It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oakland Bay Bridge Freeway Collapses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Oakland Bay Bridge Freeway Collapses

news.yahoo.com

Bridge collapses after fiery truck crash on a busy section of freeway that funnels traffic from the SanFrancisco Oakland Bay Bridge.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I cant believe that this could happen just because a truck over turns! The article says that it was hot enough to melt the material of the structure and cause the collapse, thank God noone was fatally injured.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
If at least 75k commuters use this portion of the affected road daily, it is unconcievable the amount of back lash this effect will have for months to come. What was the driver doing allegedy speeding with 8,600 gallons of gas loaded? And why would the bridge collapse with just one pylon being struck? It raises concerns as to the stability of the bridge in the event of a major earthquake.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
here is another link www.sfgate.com... Interestingly enough I called my Son's house in the area and they had not heard anything about it yet. One of his roomates said that they were already experiencing travel nightmares because of the current remodeling they are doing on the Bay Bridge.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think it is a good bet the traffic in the area will be chaotic for the forseable future

It is realy hard to comprehend hpw this happen, i wonder if there is some video out there of this, that would be intresting to see, because i have trouble seeing how this went down.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I cant believe that this could happen just because a truck over turns! The article says that it was hot enough to melt the material of the structure and cause the collapse, thank God no one was fatally injured.

Yes, it's quite sobering. Here's another circumstance in which good citizenship matters. This event could have been a terrorist attack. It could have been, but it was not. Yes, I know there is an event like this in my published work, but that's why I'm here...because a few of you have mad that connection.

Anyone who FAILED high school chemistry wiould know that a fire of that type could and would destroyed the structural integrity of an elevated higheway. Now, we're going to see somebody in the media spaz because those chemical haulers are not under 24-hour armed guard. they'll make a big deal that "anyone" could get behind the wheel of such a vehicle.

Let's be the good citizens that we need to be. this was anaccident, and it needs to be dealt with accordingly. Some day, if an event like this ever happens as a terrorist act, let's have the spine to deal with it in its proper context.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I live in Oakland and I didn't know it was happening until a friend of mine in Fremont (30 minutes away) called. I don't usually watch the local infotainment channel so I missed the first reports.

It's going to be a nightmare around here until they repair it. Today's collapse happened at the part of the freeway that was left after the double deck collapsed during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Traffic around here is always bad, the freeways are too crowded. I noticed that they're routing traffic going from the south on 880 through my neighborhood to an alternate way to get to San Francisco. This is a block from my house, and the usual route I take to child exchanges with my ex.

I'm not surprised this happened. People around here are extremely aggressive drivers and rude. There is a lot of road rage activity. If someone is sitting in the fast lane and you're on his tail he'll cruise along, but the minute you try to pass him, he'll speed up and block you in using the car in the next lane.

I'd guess that someone cut the driver of the truck off too closely and he was going to fast, and that's all she wrote.

[edit on 29-4-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

XL5

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
There was no tanker truck or it was remote controlled and they used a mini nuke and thermite to bring it down! No, Im kidding, this just shows that a fuel fire and stuctural damage can do real damage. But I think it could give madmen/terrorists ideas. If there had been two more levels over the collapsed section, the bottom would have destroyed too.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This topic is already covered in another breaking news thread.

It can be found here.
California Highway Collapses After Fire.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Justin your right it should be handled accordingly. It is likely they could use this as opportunity to further agenda. MM interesting how it is on the Loma Prieta section. Again first thought was good glad it didnt happen during 9am rush traffic. Sorry to hear about the influx of traffic already affecting you. You most certainly will be experiencing an inconvienience for quite some time. Please let us know more as you experience it. Are there cameras on the bridge that could have caught this on film? XLS I hope it does not give any ideas either. It showed quite a vunerablilty.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
This topic is already covered in another breaking news thread.

It can be found here.
California Highway Collapses After Fire.

Yes, this thread is a duplicate and should be closed or moved to the Trash Bin.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The freeway section that collapsed was old and I believe it needed retrofitting anyway. So, to find the silver lining, now they can fix it better than it was.

Big whoop, the news just said Governor Schwarzenneger is coming tomorrow to view the damage.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Already here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please post your comments in the other thread

Thread closed

new topics

top topics

join