It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider mating behaviour...pretty cool...creepy as well.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Man that male is going crazy, willing to do anything to mate...o yeah something like I always try to do.

The female spider didn't even move, not even by a millimeter.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
That is very creepy.

Are those the real sounds the spider is making, or added effects?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
That's one loud sound that things making!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
My impression is that the male just does this instinctively out of horniness. It's a display, in my opinion, meant to impress the female that it is healthy. I don't think the female would have been receptive if the male had not done this.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
"Looooooook into my eyes (all four of them)....you are getting turned on by meeeeeeeee!"

That has to be one of the coolest, cutest and most awesome spectacles of nature I've seen in a while.

Trust me, it's a lot more interesting than the singles scene in my town.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole
That is very creepy.

Are those the real sounds the spider is making, or added effects?

Its the real thing, except for the background humming of air conditioner I believe.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
^_^;;; That was cute... the spiders around here did that to an we always thought they were magical and if you kissed them you would be rich....

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
All that effort just to get eaten at the end... perhaps.

Thanks for posting the video, was really odd to watch it, was almost like the spider was saying 'yeah, it's THIS big'.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
"Looooooook into my eyes (all four of them)....you are getting turned on by meeeeeeeee!"

Hahahaha

Originally posted by Chriswok
All that effort just to get eaten at the end... perhaps.

AFAIK, only species where the female is substantially larger than the male, does he get eaten (Occasionally).

I thought it was pretty cool, be I also love spiders.. My girlfriend was like "Why doesn't he just do something serious?" and I had to answer "Well, you like foreplay too, dont you?"

I guess she was all ears and eyes since she was that still.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The Black Widow eats her mate during copulation, hence the name, but I don't think that's usual for most spiders.

Interesting video

[edit on 7/28/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
My impression is that the male just does this instinctively out of horniness. It's a display, in my opinion, meant to impress the female that it is healthy. I don't think the female would have been receptive if the male had not done this.

All sexual mating rituals must be based on hormones and instincts. I do think they think while doing these things, its just there hormones, and insticts like you say.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
What the heck kind of spider was that? It kind of looked like a hobo. I had no idea they made such noises. I guess we learn something every day. I don't think it was that cute. Kind of discusting if you ask me. I have to live with spiders but I do not have to enjoy their company.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
[edit on 29-7-2007 by paigcal]

new topics

top topics

join