It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Army Build-up Fuels Anxiety on Iraq border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Turkish Army Build-up Fuels Anxiety on Iraq border

news.yahoo.com

GORUMLU, Turkey (Reuters) - Turkey sent more tanks to its border with
Iraq on Wednesday in a military build-up that is fuelling U.S. concern about a possible incursion into northern Iraq against Kurdish rebels.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Isn't this nice. Let's add just a bit more pressure to the quagmire and see what we can get. I really hope they don't go in because this will cause some serious escalation in Iraq and everywhere else.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
To be fair to the Turks, this is nothing new and they've been saying they'd do so since 2003, especially if the Kurds were pushing for independence.

This whole Kurdish thing has been going on for some time now.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
To be fair to the Turks, this is nothing new and they've been saying they'd do so since 2003, especially if the Kurds were pushing for independence.

I guess your right, but it sure is going to put a strain on everything in Iraq, except for all the munitions dealers selling to everyone.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

afew 100 years more like I believe.

I do not feel that Turkey will invade because it will probably cost them dearly with the European Union.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Indeed, it certainly wouldn't help in Iraq that much, but from their perspective with the internal issues Turkey has, they have to be seen to do something.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
afew 100 years more like I believe.

Well, yes...

Originally posted by infinite
I do not feel that Turkey will invade because it will probably cost them dearly with the European Union.
]

They won't accede to the EU anyway. France has softened it's stance on Turkey, to that of a "privileged relationship", but without any formal recognition of Turkey and normalisation of relations with the Greeks, it ain't going to happen. Also, there are fears of a massive influx of migrants from Turkey which could de-stabalise the EU.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

They won't accede to the EU anyway. France has softened it's stance on Turkey, to that of a "privileged relationship", but without any formal recognition of Turkey and normalisation of relations with the Greeks, it ain't going to happen. Also, there are fears of a massive influx of migrants from Turkey which could de-stabalise the EU.

I'm not sure.
Of course the Greek issue is a high price they have to pay.

And any invasion isn't going to be supported by the Americans either. Washington will not want a war in the North.

new topics

top topics

join