It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HD-DVD Code Cracked

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist...as piracy is the worst enemy of the creative arts and innovation in general....

With all due respect i take issue with this statement.I don't believe piracy is the one who kills the artist.
I have legally bought DVD's from Europe.The region code prevents me from seeing them here in North America.
I have legally bought music,and i am restricted by the DRM to listen to it how and where i want.
I do not condone piracy.I have always paid for the "entertainment" media i wanted.Just to find out that ultimately is not really mine to do what i want with it.
These days are over.The artists are getting my money if they can provide me with a direct meaning of purchasing their products.If not....
I have tried to express my opinion to the "faceless" recording industry on a few occasions.
I am happy that someone can fight this fight for the rest of us.There are people who don't want to steal,just OWN what they paid for.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Whether the industry likes it or not the genie is out of the bottle and there's no stuffing it back in. I was just out doing some casual surfing and came across it posted on a couple of sites.

Being the old fogie that I am I have no idea how to use it and probably never will. Still, it's release is being celebrated all over the net.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Whether the industry likes it or not the genie is out of the bottle and there's no stuffing it back in. I was just out doing some casual surfing and came across it posted on a couple of sites.

Being the old fogie that I am I have no idea how to use it and probably never will. Still, it's release is being celebrated all over the net.

Agreed once it has hit the internet there is no way to hide it again, so why punish a site owner because according to the DMCA they actually can't.

Google is arguing this issue right now.

Viacom Google Law Suit

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A thief is a thief. I had a copyrighted image stolen and it sucks. I had over 40 hours work in the image. I trusted a syndicated radio shows webmaster with it and got ripped off. It showed up on a cover of a foreign publication. It disappeared from the site and now the webmaster denies it existed. I am not "rich". Getting ripped off hurt. Because of this I never post images on the web any more. To many thieves on the Internet.

If through some convoluted thought process; people think this is any different than stealing a car or burglarizing someones house you are wrong. Stealing is stealing and the person who posted this belongs in jail with their own kind. Leaving that up on that site would amount to being a fence for stolen goods.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
If through some convoluted thought process; people think this is any different than stealing a car or burglarizing someones house you are wrong. Stealing is stealing and the person who posted this belongs in jail with their own kind. Leaving that up on that site would amount to being a fence for stolen goods.

You are wrong, to thieve something, you have to take something away. Duplication is not thieving, have you ever heard of counterfitters being called thieves? No because they are not stealing anything from anyone just as you still had you image on your hard drive.

If you duplicate copyrighted material, you are not charged with theft by the law.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Not true. As I was hinting at earlier, quantum cryptography is unbreakable and should be commercial reality soon.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2-5-2007 by uberarcanist]

x08

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I will agree with the legal side of cracks... I have DVDs bought in Japan, a couple I brought with me from Aus when I move to Taiwan... and they're not watchable on my DVD player~

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
As ardently pro-copyright as I am, I will agree that regional lockouts are teh suck (though they can be evaded by universal dvd players).

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The guy who "cracked" this says:

forum.doom9.org...

PS. For the keen observer: I'm not telling which player I used (well you can guess but you might guess wrong) to retrieve the Processing Key because I don't want to give the AACS LA any extra legal ammunition against any player company. Nothing was hacked, cracked or even reverse engineered btw: I only had to watch the "show" in my own memory. No debugger was used, no binaries changed.

This can be done, legally. The process by which it's done can be published, legally. I believe you could write a program, that would do all the work for ya, legally.

Publishing the number would be the only (possible) illegal activity that took place here.

Do I have that right?

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Actually, I read just yesterday that quantum cryptography may be crackable.

I cant find the link now.

I thought it was on physicsweb.org...

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Brane Power

Originally posted by hlesterjerome
Actually, I read just yesterday that quantum cryptography may be crackable.

All you have to do is pull a few strings.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Though not a hacker myself, from reading through the site in question, this does not appear to be a 'done deal' in any respect, just one significant piece of the puzzle discovered. Also, most of the main hackers involved seem to have stopped contributing to this without reason - bought-off perhaps? - just as it was getting interesting. Pity.......

External Source

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join