It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Happening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well i just signed on to ats,only to be greated by one of those click "close" to make this go away advertisements.

When i started here not even 2 years ago,the advertising was minimal.
I'm not exactly complaining,but i thought ATS was somewhat above those types of "you have to make me go away"Ads.

[edit on 12-5-2007 by toraylin]

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think I know the one you are talking about. Only when you scroll over it does it pop up.

Try the Ad Hitlist if you want to try and get it off ATS.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I just noticed that thread was very similar to this one. I do understand the reason for having advertisements. But I'm just not sure about the types of advertisements on here.Do these really pertain to ATS? Other then the fact that it helps support us? Seems like it defeats the whole Deny Ignorance motto.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't get any advertisement at all I am using FF2 and my settings are at basically default. I have ATS set to accept pop-ups and save cookies till expire from all of ATS. I don't have any additional software running, only AVG, Zone Alarm and Fire Fox.
Some times I feel left out

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I would have to say though.Almost all the ads on the right hand side bar seem to be pretty fitting and what we are about. I'm doing alot of corporate propeganda work these days,sorry for spewing about it.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It's possible that SO is unaware of such an advertisement. I know I've never seen one, and if I did, I would find it just as irritating as you do.

Obviously advertising is important to keep everything here running smoothly and free, but there is a limit to what SO will tolerate in the name of advertsing income. If you see an ad you think is inappropriate or just downright obnoxious, please advise SO of it via this thread:

Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

A minimal amount of information to help SO track down the offending advertiser is requested.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
we cannot remove offending ads without more information:
- screen shot
- ad network (the domain used in the click redirect)
- advertisers

Sadly, unless you can provide him with this info, he can't do a thing about the offending ad because he won't know which ad network it's coming from.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Wait a minute,he doesnt really control what "they" put on here? I see,that changes everything.Makes more sense now. Thanks for that info,it was only the one time it happened.

But next time ill get a screen shot. Thanks guys.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm no expert on internet advertising, but the general idea is that unless you are in a position to have advertisers lining up to be on your website there is a middleman between the advertiser and the site. Here's some links about internet advertising:

Ad networks
Ad serving

The reason the ads on the side seem more topical is because Google has an ad program that searches the page for keywords before it chooses the ad to use.

Originally posted by toraylin
But next time ill get a screen shot.

You also need to get the other two pieces of info, they are very important. Without them, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. By getting the ad network, SO will know which service is hosting the ad. By getting him the advertiser info, he doesn't have to go through all of their ads, only the ones from that advertiser.

You should be able to find out the ad network url by right-clicking on the ad and choosing properties. If that doesn't work, you can try clicking the ad and watching the pop-up to see if the ad network url shows up before it redirects to the ad.

new topics

top topics

join