It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Deathly Hallows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows is another 'hit' for J.K. Rowling!
She has made this one so exciting from the very first page...
I spent last night like many other's possibly in the millions devouring the book and hanging on each and every page.
Rowling has created an image in my minds eye for every minute detail as she spins this final tale in the popular series of books about Harry Potter a young magician and his trials of growing up in a world of magical creatures and of course battling the dark side both within himself and the outside world.
I have only reached page 247 and am looking forward with anticipation for the rest of the book.
Let me know if you want to discuss this fantastic voyage after you have read the book for yourself. LET US NOT GIVE AWAY THE ENDING, for at least a couple of weeks although we can discuss certain aspects of the book in the mean time.
I have to say that I actually cried when I opened the book and read her dedication...very heartfelt and touching. J.K.Rowling is an excellent example of creativity and courage.

[edit on 05/23/2007 by antar]

SR

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Lupin gets wiped out lol. i could spoil the rest but it's a terrible book and would rather let people suffer reading it. I should of known JK rowling wouldn't kill Harry off cause it's her own only meal ticket any other book full written in the same nonsense style will flop.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If thats all you have to say then you did not read the book! HAHA your WRONG!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I finished it this morning and have to say i loved it. It's by far my favorite of the series and i thought book 5 was gonna be hard to beat.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Yeah, this was a great book, and the best of the series, I thought. In places it seemed to get a bit slow, but the ending was amazing, and wrapped up the series quite well. The ending is always the hardest part of a book, especially in a long series like this, and it got done right.

I'm not going to say who dies, but I had two separate theories, with two different pairs of people (Rowling said 2 main characters would die) and so, in essence, I cheated and I had 4 guesses. I got only one right.

This one is going to make the best movie, I think, once they finally get to it. Epic battles everywhere, and there will be opportunity to use lots of special effects to fit the plot. Plus, Emma Watson should be old enough that it isn't evil to have nasty thoughts about her...

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Not enough death way too much hallows!

They are good books, but they should be read before you reach the age of thirteen, just as well I'm a huge child then really!

Finished it in under 20 hours, so no basta5d could spoil it for me. SR ya meany take your self to a corner and give yourself a good spanking.

Mr. Potter you will be missed.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys, I have my grandchildren here this week, under age 7 and then my kids 12-10-8-and 7 sooo its hard to find time to just read. We did make pumpkin juice today from our first pumpkins and then while they were busy eating zuchinni cookies and pumpkin juice , I slipped back to read a few more chapters. I am at the point where they just escaped aided by my fav. house elf. Ill check back, and talk more for now Ill keep my mouth shut! Alahomorah!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I highly recommend this book. It was a wonderful tale and it ended in only a fashion that J.K. could have dreamt up. With all of the possible outcomes I love the ending. The last couple of chapters were so thrilling and exciting I have to say I cannot WAIT for the movie. As promised I will not give too much away until any other Potter fans have a chance to read this last installment. One hint, when she said at least one main character was going to die, she wasnt kidding!
Riddiculous!

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Just finished it last night, as I had to wait for my wife to finish first.
She wasn't too crazy about it...I rather enjoyed it.

Of course, Rowling has always been a rip-off artist (anyone who doesn't see the carbon copy of the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings themes is really missing something), but she's always done a good job of repackaging the themes into her own world (even "Harry Potter", boy wizard, is a rip-off from the old Trolls movie...but hey, right?).

(Harry - Luke, Voldemort = Darth Vader, the DeathEaters/Ministry = the Empire, D.A. and the Order = the Rebellion, Magic = the Force, the Horocruxes = the corruption of the ring, etc., The Ron/Harry/Hermoine relationship = Han/Luke/Leia, and so on, and so on).

Anyhoo...no real spoilers here from me, but WAY too many die, and in very lackluster and little-mentioned ways. It seems like she was running around like Death on a holiday...

While I liked the ending...it seemed she phoned some of it in (the sorting hat bit, really? Where the F did the S come from, the G had it for goodness sakes!). Also, given the graveyard battle previously, the final showdown seemed rather anti-climatic...(and with very little wrap up, just a fast forward epilogue)

Still though, a good book overall, and a fitting end to the series...(imho)

SR

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Snape is ridiculous but if you enjoyed the book you enjoyed it lol can't fault you for your opinion.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Just finished it in one gigantic go. Looong book, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Ms. Rowling finished it off in grand style. Easily the best book of the series, which I thought would be rather hard to do. It's hard not to talk about it, since alot of you haven't read it.

SR. You grumpy ole Muggle, you. A weeks worth of detention. Bad, bad SR.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Snape is ridiculous but if you enjoyed the book you enjoyed it lol can't fault you for your opinion.

I'll agree there, the explanation for his actions and motives was piss-poor...to say the very least. It's like she decided in the last few pages to completely change his character from what it had been throughout the book...with no real supporting evidence or motivations.

I know some will think she's a top notch writer, but though her stories are engaging, her technique is still pretty shaky, and she does write a lot of nonsense...then again, I'm not a billionaire author...so what do I know, LOL... For all that though, the books are enjoyable for me at least.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I loved the book. I definitely think that it was the best of the series. I read it faster than any of the others, mainly because I didn't want some moron to spoil it for me. Who knows why people do that anyway. (see my thread about not wanting to have it spoiled...) Anyway, very happy with the ending, the amount of action...just about everything.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i think i counted seven "beings" died.
so J.K sort of lied about only two dieing.

but anyway i liked the ending, the battle had something from nearly all of the other books, (skip the first), giant spiders from the chamber of secrets, Buckbeak the hippogryf from the prisoner of Azkaban, (skip), Thestrals from the order of the phoenix and Horcruxs from the half-blood prince.

it never got boring for me, but it was a shame about Dobby and Hedwig such a waste:shk::shk:

Roswell.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

While I liked the ending...it seemed she phoned some of it in (the sorting hat bit, really? Where the F did the S come from, the G had it for goodness sakes!).

Okay, I thought I had missed something when that happened, but apparently Rowling goofed :p

And yeah, Rowling stated 2 main characters would die. I'm not entirely sure which are the 2 she referred to, with all the deaths, but my thinking is that it was the two at the end.

I think it's rather remarkable how much Rowling improved her writing from the first book to the last. The first one, honestly, wasn't that great, and if my cousin hadn't recommended them to me (when there was only up to Goblet of Fire out) I wouldn't even have gone past that one, most likely. Each one got better as the series progressed, I thought.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'm guessing the "S" came from the "H" the same way it did in chamber of secrets... help for those who need it.

And come on it was magic jeeze.

It was Godric's after all

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
As for Snape being rediculous. The plot twist was really implied all along from book one on. Seriously, why else would Snape hate Harry's dad so very passionatly? Unrequited love...makes bastards of us all, if we let it...

She (Rowlings) could definitely done more with him, though. Other than the three main characters, he was the one she did the most with.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I felt rather satisfied with snape/Lilly thing, what shocked me was the childrens names in the very end! All cool with me though. I also liked what they did with Umbridge (never liked her). Like I said before I think, I loved Professor Mcgonnegal in the hallway during the big battle, I could just picture her riding the galloping hords and leading all of the charmed desks to battle.
I just have to say maybe I am a bit of a kid with a big imagination. So for me to be able to escape the overly serious adult life into a kids book or in this case a series I could sink my teeth into, was fun.
Occulous Reparo!

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The book was great (of course). If you're a fan of the series you'll enjoy it tremendously. If not, please stop reading this and go back and read the series. Although I thought it was good, it was missing some of the fun school-yard antics that the other books had. I missed that part. I also missed that we didn't get to laugh at the Dursley's at the beginning. I was hoping that something uncomfortable would happen to them before they were whisked away to safety. Harry should have been able to use the Hallows to bring back DD but I guess it was best for him to remain a memory. The Hallows did seem sort of pointless in the end.

I predict a book 7 and 3/4 will eventually be written to fill in the gaps after He who must not be named(just incase the jinx is still in place) was defeated. There's got to be a whole book worth of stuff in there.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Gaz, I agree totally about the need for the 7 3/4. It would be embarrassing though for J.K. after having retired. I used to visit the official site to play some of the games (Homing Hippogriffs my fav.)There was also a section where fans could write different story lines that I found very interesting.

Lumous!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join