the nation it represents.

Obviously this moron has the legal right to do it. But that doesn't make it "right". Just as it isn't right for me to stand in front of a mosque and rub the Koran against my butt. Sure, I may have the legal right to do it, but it's not a morally appropriate thing to do. People worship that book and I would not insult their beliefs by degrading their holy book.
he is a disgrace and I'm glad someone stood up to him. I found it ironic that he was burning the very same flag of the nation which allows him to pull such stupid and offensive stunts.

I couldn't have said it better myself, hence the lengthy quote...

America needs to wake up and realize that we are under an invasion situation. All of this "Requonquista" movement is nothing but a blatant shout in our faces that we will be shoved aside if we continue to sleep! Political correctness will be the death of us if we carry on trying to "play nice". Is anyone else playing nice? NO!!

Freedom of speech, definitely a attribute to be treasured, it is something that makes America great. But does freedom of speech include the right to treason?

"TREASON - This word imports a betraying, treachery, or breach of allegiance.
The Constitution of the United States, Art. III, defines treason against the United States to consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid or comfort. This offence is punished with death. By the same article of the Constitution, no person shall be convicted of treason, unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court. "
www.lectlaw.com...

Focus on above: breach of allegiance.

Citizen? Treason (See above)
Illegal? Immediate Deportation with penalty upon return

The flag may physically be a rectangular piece of cloth with symbols either printed or sewn upon it, but it stands for so much more. Imagine the outrage if an Islamic fundamentalist urinated on a religious Cross in the streets of America. Would that wake people up? Would it?!? I would hope so, whether that person bought it in a store or not.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky Eyes
Focus on above: breach of allegiance.

Yes, why not. Are you a mind reader? Is someone burning a flag advocating the destruction of the country? Revolution? Terrorism? Or are they simply complaining? Wow. Treason, now that's strong. Thank goodness the Supreme Court--you know, the folks who interpret the constitution--disagree with you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join