It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappearing thread, disappearing posts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
There was a thread in the Aliens&UFOs section for a day or so entitled something like, "Alien piloting a mini-UFO." The OP claimed he could see an alien and UFO in a picture of a cloud formation he posted, and he was asking for comments. There wer about a dozen, most of them disclaiming the entire idea and suggesting he get his eyes checked. One member, Palasheea, said she looked at the photo and discovered it was a negative. She asked that the positive be posted as well. I posted on her post saying essentially, good job and suggesting we had a 'mini-Hoax' on our hands.

Next time I came on ATS, the thread was gone. I looked on page two. I looked at 'my profile-> posts' and couldn't find my message. I looked on palasheea's posts and couldn't find hers either.

Now normally on a thread like that it either goes on awhile or gets labeled a hoax and the OP pilloried. This happened with Ghost Raven, for example.

So my question is, what happened to the thread? If it WAS a hoax, shouldn't Palasheea AT LEAST get an acknowledgement that she nailed it? Maybe some applause? My real issue is: This thread, and all of the posts, mostly negative, seems to have disappeared! What is the policy in regards to this kind of incident? Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It's AboveTopSecret.com way of censoring and cleaning up what they believe is junk or of a threat. Though, mostly everything is junk, to much talk and babbal, no offense.

/7A

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It sounds like it was Globally ignored. They do that while they are deciding what to do about a specific poster or thread if either breaks the T&C. Even though 7Ayreon may disagree on this point, it is not really censoring as after they decide what to do about the poster, the thread will reappear. That is unless it is a total violation, such as repeat threads, spam, or advertising, then it will end up in the waste bin.

At least that is my take on it, maybe a Mod can further clarify.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thank you defcon, I suppose that can be a defensive take on there behalf, jk.
Long time no see, I will have to go in chat and catch up with the gossup.

/7A

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I have not been in there much myself lately.
Maybe I’ll stop in later on tonight if you’re on.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
my guess is, is that it found its way to the "Trash Bin".

I personally have a spot there dedicated to my retired threads.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It's a shame there is such a thing called a, "Trash Bin". My opinion stands for all disclosure for all threads and posts despite what they may contain. Sort of a special "open" location, would that not close the idea ATS does censorship? Someone? Anyone?

/7A

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon

My opinion stands for all disclosure for all threads and posts despite what they may contain. Sort of a special "open" location, would that not close the idea ATS does censorship?

A good place to start with that would be the "Complaints/Suggestions" form located in the Member Center.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Nah, I don't want to go there, I would feel like a slave coming up with a brilliant idea to someone who wouldn't congratulate me of my idea.

/7A

EDIT

So basically, it's clear that ATS did not think for the people but for in fact themselves and who they may be with. I mean 10 years to come up with this stuff 'for the people' is slow moving. It's like it's going through a court of law or something fishy like that.

/7A

[edit on 6/7/2007 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

My opinion stands for all disclosure for all threads and posts despite what they may contain.

Well, look at it this way. This site has over 3 million posts on it.

A can't give an actual percentage , because I don't know that; but it is very clear that there are a LOT of threads that are totally worthless.

Duplicate threads is one, and threads that go on and on about apparent hoaxes are another.

And also, threads where nothing is going on other that bickering back and forth between disagreeing members, that add nothing to the topic.

Not to mention some of the more outlandish claims being made, with no evidence to back it up.

If it were up to me, I would have a housekeeping right waway, to clear away all of the junk. And then perhaps weekly maintenance.

Many many threads are at the bottom of most forums for instance, from back in 2002. One post, no other contributions, just dead space.

And all of the locked threads, due to duplication and other reasons, I would delete those altogether as well, if they do not add any value by continuing to take up space.

But thats just me.

--But I do understand where you are coming from in thinking that it is censorship. *I think* But I do not believe there is any malice intentions in closing or deleting any threads.

3 and a half cents

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
That's a lot to say Mechanic. Really, it's not that expensive to get a dedicated server and transfer an archive to it, for it.

EDIT:

Not to mention compression.

/7A

[edit on 6/7/2007 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This particular thread was kind of innocuous, though. I would think that labeling it a hoax and locking it would serve as a warning to others. It was the members who were closing in on it. Perhaps the OP DID reply and admit to it and I just never saw it.

From a philosophical angle, this is troubling. The main thrust of ATS is to expose organizations who are keeping information from us, whether it's 911 or Disclosure or NWO, or your local government. When things 'just disappear' isn't that the same thing using the same tactics 'we' deplore? I hate to build up a straw man to criticize, but the problem is I don't know what hapened, leaving me with nothing but speculation. I know it's 'their sandbox' and all, but that response gets a little old.

I will ask for a clarification for this issue.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
If it were up to me, I would have a housekeeping right waway, to clear away all of the junk. And then perhaps weekly maintenance.

LOL Looking at your list above if it were up to you , seems there would be few threads left

Good thing it isn't

Global ignore sounds good... I have seen that effect before, but why speculate? A simple U2U to admin ought to clear it up

But junque and clutter do take up space... maybe if every viewer on ATS would send em just 1.00 to help buy a bigger hard drive

Just imagine how many viewers? Now THAT would be a super computer

[edit on 7-7-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

It's a shame there is such a thing called a, "Trash Bin". My opinion stands for all disclosure for all threads and posts despite what they may contain. Sort of a special "open" location, would that not close the idea ATS does censorship? Someone? Anyone?

/7A

Someone? Anyone? ... Willing to pony up the expense of Archiving said "I Sell Cell Phones", "UR NOT GUNNA BILEVE THIS!!!!!!", and "MY GOLDPHISH IS AN ALIEN HERE'S PROOF" ?

Someone? Anyone? ... NO One? ... C'mon!?
There has to be Some one sitting on a few hundred bucks each month. No?

I mean, it Really is for a worthy cause.

There are a multitude of "Whatever for Dummies" books.
Why not have a digital "Archive of Idiocy"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All-in-all, we attempt to keep the boards clear of "one hit wonder"-adverts, cluttering dupes, nonsensical nonsense, and those that simply have no place here ... based on the Terms and Conditions.

Would you rather an ATS replete with All of the above? One that would entail and require even More sifting through dirt for that One gem? Littered with that which So many are All too quick to Complain about?
I, for one, would certainly hope not. That, in itself, is what inspired my registration and participation in this Community. The only one I had ever felt inclined to sign up for, at the time. A cut above, if you will, and I'm personally grateful that it remains just that. A Cut Above.

Typically the few and far between that may warrant further consideration or discussion are afforded just that, usually due to member concerns or inquiries. The remaining 99.9% find themselves quite comfortable, and in the company of "like kind", in the Bin.

Of course, archiveofidiocy.com is still available for registration. Get it while you can!

$.02

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2cSomeone? Anyone? ... Willing to pony up the expense

LOL well since I suggested it I got my $1.00 ready but I don't see a paypal donate button

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Why not lock and move offending threads to a rejected area that members can still access for up to 30 days before they are auto deleted. This would allow members time to see what happened as well as satisfy the need to clean up the board.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I would like them to be put somewhere, I think it would be cool every now and then to thumb through them.
Nothing should ever be deleted after that its gone forever. How many times have you thrown something away and needed it couple days later.
Do not delete! You might accidently delete something important one day that was assumed garbage.

new topics

top topics

join