It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New british submarine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   

New british submarine

news.bbc.co.uk

Last Updated: Monday, 7 May 2007, 16:49 GMT 17:49 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Alien submarine breaks technical barriers
Brian Milligan
Business reporter, BBC News, Barrow, Cumbria

The Astute is seen as the most advanced submarine yet

Inside the submarine
"It's a mean looking beast. I think it looks like the alien," remarks Chris Nelson of BAE Systems, as we walk round the front of the Royal Navy's new Astute submarine in Barrow.

Looming above us is a construction shed 12 stories high. Within it are three nuclear-powered submarines at different stages of construction.

And as a huge, red neon sign reminds the workforce, the first one is now just 32 days away from launch.

But to judge by the scaffolding surrounding it, it's hard to believe it's going to be ready on time.

"I'm determined it will be," says operations director Nigel Ward. "However it's a nuclear submarine, and lots of things can go wrong."

Secrets intact

Under all its covers, Astute is a technological phenomenon. Its nuclear reactor means it'll never need refuelling in the whole of its 25 year life.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
What do you think is this sub going to be a world beater?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
If they put trident on it will be as dangerous as any current nuclear sub, better then anything LEDC (third world) could put up and comparable to any from the US and other European countries. Although with recent budget cuts chances are the UK won’t get many. Remember the USA has more officers in its navy than all the personnel in the entire UK navy.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Awesome! I was expecting to see an article about some little dinky diesel boat or something.

Three new nuclear subs...great work, carry on!

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well I dont think they will be putting trident on it... No picks off the final drive, They might get the trident contact because of it.

new topics

top topics

join