It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

leg cramps for no reason....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I don't know why I get these, but I've gotten them for years. My right leg's calf (And only that leg for some unknown reason) likes to cramp up for no reason. I'm usually not doing anything strenuous, I can be just walking, or sleeping, and I get these horrible craps that cause my entire calf to tighten, and stay that way for days. It's incredibly painful. Anyone know why this happens?

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I get leg cramps too...the only thing I can recommend is to drink plenty of water and take potassium supplements.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Potassium supplements, or simply a banana a day should suffice. It could also be dehydration, or an electrolyte imbalance. Some medications cause cramping as well.

Article on causes of cramping

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It's usually to do with excess salt intake. Reduce this and you'll be
OK.

Be careful about taking potassium supps - they can cause some nasty heart problems. I'll not go into the science too much but they are dangerous because they are both the main constituants of the cardiac conduction system. An excess of these, particularly potassium, can cause heart arrythmias (hyperkalaemia). Taking a small amount should not cause any real problems (such as in food products), just be aware of it.

It stops the cramp by "neutralising" the sodium in the muscle. It is safer (and healthier) just to reduce the salt intake instead of trying to neutralise it.

Hope this helps
Paddy

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the advice. I have tried a lot of that, and don't know why this happens. I'm not big on salt, and I do take vitamins. What really gets me, is it is always the same leg. Is there some reason it picks that one leg?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think if its something that keep occurring that you should see the doctor,

There's things that may just need to be tested like high cholesterol levels or diabetes and if there any family history of heart disease,

As with any occuring problem, Its best to get a Doctor to check you over and make sure your getting the best treatment for it if there's a cause,

Its more that likely nothing, But have it looked at anyway, cant do any harm eh?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
You could have "Restless Leg Syndrome"- I used to think it meant you couldnt keep your legs still, but it involves cramping and a feeling like something is crawling inside your legs. It also feels like your legs want to get away from you, and creepie crawly feelings :shk: I have it and i sympathize with you.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I haven't thought about that. I will have to hit the doc man and see if he can figure it out.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I think its partially bad blood circulation in the legs. I'm no Doctor. I just ramble semi-intelligent things about all the fourms

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
i read nothing. so someone couldve already said this, cramps can be caused by dehydration.

so uhhh get with that hydrolysis

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
i read nothing. so someone couldve already said this, cramps can be caused by dehydration.

so uhhh get with that hydrolysis

I do believe kolonopins can be prescribed for restless leg syndrome

to me? they're chill pills

and i'm feelin' fiiiine.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Unfortunately I have very big leg muscles so when they cramp up (usually whilst enjoying a lazy sleep in) the pain is intense. I have read that in extreme situations cramping muscles in your calf can even break bones. I often get a little nervous of this.

During the cramp attack I find that by rotating my foot up at the toes this unloads some of the pain until the attack wears off. Massage helps if you can reach the affected calf.

I always find that cramps for me come when I less active and unfit.

If you can get out and have some regular exercise, just like a couple of good walks each week, this should work as a preventative.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

If you can get out and have some regular exercise, just like a couple of good walks each week, this should work as a preventative.

The last time I had a cramp attack, i had been getting out and walking every day, and had done so for weeks. It got so bad that the next day I couldn't even walk on it.

I am going to mention it to the doc. See what he says.

join