It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

46% of Teens Purposefully Hurt Themselves

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Well you can say a prayer for them but dont ever get the idea you are going to beat them. And im definetly going to say a prayer for your kids since you are a self proclamed child beater.

btw im a guy not a lady and im raising my kids alone so maybe I do have a clue.

Good for you! Raising children alone is a task.

However, your attitude needs serious adjustment. Your loyalties, however idiotic, can wait.

Never did I mention abusing a child, but there is not a DAMN thing wrong with administering a stern smack to the ass of a misbehaving child. This is how I was raised, how my parents were raised, and furthermore how my grandparents were raised. Sort of. They got beat with boards.

Trying to raise a child without physical punishment is a recipe for disaster and heartbreak.

As before, I will say a prayer for the well-being of your children.

edit; Also, I have no children. However I gladly accept your prayers for their future wellbeing, which will be ensured by stern punishment administered for misbehavior.

[edit on 7-22-2007 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Yeah, well, maybe I do need some adjustment to my attitude but it just ticks me off to here someone say 'beat the kids'.
I spend a lot of time with my kids and I never spank them and they have no behavioral problems. Matter of fact they are awesome. And after all the good times ive been having with them I hear someone call them 'damn kids'. I take that personal.
You are calling my kids that when you say that.
Maybe if you had kids you would be defensive like me.

And ill try to work on my anger I agree.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I gave a star to your post for the maturity and thought expressed within. I have to apologize to the OP for taking this thread a few MILES off track, but I think it was a necessary evil.

Thanks for the civil reply, I know it probably took a lot to apologize.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It really does show that someone is clueless if they say that someone is cutting to get attention. I'm having trouble thinking of a way to really respond to that due to it's stupidity, but I suppose that some people aren't able to see things as clearly as others, so I'll put it simply.

Depression. Depression has many causes, and many symptoms. These "symptoms" include vast changes in behavior, thought process, perception, and so forth. Among these changes in behavior are things that would be considered self-destructive. There are deep psychological reasons that self-mutilation is performed.

en.wikipedia.org... Spend some time educating yourself. I did.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
These kids are seeking attention imo.

Parents need to be there for the kids to help them through any problems in there life. Then the kids wouldnt do these types of things to get the attention they are missing.

Even though it's been said..

Emo kids are the ones who do it for attention..that's a joke by the way.

Self harm is most of the time not about attention, though in some cases it can be,
I don't deny that, however for the majority it has nothing to do with wanting attention.

I did'nt want attention when I cut myself, the opposite in fact, I did'nt want anyone to
know about it, and I certainly did'nt want attention, in fact it could be said, that basically it
was attention
that lead to it in the first place.

Oh, and JohnMike I actually starred your last post, and actually agree with
you on something.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
So what you guys are saying is self mutilation is NOT a cry for help in some shape form or way?

I dont believe that.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
What we are saying is it can be in some cases, but in most cases it's used as a coping mechanism.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I do it.
I don't do it for attention.
I do it because it makes me feel better.
For me it's along the lines of when someone is upset and they go have a cigarette.

It's also one of those things that when you aren't the person doing it, you wouldn't understand it, no matter how good your intentions are. Like it was posted earlier, in some people it can prevent them from doing something worse, like in my case, from a bottle of Vicodin.

So yeah, we know we're messed up. And more kids suffer like this than most people know.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join