It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fugitive Australian lawyer Julian Moti was sworn-in as the Solomon Islands Attorney-General

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Fugitive Australian lawyer Julian Moti was sworn-in as the Solomon Islands Attorney-General

www.abc.net.au

The ceremony went ahead despite Mr Moti's suspension by the Solomon's Public Service Commission.

The commission last year blocked him from taking up the post due to the serious nature of child sex allegations brought against him in Australia.

Australian dismay

Meanwhile, the Federal Government and the Opposition have expressed dismay at the swearing-in of Mr Moti.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
How is this possible?

I realise that this is probably not very important to a lot of people but I am shocked. How did Moti manage to skip bail?
Why hasn't Moti been extradited?

This is totally unacceptable.

www.abc.net.au

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777

How is this possible?

I realise that this is probably not very important to a lot of people but I am shocked. How did Moti manage to skip bail?
Why hasn't Moti been extradited?

This is totally unacceptable.

www.abc.net.au

It's a strange one, alright. It's even stranger how he was sworn in as attorney general, while under suspension from the Solomon's public service.

From the same story:

The ceremony went ahead despite Mr Moti's suspension by the Solomon's Public Service Commission.

The sad thing is, we probably never would of heard of him if it weren't for riots in the Solomon's, and him falling on the wrong side of them politically, in regards to the Australian government. The case in question did occur in Vanuatu, after all. I don't know if he could be extradited to Australia for a crime he committed in Vanuatu.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...
Sources have told The Australian that police launched the investigation into Mr Moti, who was to be installed as Solomon Island's new attorney-general and who is currently in hiding in that country's high commission in Port Moresby, in June despite the case being closed for more than seven years.

[...]

Mr Moti was arrested in PNG at the request of Australia on Friday while en route to Honiara, where he was to be sworn in as attorney-general, over an alleged rape of a 13-year-old girl in 1997 while working in Vanuatu.

[...]
Vanuatu Police Commissioner Patu Navoko Lui said he had regarded the case against Mr Moti - who resigned in September as adjunct professor at Bond University on the Gold Coast - closed after it was dismissed by a Vanuatu magistrate in 1999. There have been allegations Mr Moti had paid for the magistrate to attend a course in Australia.

It makes me wonder, where's the justice for the girl involved in all of this?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by fingapointa
The case in question did occur in Vanuatu, after all. I don't know if he could be extradited to Australia for a crime he committed in Vanuatu.

Yes, that would be the obstacle. Damn!

...closed after it was dismissed by a Vanuatu magistrate in 1999. There have been allegations Mr Moti had paid for the magistrate to attend a course in Australia.

Grrrr oh it makes me so mad. This is corruption at its worst.

It makes me wonder, where's the justice for the girl involved in all of this?

None, none at all.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Update

Seems the Government is left to hope:

"The Australian Government hopes that the report will be made public by the Somare Government," Mr Downer said.

The report's finding - that there was a high level of collaboration and collusion between Mr Somare and Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare to get Mr Moti to the Solomons - is expected to further inflame Canberra's tensions with both Pacific countries.

Truth on Moti must come out!

Hope?? Pathetic!

If and when the report is released to the public, what ruddy difference will it make?

top topics

join