It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor finds spiders in boy's ear

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I'm fairly certain that is an urban legend. I heard a lot of junk like that when I had dreads. They used to say it about women with beehive hairdos as well.

As I suspected, Snopes has killed it:

www.snopes.com...

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Majormalfuncton,

Hello,
I don’t know if I’ll trust snopes, calling something like this wrong. Giving the fact of what we have learn here already. That is insects do tend to make a home in our ears, hair, or wherever they seem fit. LOL.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ears, yes, but hair? Doubtful. Dreads are pretty dense. It would be difficult for a spider to set up housekeeping in there. And they are by nature usually greasy, as it's best not to wash them but once a week or less. I don't see spiders enjoying that sort of living arrangement.

When I had dreads, my scalp was still sensitive as well. I would have felt spiders walking around on my scalp.

I think the spiders in the dreads thing is more of a discriminatory statement against people with dreads, because dreads are often seen as disgusting, dirty, etc. Saying someone died of spider bites from spiders hidden in dreads is a way of casting aspersions on the dread-wearer.

So I think I'll believe Snopes on this one. It's different than having them go into a cave-like ear. THAT gives me the heebie-jeebies.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I'm fairly certain that is an urban legend. I heard a lot of junk like that when I had dreads. They used to say it about women with beehive hairdos as well.

I worked with a woman who used to cut hair and one day a homeless woman with ratty knotted beehive hairdo walked in and asked for a shampoo and a cut, she had the $$ so my friend had to oblige, when my friend had the woman lay her head back to wash it in the sink A LIVE MOUSE RAN OUT OF HER HAIR INTO THE SINK. Needless to say, my friend never cut hair again! True story.
I would not have believed this story if I did not hear it from the womans mouth. I think that its really a matter of how often you wash your hair and not what style you have.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Eeeeuuuwwwwhhhhh

That's like the brain-eating ear worm.

Scabies - Picked it up in the bush, off some fall leaves, likely. Freakin hideous - because of weird skin, already don't have fingerprints - they ate all the skin off my hands. Giant patches of skinless fingers.

Would kill them all, but the apartment washer wasn't getting hot enough to kill the eggs, it was like a recurring living day mare.

Worst experience with bugs was scabies. Those plagues predicted where they say things like it will have the power to sting and not kill, it will be skin disease.

Imagine having no skin on your fingertips - thousands of nerve endings concentrated there - hellish, to say the least. The hands - man that was hard.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Oh god...

I put off posting in this thread to learn more but ugh...so nasty...

I hate spiders so much...well the tiny ones that build webs and can crawl into little places.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me at all as a few years ago my best friend went to get her ears candled and when all the junk came out there was a baby spider in it all.

They say we eat on average something like 6 spiders a year.. whoever they are!!

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Death of a Spider (or moth, or fly, or bee)

Anyone ever take a drink out of a glass, or Soda can, say, at a picnic?
Just as you are swallowing, you realize there is a foreign object passing over your tongue, across your palette.

What do you do?
Cough a little to bring it forward, so you can find out what it is?
Or...just go ahead and swallow?

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JeSuisAKittyCat
They say we eat on average something like 6 spiders a year.. whoever they are!!

That is actually a myth. Link

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Spacedoubt,

Um, for me I will cough it up. I don’t won’t to swallow a foreign object that I don’t know what it is.

A few years ago, I kissed a bee. (LOL) I was laying out getting a tan and I had a can of Pepsi. The bee was right there as I lifted up the can to my lips. I screamed and throw the can down. It can have my drink, I didn’t want it after that. The bee didn’t sting me. It was it’s lips on mine. LOL.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
That is just horid!! When I was younger I was told that earwigs can eat the bones in your ear or nose, Since then I've never been comfortable with insects. Im not frightened of them just dont want them anywhere near me!

[edit on 9-5-2007 by Kurokage]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
i used to be afaraid of ever insect, i would scream and run( my cousin's doing) he would always throw insects at me and say "run there poisonous" now im glad to know that they arent poisonous

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
I had a fly trapped in my ear and it was soo scary, they had to kill it with baby oil then i was told to go the the emergency room to have it out,

Umm...ya, see that's why you keep the spider in your ear - to get rid of the trapped flies.

One day, the bugs will have it all. We're just passing through.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
sorry just ignore this post

[edit on 10-5-2007 by roswell1]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join