It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major solar flares

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
There is suppose to be a major solar flare in December 2012. Unless you rich or elite, you wont be able to afford a shelter or go into the mountain retreats. So how do you survive a large solar flare?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Where did you get the information from? Have you got a link to a reliable website? Thnks

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I was using it as a reference, I am not trying to prove anything, just asking how one could survive a large solar flare. You have the net, do I really need to give you a link?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
For a link? www.viewzone.com... This is a reliable source.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Here's a link for you. But you have the net right? And I assume you can use google. survive2012.com...

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
I was using it as a reference, I am not trying to prove anything, just asking how one could survive a large solar flare. You have the net, do I really need to give you a link?

You said there was supposed to be a flare in 2012, i was just curious as to where you got that information and yes if you make a statement like that it shouldn't be up to me to trudge through the internet looking for something to back it up. Maybe you should have left that part out and just asked what one would do in theevent of a major solar flare?

As for the link, i question its reliability.

If there was a major solar flare i doubt that there would be a lot we could do about it. Nuclear bunkers could probably save a lot of lives in the short term but i dont think we would stand much chance over time as most if not all of the ecosystems would have been broken and killed off.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Am I missing something here. Have there not already been major solar flares.

Did not a major solar flare knock out or diminish some satellite operations some years back??

Solar flare activity has an effect on the DX layers in our atmosphere ...which enhance DXing or long range transmission for Amateur Radio operators.

Wonder how the ancients handled major solar flares??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
From the Harvard Press:

According to NOAA, a G5-class geomagnetic storm can have the following effects:

Power systems: Widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems can occur, some grid systems may experience complete collapse or blackouts. Transformers may experience damage.

Spacecraft operations: May experience extensive surface charging, problems with orientation, uplink/downlink and tracking satellites.

Other systems: Pipeline currents can reach hundreds of amps, HF (high frequency) radio propagation may be impossible in many areas for one to two days, satellite navigation may be degraded for days, low-frequency radio navigation can be out for hours, and aurora has been seen as low as Florida and southern Texas (typically 40° geomagnetic lat.).

Less that 2 minutes, using google.

Your welcome.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Yes solar flares happen quite often but if you look at the OPs link we are talking doomsday level. That is why i questioned it. As you can probably tell im very anti-doomsday 2012 and it just seems like a thread for the sake of a thread... what if. A solar flare large enough to end the world... What if...?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Here are a couple of things to think about as far as Solar flares:

-outtage of some communication equipment. Several years ago, a solar flare took down all the "pay at the pump" systems for gas stations where I lived--they would only take cash. One station couldn't open their cash register, and was making change by hand. Most new oil wells and pipelines are monitored via an internet using wireless tech. So anything that takes down your cellphone net will probably shut down oil production and pipelines as well.

-Damage to satelites might affect GPS equipment.

Does anyone know if the effects are similar to an EMP as far as damage to electronica goes?

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
maybe its not solar flares we should be worried about but cornal mass ejections if that much solar plasma ever got through earth's magnetic field well lets just say i hope the roaches like us well done.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
How would one survive it? I think thats the core question. I heard it said that 40deg to 60deg north latitude is the best place for cultural continuation in such an event. Cities are not a good choice. Also stay away from nuclear reactors. The bulk of which are dispersed on the east coast. Also keep a good distance from the coastal areas. Seskachewan and Alberta canada are good choices. Thats just logistics. MRE's, fresh water lakes, Amature Radio Operation, like minded folk. Thats the best I can do avoid the killshot.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

The prospect of a major solar storm occurring in the next couple years isn't anything new. NASA has been talking about it for a few years now.

Some folks think it's potentially disastrous, others think it's no worse than other solar maximums we've had in the past. All agree that we are in for a larger-than-normal solar maximum in the next 1-2 years. Most agree it will begin sometime around 2011-2012.

It's already known that solar activity is on a roughly 11-year cycle, including maximum (peak) and minimum (low) solar flare activity. Dr. Dikpati, a NASA scientist, believes that the 11-year cycle is part of another, larger cycle that occurs about every 10 short cycles, sortof a cycle within a cycle. So, every 110 years or so, the larger cycle peaks, causing a huge influx of solar activity. According to him, the next solar maximum will be the peak of the larger cycle. Many other scientists concur.

science.nasa.gov...

Back in the late 1800's, a large solar flare hit the U.S. and was powerful enough to melt telegraph wires and cause fires. Imagine if such a flare were to occur today in our "wired" society. In the mid-1990's (can't remember exactly), a good chunk of Canada lost power for about 24 hours due to a large solar flare.

As for the OP, preparing for a solar flare is no different than any other disaster scenario. Solar flares, no matter how powerful, are not particularly dangerous to organic life such as you and me, your dog, plants, etc. It is similar to a massive pulse of electromagnetic energy that can easily blow up power transformers and disrupt all types of electronic communication. Pretend your house suddenly got disconnected from the electrical grid, city water and gas. That's how you prepare.

The "disaster" caused by a massive solar flare is one of social disruption as a result of loss of basic services such as electricity, city water, the Internet, cell phones, radio, etc. It the flare was REALLY powerful, it could potentially heat up anything metal, including the electrical wiring in your house, causing fires and such.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
There is actually an alert out for a solar storm March 17th and 18th according to www.spaceweather.com They predict auroras to be seen as far south as southern Illinois.

top topics

join