It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A real invisibility cloak!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The design calls for tiny metal needles to be fitted into a hairbrush-shaped cone at angles and lengths that would force light to pass around the cloak. This would make everything inside the cone appear to vanish because the light would no longer reflect off it.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

I don't really know what to make of this, it seems a bit unbelievable. Any thoughts or comments you guys want to share?

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Scientists in Japan recently created a material that is essentially invisible so I think this is quite feasable.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I do believe the Japanese program you're referring to has been discontinued for some time now. I don't think it was very practical for field use, and that's probably why it was shut down.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Impreza
I do believe the Japanese program you're referring to has been discontinued for some time now. I don't think it was very practical for field use, and that's probably why it was shut down.

There are a few applications that I can think of for invisiablity cloathing.
I can imagine that people like hunters and the like where stealth is essential. I would think that the military would have a lot of application for it, as well as people like the game rangers in south africa. People like that I recon.

-fm

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Dont forget about the peeping Tom

[edit on 8-4-2007 by WOGIT]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WOGIT
Dont forget about the peeping Tom

[edit on 8-4-2007 by WOGIT]

Forgot about that one. But its not really true invisability. Oh, Ive got one more, people like the police will use it as well. Easier for catching people doing the wrong thing, plus SWAT police are harder to hit as well.

-fm

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I can't believe this thread isn't getting the attention it deserves. I mean we finally have figured out invisibility and it will be ready in a few years time. I don't know what could be more exciting?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Sorry man!
There is a polymer discovered and developed in England which allows light to bend around it and, more importantly, to be reconfigured behind the object so that it appears invisible. However, if successful, the most likely application is to be for war plane invisibilty to laser and other warplanes. I bet the Ministries for Defence are already salivating...

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
The Japenese tech isn't all that miraculous.

"We have a camera behind the person wearing the coat," Mr Tachi told the BBC.
The image from the camera is then projected onto the coat, so that the wearer appears virtually transparent when seen through a viewfinder.
Beforehand "it looks like a grey coat," Mr Tachi said. "But when we project the image onto it we can see a very clear picture of what is projected."

x08

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'd love an invisibility suit... I'll even buy one in pink if I have to (but only if that's the only colour it comes in).... Where do I sign up?

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
the yahoo news link has gone, does anyone have any more information about this.

It actually sounds scaringly feasable.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   

“In order for the cloaking device to work in the first place light has to separate into two or more waves resulting in a new wave pattern. Within this pattern we get light and dark regions which are needed in order for an object to appear invisible.

“Until now, however, it was not clear whether photons – particles that make up all forms of light – can split and form new waves when the light source is close to the object. If we use ray optic techniques – where light travels in beams - photons break down at close range and the object does not appear invisible. If we study light as it travels in waves however, invisibility is maintained.”

physorg.com...

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Id call that japanese jacket more of a chameleon type jacket than invisible. I thought i also heard of a similar type of jacket that used both microcameras and fiberoptic wires. The jacket was coated in both cameras and optics, and what the camera captured on one side would be translated on the opposite side in the optics. this way, each camera has its own optic, giving it a 360 degree ability to blend in. You dont have to have it projected onto you. You achieve full 360 chameleon imagery. It was designed for the military and special ops.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by I Am The Influence
Id call that japanese jacket more of a chameleon type jacket than invisible. I thought i also heard of a similar type of jacket that used both microcameras and fiberoptic wires. The jacket was coated in both cameras and optics, and what the camera captured on one side would be translated on the opposite side in the optics. this way, each camera has its own optic, giving it a 360 degree ability to blend in. You dont have to have it projected onto you. You achieve full 360 chameleon imagery. It was designed for the military and special ops.

I believe you're talking about the suit for the Future Warrior of 2020. I saw the program on the History channel and they basically showed exactly what you just described.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
possible photo of invisible plane from C2C

www.coasttocoastam.com...

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
The suit the original poster was speaking of was deemed unfeasable.

For one, it's not actually invisible. What you see looks essentially like a shadow. It would only be good at night, in pitch black... where black clothing would have been cheaper, lighter, and just as effective.

The only cloaking material that will be of any good (That we are capable of so far) would be a suit capable of altering it's color.

Outside of that so far, the rest is either unatempted, or simply not feasable.

new topics

top topics

join