It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOW Bush claims his authority to pardon Libby comes from the Constitution.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
I must have missed the news flash...

Could someone please show me where President George Bush pardoned Lewis "Scooter" Libby?

Anyone?

I didn't think so.

When Bush's term is nearing its end, Bush will give a full pardon, maybe even give a refund check
for the "fine" and Scooter will gas up and take off into the sunset- free of any wrong doing.
You call it commutation? I call it pardon.
He's exercising his rights afforded to him by the US constitution, you know, that piece of paper.....

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Mirthful Me, the Power of Pardon is mentioned in the Constitution...But you'd have to look at Congressional Journals to find that Congress defined different levels of the Pardon (Sorry, I lost my source-link). Libby got a "Partial Pardon," which basically means that some of Libby's judgement still remains intact. However, Bush could turn around & issue a "Full Pardon" whenever he wants (which would wipe out all of the judement penalties on Libby.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Please note: George W. Bush has not pardoned Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

Once again.... Just to be clear... George W. Bush has not pardoned Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

This might be a newsflash to some... George W. Bush has not pardoned Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

Yeah just keep repeating that line MM.

There may be some here that fail to fathom the chasm between a commuted sentence, and a pardon

Oh now we are back to the 'chasm'? Didnt I already point out your doublespeak?

... I suggest one put it in the perspective of a death row inmate...

OK, lets try that.

If your sentence is commuted, you spend the rest of your life in prison,

Oh, you mean like the 'commuted' scooter libby is spending the rest of his life in jail?

but if you are pardoned.... You are walking down the street.

Oh, you mean like scooter libby is walking down the street?
Your analogy sucks.
There is no chasm and I dont know why you cling to that.

If any of you are unable (or unwilling) to recognize this as a "legal chasm" then your agenda has outstripped your ability to "deny ignorance"

Oh now you qualify it with 'legal' chasm.

Apparently you are unable (or unwilling) to recognize that scooter getting commuted means he is walking around on the streets and scooter getting pardoned means he would be walking around on the streets, and that is not a chasm. Either way he is walking around on the streets.
Same guy, same streets, simply a different word for how he got there when he should be sitting in a cell.

I can be of no further assistance to you.

You never have been of any 'assistance' to me.

As Forrest Gump would say...

Life is like a box of chocolates?

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
He has the authority to pardon who ever he wants to because he is the Commander-In-Cheif.
But he owes it to that Gd'd piece of paper.
I wonder how his peers feel about what he said?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lightstorm
So... Since another president pardoned people it makes it ok for Bush to pardon his crony?

Gee, FDR nuked two cities and didn't get in trouble, I guess I can nuke Houston and Dallas and not get in trouble. What? FDR did it before me and didn't get in trouble.

I'm sure that someone else has already pointed this out to you but FDR did not drop nukes on any city, since the atomic bomb was not available until after his death; you are thinking of Harry Truman who was the President who ordered the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Don't they teach this stuff in school anymore?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join